Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

TESLA Building their factory in San Jose near Mc Carthy & Ranch 99

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-08, 12:32 AM
solo
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Solo my oldest new best friend. Get me a hook up on a job there.
lol... get in line.. haha
Old 09-23-08, 12:20 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by solo
I can probably get us a CL tour of the facility once it is complete. A good friend is an employee for Tesla.
FIELD TRIP! Havent had one of those in YEARS!
Old 09-25-08, 12:38 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tcho82
It was actually a middle aged guy. Probably mid 40's.
I think I saw the same one, did it have dealer plates? I posted a pic I took of it with my camera phone in Car Chat, here's the link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=380148
Old 10-15-08, 11:51 AM
LSCJJ
Lexus Champion

Tesla is in trouble?

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/235394/
Old 10-15-08, 04:05 PM
J:M
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CthruIS350
Possibly, here's more details.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/1...-off-staff/?hp
Old 10-16-08, 02:35 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_10727401

Tesla Motors announces layoffs; Musk to assume CEO post

By Matt Nauman and Pete Carey

Mercury News

Tesla Motors is putting its Model S sedan on hold, closing the Michigan facility that was working on some of the sedan's engineering and laying off an unspecified number of people, the company confirmed Wednesday.

Tesla told San Jose officials that it will focus on selling its Roadster and power trains, and that it still intends to build a plant and its headquarters in San Jose, although the schedule may slip a bit.

Production of the Model S in San Jose will be pushed back six months, to mid-2011, said company founder Elon Musk, who also announced that he will assume the role of chief executive officer. He replaces Ze'ev Drori, who becomes vice chairman and continues as a board member.

There are 30 people working at Tesla's Rochester Hills, Mich., facility, according to a company spokeswoman. The Model S is a five-passenger, four-door luxury car. Its exterior and power train are completed, but the Michigan plant was working on its engineering.

A blog post by Musk on Wednesday blamed the credit crunch for the decision.

"These are extraordinary times,'' Musk wrote. "The global financial system has gone through the worst crisis since the Great Depression, and the effects are only beginning to wind their way through every facet of the economy. It's not an understatement to say that nearly every business will be impacted by what has unfolded in the past weeks, and this is true for Silicon Valley as well.''

Musk said the

company's goal is to become cash-flow positive in six to nine months. To do that, it is ramping down the Michigan facility "in anticipation'' of moving vehicle engineering to San Jose, Musk said in his blog. The company will focus on selling its Roadster and power trains.

Instead of trying to raise capital in private markets for the Model S, the company has decided to wait for a federal Department of Energy loan guarantee "at a very low cost'' of capital, Musk said. First, the company must receive environmental approval for its planned 89-acre San Jose plant, which Musk said he expected in the second quarter of 2009.

One Web report Wednesday said half of Tesla's staff would be pink-slipped, but the company denied that. It declined to announce a number, saying a head-count review was still under way, but Musk called the reduction "modest." Tesla employs 250 people.

The situation raises eyebrows in San Jose, which recently landed Tesla's factory, as Mayor Chuck Reed announced a North San Jose location with Drori and Musk in a well-publicized ceremony.

Musk told Reed's staff of the layoffs Wednesday morning. Reed said he understands the decision to trim the company's staff is related to the global credit crunch, but that it won't affect plans in San Jose.

"We're glad they're not going to be a fatality in this credit crunch,''

Reed said.
Old 10-23-08, 10:48 PM
al7ezza
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_10727401

Tesla Motors announces layoffs; Musk to assume CEO post
Reed said.
Every company has tighten its belt these days... Oh boy