Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

recommendation needed for good stereo installer in Fremont area

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-08, 05:37 PM
ProfessorP
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recommendation needed for good stereo installer in Fremont area

Hi there - I'm about to replace my 1997 ES300 Pioneer factory stereo with an AVIC-F900BT navigation unit. Need a good reputable place that can install this (I have the unit already) without trying to upsell me on stuff. Any recommendations? TIA

Last edited by ProfessorP; 10-27-08 at 05:39 PM. Reason: misleading title
Old 10-29-08, 11:41 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Juniors Car Stereo in fremont on Fremont BLVD close to the railroad.

Ask for Junior and say "The guy with the White Lexus from Dublin Toyota refered me to you"
Old 10-30-08, 09:56 AM
LSCJJ
Lexus Champion

pacific stereo in fremont, ca. just go in with cash and lowball them. if ur just looking for headunit install its pretty cheap there. theres not much "quality" in going in a head unit install. take it out, put it in, hook it up.

gl.
Old 10-30-08, 01:21 PM
ProfessorP
Rookie

thanks for the info guys. I've seen mixed reviews on Yelp for both Junior and Pacific Stereo so it's good to hear another Lexus owner with a vouch.

The things I want to avoid (which I've heard from other stereo installers) are things like - extensive rewiring needed (I want to use my existing factory wiring to my existing factory speakers), putting in a new amp thus adding another $200-300 to the cost (though some on ClubLexus have recommended this), and changing out the speakers (I'm a middle-aged guy so I'm not going to have a lot of bass or loud volume pumping out of my speakers). I also wanted someone who was familar enough with Lexus cars to have the specific mount kit available without special ordering and to figure out the wiring and how to bypass the factory amp quickly.
Old 10-30-08, 06:29 PM
LSCJJ
Lexus Champion

You willl need a toyota / lexus harness when adding an aftermarket headunit to the car. This runs pretty cheap. They should have this in stock @ pacific easily.
Im not sure what kind of speaker sizes ES300 have, but should readily available if its normal sizing.

as far as amps, i personally do not have much experience in swapping aftermarket amps with stock amp systems, as i work with sub systems. In regards to installing a head unit and speakers this is actaully a straight forward install and can actually be DIY at home.

Is there a reason why you need new speakers? stock ones blown?
you only need the following:

1) headunit
2) toyota / lexus head unit harness
3) speakers

stock amps should power the system easily. if you do not want loud music or bass, aftermarket amps are really not needed. needed if you are adding a subwoofer system.
Old 10-30-08, 09:57 PM
ShaneC
Lexus Champion

simple fix.... http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=1334

no cutting... everything works... call it a day!
Old 10-31-08, 09:52 PM
ProfessorP
Rookie

anyone have experience with Guru Electronics over on Commercial by 101 and 13th Ave in San Jose? I went there to buy my Metra 95-8155 double DIN mount kit since they seem to be the place that other stereo installers go to to get parts. They happen to also do installs as well and they said that they could do my car for $150 and they would throw in the override for free that would allow me to watch DVDs while my car was moving (yeah yeah I know the dangers of it - I'd never watch it but its good to know that I have the option). That's about $75 cheaper than what Junior in Fremont was offering.
Old 11-01-08, 02:12 AM
phrozen
Lead Lap

that toyota amp intergration harness is ur last resort imo, i never use them and i do this for a living. ur best bet is to have it rewired. i believe on ur year it is under the pass front seat. they are not tryign to upsell you they are tryign to tell you the right way to do it, cost $ to have things done right. i run the installation shop at bestbuy in city, if you wanted to drive out there i could prob hook u up but ill give u a bestbuy price rundown if ur interested.

Basic indash 99.99
Seat removal 19.99
Speed wire 29.99
Materials fee 5.00
Amp bypass 44.99

$200 bucks lifetime warranty on work, and i can tell you were gonna be around longer then those shops. i can also tell you there are alot of lazy installers out there that work for bestbuy and elsewhere. u gotta get lucky or make sure u have the lead tech at the shop working on ur car.

if you wanted to come out to the city i could hook u up with a deal. but thats abotu goign rate 150-250 depending on the shop. like i said dont use that integration harness crap, ive seen 3 diff problems with them over the years, alt whine, speaker poping, and faulty pinning/rca plugs
Old 11-01-08, 09:57 AM
ShaneC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by phrozen
that toyota amp intergration harness is ur last resort imo, i never use them and i do this for a living. ur best bet is to have it rewired. i believe on ur year it is under the pass front seat. they are not tryign to upsell you they are tryign to tell you the right way to do it, cost $ to have things done right. i run the installation shop at bestbuy in city, if you wanted to drive out there i could prob hook u up but ill give u a bestbuy price rundown if ur interested.

Basic indash 99.99
Seat removal 19.99
Speed wire 29.99
Materials fee 5.00
Amp bypass 44.99

$200 bucks lifetime warranty on work, and i can tell you were gonna be around longer then those shops. i can also tell you there are alot of lazy installers out there that work for bestbuy and elsewhere. u gotta get lucky or make sure u have the lead tech at the shop working on ur car.

if you wanted to come out to the city i could hook u up with a deal. but thats abotu goign rate 150-250 depending on the shop. like i said dont use that integration harness crap, ive seen 3 diff problems with them over the years, alt whine, speaker poping, and faulty pinning/rca plugs
SOLD!! goooo best buy! i worked at the comma branch before. i gave that option cause its cheap.
Old 11-01-08, 12:52 PM
LSCJJ
Lexus Champion

^^ Thats a good write up. cant go wrong.
Old 11-03-08, 12:20 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 500 Likes on 249 Posts

i work at Circuit City out of San Mateo if your interested in driving across the bridge.
i have the amp intergration harness (never had any problems with amp integration harness, as long as its a good high quality stereo, there will be no alternator whine) in stock but of course i will need to special order kit but thats not a problem,
*side note though I dont like how the single DIN Metra Kit is for the ES300, its not very sturdy because its entirely out of plastic, double din may use factory metal bracklets so it might be a little better.. <===just looked at the directions for the installation kit, it sure does use the factory bracklets so definetly will be sturdy. kit finish will not match any dash panels though. sanding and painting might make it a close match.
been installing for 5 years
it'll probably bit alittle bit over $200 installed thats including kit and harness
PM me if interested..
i

Last edited by specONE; 11-03-08 at 12:31 AM.
Old 11-03-08, 10:29 AM
phrozen
Lead Lap

i would highly recomend, getting the oem "oversized" doubledin bezel from the dealer, ive seen thos es kits and there junk. i believe its either a jdm piece or and option on the 01' that came with nav? im not 100% sure but i have seen 97-01 es with factory double din nav.
Old 11-03-08, 01:46 PM
ProfessorP
Rookie

so I wound up going on the cheap, sort of. I went to Pacific Stereo in Fremont, mainly because it was open on Sunday. They quoted me $100 for the install. I wanted the video bypass, so they quoted me another $100 for it. I had thought it was nothing more than a toggle switch but apparently they said that toggle switches wouldn't work and I got sold a Bosch video bypass relay which apparently was close to $100. Even though it sounded way too expensive, I went for it anyway as the total price was $200 out the door and the place was convenient to my house. Does $100 extra sound right?

The installation went fine I guess. Need to put in the firmware upgrade for the AVIC-F900BT that came out last week.

By the way, here were some of the other quotes that I got, along with some notes:

All-Pro Audio in San Jose - $300 for installation, includes video bypass
ASP in Daly City (they do a lot of business with Lexus of Serramonte) - $200, plus $100 for the video bypass
Junior Stereo in Fremont - $200 for installation plus $25 for video bypass.
Guru Electronics in San Jose - $150 for everything (though they said that all that was needed for a video bypass was a toggle switch)
Old 11-03-08, 01:57 PM
ProfessorP
Rookie

the only slightly irritating thing is that whenever I turn off my engine, the speaker does pop. The answer I got from Pacific Stereo seems a bit confusing, something along the lines that because the subwoofer in the back is now connected to the Pioneer head unit instead of the factory amp. The only way to get rid of the pop is to replace the subwoofer with something compatible with the head unit. Otherwise, he said nothing to worry about. Does this sound right?
Old 11-03-08, 01:57 PM
phrozen
Lead Lap

you dont need a toggle switch,relay. if you to go avic411 there is "1" wire that needs to be repined literally takes 30sec. and thats all. also there is a new way to bypass the 700,900,90 series all you have to do is change 1 value setting that is on a binary style multiplier. sounds hard but very easy, you got had on that bosh relay assembly. we sell those relays for 10bucks or give them away to nice customers cuz i have a boat load. all these shops are trying to take ur money and dont know what they are doing, there is no need for a toggle switch or relay.

you should do some research on avic411 about the bypass, update, and the new mods you can do to reskin your fseries. you can basicially change every icon background color of everyand anything on ur fseries.

if they just used a reg bosch 5pin relay i would be piseed for you. they prob said u need the relay charged you for it never used any relay of any sort and ya...

either way i guess you paid the goign rate for install. =/

Quick Reply: recommendation needed for good stereo installer in Fremont area