Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Will cops pull you over for 50% front tint?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-08, 11:18 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it depends on the cop, but most of the time they would add the tint fix it(is it even a fix it anymore?) to other mods like exhaust and no front plate because you probably ran a red light or did a California rolling stop

Just get 35% all around and open your sun roof to let light in
Old 12-23-08, 10:56 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think any of us have all the required materials kept in his/her vehicles listed in the CVC26708(d). Thus, If you have a non-transparent, non clear front tint, you are subjected to receive a ticket. However, luck is another subject, I got a no front license plat ticket couple months ago and the CHP wrote me for the no plate but verbal warning on the front tint...
Old 12-23-08, 08:56 PM
Ikonz350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just got pulled over tonite for tint.. i have 35% and now i gotta get it removed...is there i shop i can take it 2 or can i do it myself?? anyone from sacramento know anyone that can write off my ticket?? help is appreciated..
Old 12-23-08, 09:26 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

I got pulled over for speeding and the cop gave me a tint ticket instead of the speeding ticket does that count? i got 15% front 5% rear.
Old 12-23-08, 09:30 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Is tint still a fix it ticket? I've heard rumors it isnt anymore, can anyone confirm?
Old 12-24-08, 09:07 AM
jns350
Lexus Champion

I think Milpitas has one of the most ticket happy cops in the bay area...I'm always paranoid while driving there...last time I went to traffic school 3 peeps in class were givin tickets for driving just over 2-4 miles over the speed limit..no Sh+@!!! so tint would be fair game for them....and the "CA hwypatrol website" states..no tint in front windows no matter what %...
Old 12-24-08, 01:09 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

ok, no more tint for me.
Old 12-24-08, 03:52 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 what everybody else said. if an officer pulls you over he already has PC. if he really wants to be a richard-head he will take his fingernail and run it along your window...if ANY film is there period, you'll get the ticket.

What I have noticed with a lot of fuzz is if you tint all your back windows a darker shade then the front windows lets say.....32/12 or something like that, you will more than likely get away with it.

.02 cents.

P.S. if your car is done clean.. meaning clean tasteful mods, not something outrageous and obnoxious the cop behind you will more then likely say, "nice ride" in his head and pass you on by and get the other guy who has the same tinted windows as you who has a not so tasteful ride......just something ive noticed. the %tage of cops out there are pretty young. or young at heart...whatever
Old 12-24-08, 04:39 PM
ShaneC
Lexus Champion

i also just remembered. most of the time when i get tickets for tint is when a cop is coming by and i roll down the window just as i see him or roll up the window just as i see him. i think that probably makes it stand out even more and the cop would follow me for a little bit and then pull me over. fun stuff.
Old 12-24-08, 11:30 PM
justinSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ShaneC
i also just remembered. most of the time when i get tickets for tint is when a cop is coming by and i roll down the window just as i see him or roll up the window just as i see him. i think that probably makes it stand out even more and the cop would follow me for a little bit and then pull me over. fun stuff.
Exact opposite for me. I always roll down my windows when cops roll by but the few times I don't I've gotten a ticket.
Old 12-30-08, 04:34 PM
smoothLEX
Driver

Never had any issues with tinted front windows.
Old 12-30-08, 06:49 PM
dmjay
Rookie

I would say youll be ok with 50%..its when you enter into the 15 to 20% is where it depends on the area you drive around.

I got my tint done (15% all around) at rocky and i dont dare drive in norcal, until i drive back down to socal for school as they more chill with tint. hope that helps. Happy New Years
Old 01-04-09, 08:30 PM
enrikito
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jan 1, 2009 / 10am / CA152W, just past CA156

I'm on my way from SanJo to LA. Not speeding, not tailgating, no wreckless driving, just cruising like always... CHP car comes out of nowhere and pulls me over for front tint (I have 35% front, and just a bit darker on the rear). First time ever being pulled over, got me a fix it ticket. What a crappy way to start 2009.

After getting my license and paperwork, the officer walked to the front of my car... I think maybe to check if I had my front plate, then walked back to his car. Front plate holder came with the car, and he didn't notice the blue fog overlays, lucky me...
Old 01-04-09, 11:01 PM
dmjay
Rookie

Originally Posted by enrikito
Jan 1, 2009 / 10am / CA152W, just past CA156

I'm on my way from SanJo to LA. Not speeding, not tailgating, no wreckless driving, just cruising like always... CHP car comes out of nowhere and pulls me over for front tint (I have 35% front, and just a bit darker on the rear). First time ever being pulled over, got me a fix it ticket. What a crappy way to start 2009.

After getting my license and paperwork, the officer walked to the front of my car... I think maybe to check if I had my front plate, then walked back to his car. Front plate holder came with the car, and he didn't notice the blue fog overlays, lucky me...
im sorry to hear enrikito...i guess the cop wanted to start his quota bright and early. I just did that trip today as well and passed by 4 cops today. 1 on the 5 near the 152, 1 near the 5 and 10 and 2 in long beach as i was dropping off my friend.
Old 01-08-09, 10:14 PM
enrikito
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Update: $164 for bail forfeiture...

Now debating if I should pay it... or just fix it and have a lighter tint put back on later...

Quick Reply: Will cops pull you over for 50% front tint?