Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

This is why I hate CHP

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-08, 12:58 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by f=ma
I live off of highway 9, for all you bay area owners. That means I have to deal with CHP for about half a mile every day. Today, I drive past a CHP and he gives me the dirtiest look and then pulls me over. I wasn't speeding or nothing. And he follows me almost to my home, pulls me over, and cites me for tint and no front license plate. Seriously, those are supposed to be added on to real violation. But the tool bag, who'd rather cite me for a infraction while i was driving peacefully to get me a coffee, rather than catch speeding bikers. complete bull****. The sheriffs who patrol the rest of the town are pretty nice. One even said that "he should cite me but he wont". i hate CHP.

btw im just gonna remove my tint, but anyone know a good way to install a front license without drilling holes in my front bumper. Like a tow hook plate holder?
I drive on HWY 9 all the time but i barely see any police officers in the morning. Were you in saratoga or monte serano?

I believe tint is 120 fix it and 15 for front licenses plate.
Old 12-31-08, 01:01 PM
JJSoCrazy
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can try one of two for the license plate, I am thinking about it on my next car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF3NF0aC484

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnrfk...eature=related

Joe
Old 12-31-08, 01:03 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live off of highway 9, for all you bay area owners. That means I have to deal with CHP for about half a mile every day. Today, I drive past a CHP and he gives me the dirtiest look and then pulls me over. I wasn't speeding or nothing. And he follows me almost to my home, pulls me over, and cites me for tint and no front license plate. Seriously, those are supposed to be added on to real violation. But the tool bag, who'd rather cite me for a infraction while i was driving peacefully to get me a coffee, rather than catch speeding bikers. complete bull****. The sheriffs who patrol the rest of the town are pretty nice. One even said that "he should cite me but he wont". i hate CHP.

btw im just gonna remove my tint, but anyone know a good way to install a front license without drilling holes in my front bumper. Like a tow hook plate holder?
Is it so hard to understand? The officer was simply doing his job. You're driving a car that gets a lot of attention and, while doing so, flaunting the law. This is not about which is more serious, no front license plate or a speeding biker, rather it's about discretion and common sense. An IS-F gets noticed and you were as much as daring the officer to ignore you. It's your choice not to install a front license plate or apply a darker tint despite the legal requirements, which is all the more reason not to curse the officer or the law when you are caught in those acts.
Old 01-01-09, 05:59 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
Is it so hard to understand? The officer was simply doing his job. You're driving a car that gets a lot of attention and, while doing so, flaunting the law. This is not about which is more serious, no front license plate or a speeding biker, rather it's about discretion and common sense. An IS-F gets noticed and you were as much as daring the officer to ignore you. It's your choice not to install a front license plate or apply a darker tint despite the legal requirements, which is all the more reason not to curse the officer or the law when you are caught in those acts.
DAMN YOU COMMON SENSE!!!!!!

anyone knows what happens if I pay the fine and i get caught again?

Last edited by f=ma; 01-01-09 at 06:04 AM.
Old 01-01-09, 05:59 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
I drive on HWY 9 all the time but i barely see any police officers in the morning. Were you in saratoga or monte serano?

I believe tint is 120 fix it and 15 for front licenses plate.
i live in saratoga on a road which is off of hwy 9.
Old 01-01-09, 07:43 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

In Texas they require front license plates as well. I keep mine in my trunk and if/when I get pulled over I throw it inside my car and put it right behind my windshield. I would do this as well, I haven't received any tickets for it yet (knock on wood).

The problem with California DMV passenger vehicle law is that is expressively states that it has to have a bracket or the proper tools required to have it fastened to the front of the vehicle so the throwing it behind the windshield might not work depending on the cop, although it shows them that you have the plate. It is worth a try

Link for California VC (vehicle code)

As far as tint, that's just a risk we all take with it being illegal. I'd strip it for the day you go to court if you don't want to pay then have it put back on (although this can run more then paying the fine itself) or just pay the fine good luck!
Old 01-01-09, 07:44 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

DAMN YOU COMMON SENSE!!!!!!

anyone knows what happens if I pay the fine and i get caught again?
Unless the citation also required you to "correct" the infraction, my guess is that the worst that could happen would be another fine.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-09, 09:28 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
Unless the citation also required you to "correct" the infraction, my guess is that the worst that could happen would be another fine.

Happy New Year!
Im with you just pay it unless you have to fix it.
Old 01-01-09, 04:58 PM
stick
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just pay the full "bail"/fine on both items and leave them as is. It's not a big deal.

As for him actually citing you....come on....he's doing his job: writing tickets!!! It seems petty, but most of the vehicle code is. You are admitting to having tinted windows and no front plate, and when you get a ticket for each you cry and complain! Lame.....

Tickets are revenue for the state/county/city you are cited in. Tickets make money!!..and they keep people in check for doing stupid/foolish things, even when those "things" are petty.
Old 01-01-09, 06:47 PM
royal5fan
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

I just went through this a few months ago. If the ticket was marked as an infraction and correctable, the fine is $10 and must be signed off by a CHP officer after removing the tint. If not, the fine was $235 and still must be signed off as removed. If you put the tint back on, the same happens all over again if you are caught again. I verified all of this through a relative who is CHP before I removed the tint. Sorry for the bad news.
Old 01-01-09, 08:10 PM
DeviousOne
Lead Lap

Thumbs down

If I was that officer, and with the attitude you seem to have, I would have made it non-correctable and hit you where it hurts (your wallet).

Seriously, If you don't want to be "harassed' then don't give the police a reason to pull you over. It's really quite simple.
Old 01-02-09, 12:40 AM
CrazyTrain
Pole Position

So...does any IS-F owner have the front plate on their F?
Old 01-02-09, 01:17 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CrazyTrain
So...does any IS-F owner have the front plate on their F?
I do... I requested the dealer not to put it on, but when I called it was too late. At first I was pretty mad about it, and I was looking into bumper plugs.. but then now I'm used to it, and it's not so bad. Ultimately, I don't want to give the police any excuse to pull me over, so I think it's less hassle just to have it on and not have to worry about it. Also, I drive around LAX area sometimes, and the cops there are notorious for front license tickets.
Old 01-02-09, 01:23 AM
CrazyTrain
Pole Position

I'm still debating over the front plate. I agree, don't need to give the po po more reasons to pull us over. They should allow all motorists to pay a small tax or fee to be exempt from using a front plate.
Old 01-02-09, 01:32 AM
hughncali
Rookie

Cops don't mess you in Fl compared to Cali. I just got pulled over by the CHP again today for tinted tail lights.

Quick Reply: This is why I hate CHP