Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

This is why I hate CHP

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-09, 01:35 AM
hughncali
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01_TraN
What a jerk. Same thing happened to me the other day. CHP pulled me over for doing 60MPH in a 55MPH zone. I was like WTF? Then at the end he said "I dont want to stand in the rain writting you a ticket." I wasnt even driving wreckless or anything. I was on cruised at 60MPH for like 5 miles already. Yeah, I hate CPH also. If I were you, find another member on this forum who lives near you with the same color car and just find an officer to clear you off. This way you wont have to remove anything and just pay for the fixing ticket. Then again, it will be difficult to find someone who is willing to do so =]
Not a good idea. They will check the VIN number and don't be surprised of how pissed off they'll be.
Old 01-02-09, 09:44 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DeviousOne
If I was that officer, and with the attitude you seem to have, I would have made it non-correctable and hit you where it hurts (your wallet).

Seriously, If you don't want to be "harassed' then don't give the police a reason to pull you over. It's really quite simple.
My attitude had nothing to do with it. I was more the courteous, I even gave him directions out of my neighborhood. We all the bend the rules sometimes. I'm just venting that he went after me, after hiding behind a benz which had no front plate either.
Old 01-02-09, 12:24 PM
foup
Driver

I take that road often but Bear Creek even more, it's extremely rare when I see a CHP there and when I see one, it's always the same guy, for the past 5+ year. Can you describe the guy quickly?

When I bought my F I had asked for no front license plate but was strongly discouraged by the dealer, so I got it. As for the tint, I only did the rear window, awaiting to see if I wanted to do all windows. What percentage of tint did you have? For sure, it's best to avoid illegal mods if you want the LEO to leave you alone.

Peace.
Old 01-02-09, 12:31 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hughncali
Cops don't mess you in Fl compared to Cali. I just got pulled over by the CHP again today for tinted tail lights.
Really? It doesn't even look dark in your sig.. Or was it not tinted when you took the pix?
Old 01-02-09, 10:16 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by foup
I take that road often but Bear Creek even more, it's extremely rare when I see a CHP there and when I see one, it's always the same guy, for the past 5+ year. Can you describe the guy quickly?

When I bought my F I had asked for no front license plate but was strongly discouraged by the dealer, so I got it. As for the tint, I only did the rear window, awaiting to see if I wanted to do all windows. What percentage of tint did you have? For sure, it's best to avoid illegal mods if you want the LEO to leave you alone.

Peace.
32% all around. Not too dark. I don't mod my cars, except my 335i which has a ecu piggyback. Lately theres been a lot of CHP around, but I never had an issue. They are usually there to bust the bikers and the out of town spirit drivers. They usually leave us townies alone.
Old 01-03-09, 02:26 AM
hughncali
Rookie

Originally Posted by primecut
Really? It doesn't even look dark in your sig.. Or was it not tinted when you took the pix?
The IS-F is now in Tampa, Florida. I have no worries about cops pulling me over for petty things in Tampa. Cops in Tampa are so much more laid back, it's pretty wierd, since being from California. One time at a stop light, a Florida cop turned on their siren, smiled, and told me that he saw me speeding in my Gallardo the night before on their speaker system. This would've never happened in L.A.

However in L.A., I got pulled over on the 5 freeway in a different car which had tinted tail lamps. Sucks, but the cop was doing his job, which is to write tickets and lecture why it's so dangerous to modify your cars. The tint was barely smoked and I could've argued, but signed away to move on. It's not cheap to look good.
Old 01-04-09, 04:45 AM
howdybob22
Pole Position

Default Extra Tax

Originally Posted by f=ma
They usually leave us townies alone.
They probably did until Cali fell $20 billion in the hole. I was just there in the Bay area over Christmas visiting family and saw a cop pulling over a Jaguar that was not speeding and completely stock (no tint, lowered etc). The jag was next to me and I was not speeding - I saw the cop earlier coming down on a ramp

Here in WA where we're also $5.7 billion in the hole, a few enforcement cameras sprouted up around where I live - Yep, already got nailed with a ticket from one of them damn cameras. Also, I noticed cops camping out more and enforcing traffic laws a little more rigorously than before. These are the little things that we have to put up with when our state needs MONEY.
Old 01-04-09, 08:56 AM
damnboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
In Texas they require front license plates as well. I keep mine in my trunk and if/when I get pulled over I throw it inside my car and put it right behind my windshield. I would do this as well, I haven't received any tickets for it yet (knock on wood).
Big Mike,

Not sure if the following bill is passed or not.. i heard if your vehicle is registered after September 1, 2007 you don't need front plate. I hope this is true.
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs...l/HB01666I.HTM
Old 01-04-09, 09:41 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by damnboy
Big Mike,

Not sure if the following bill is passed or not.. i heard if your vehicle is registered after September 1, 2007 you don't need front plate. I hope this is true.
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs...l/HB01666I.HTM
Don't want to highjack the thread, check your PM
Old 01-04-09, 08:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyTrain
So...does any IS-F owner have the front plate on their F?
Don't have one. Never will. Just another small reason I left California and moved to Georgia.
Old 01-04-09, 10:44 PM
larrysb
Driver

Just put the damn thing on.

One thing I liked about my Corvette is that the front license plate holder was interchangeable with the color-matched filler. It was no big deal to swap them out and completely reversible.

On the ISF, there's no choice but to drill the bumper and put it on.
Old 01-05-09, 01:03 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nor...nt-tint-2.html

sucks to see that happen......but

dont forget CA is gonna be bankrupt soon....

so think this way:

CHP is trying to offset that and you are just helping out to balance the f***ed up budget.....

Last edited by kickin8; 01-05-09 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-05-09, 09:00 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by royal5fan
I just went through this a few months ago. If the ticket was marked as an infraction and correctable, the fine is $10 and must be signed off by a CHP officer after removing the tint. If not, the fine was $235 and still must be signed off as removed. If you put the tint back on, the same happens all over again if you are caught again. I verified all of this through a relative who is CHP before I removed the tint. Sorry for the bad news.
Im not so sure about the tint part, but I know for the license plate it does not have to be signed off by CHP. My g/f got pulled over by a CHP (on a regular city road) and he told her any cop could sign it off, and that is exactly what happened. She found a cop who signed it off and she paid the $10 fine or whatever it was.

Somehow, she was also given a written warning about tint on the car. Not too sure what the point is in that, but whatever... haha

I agree with some of the last few comments about the budget deficiency and seeing more people being ticketed. In the past 4 days I have seen cops out everywhere and seemingly (or not), a lot more people being pulled over so I hope that everyone here realizes that not having a plate or having tint is just giving more reason to be pulled over. But yeah, it seems petty to be given a fix-it ticket; I guess we in California will solve our budget problems one $10 ticket at a time!

Last edited by 92 SC400; 01-05-09 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-05-09, 11:53 AM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

Can someone else confirm this, but I read in a news article that starting new year, new Fees increase in Cali. For example, I think the new fix it ticket increase additional $15, and other fees. Good Luck folks.

I think the new year-fees increase is different from the one they're "proposing" right now. So there might be additional fees in the futures folks.

92 SC400, the last 4 days you noticed lots of cops because of "full enforcement" for new year week.

Traffic fees, penalties increased
Under SB1407, written by state Sen. Don Perata, D-Oakland, the penalty for moving violations increases by $35, traffic violator school attendance fees by $25, fix-it-ticket fees by $15 and parking fees by $3.

Others laws

No txt msg
Drivers can no longer write, send or read text messages from any wireless communications device under a law Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed in September, making California the sixth state to ban text-messaging while driving.

Previously texting was illegal only for individuals under 18, but has been expanded to all drivers.

Drivers can be assessed a $20 fine for a first offense and $50 for subsequent offenses. Violation of the ban is also a primary offense that can trigger a traffic stop for drivers under 18.

Clean air stickers
In response to news that clean air stickers were being copied and sold on eBay, state Sen. Alan Lowenthal, D-Long Beach, authored SB1720. It prohibits the counterfeiting of “clean air stickers” issued by the DMV. The stickers authorize clean vehicles to use high occupancy vehicle lanes during peak hours without the required number of passengers.

Windshield GPS placement
SB1576, authored by state Sen. Jenny Oropeza, D-Long Beach, authorizes the mounting of a GPS device on the windshield of a car, if done so within a seven-inch square on the lower passenger side of the windshield or within a five-inch square on the lower driver’s side of the windshield.

Greenhouse gas reduction
SB375 requires regional transportation plans to contain a sustainable communities strategy designed to achieve greenhouse gas emission reductions by cars and lightweight trucks. The Air Resources Board must provide each region with emissions target goals. State Sen. Darrell Stienberg, D-Sacramento, authored the bill.

Used vehicle tickets
AB2401, authored by Assemblywoman Betty Karnette, D-Long Beach, and sponsored by the Auto Club of Southern California, protects the purchaser of a used vehicle from having to pay the parking tickets of the previous owner.

http://www.theunion.com/article/2009...ws%20to%20know

Last edited by speed_Demo; 01-05-09 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-05-09, 12:26 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Well we all play a cat and mouse game with the cops once we mod our vehicles past OEM specs. I live in MD and get harrased more in Northern VA than my own state. I got pulled over for tint and front tags in VA about 2 years ago. So I went ahead and had a custom bracket made for the front tag and mounted it. The tint ticket in VA was just a "fine" go figure, it seems revenue was the motivation. Never got harrased in my own home state (MD)for neither. I've been to FL and unless you're doing something crazy they won't harass you.

Quick Reply: This is why I hate CHP