Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Legal in CA to put a license plate cover over plate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-09, 02:08 PM
intrinsic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Legal in CA to put a license plate cover over plate?

Went to my local PepBoys the other day to pick up some car cleaning stuff and noticed that they sell smoked license plate covers to put over your plate to protect it. I was just wondering if I did get one of these for my front and back plates... would i get harassed by the police?

heres a link to a kragen site

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/productd...egoryCode=3145
Old 02-08-09, 03:38 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

You will get harassed. I don't know about the clear ones, but the smoked ones will probably get you pulled over.
Old 02-08-09, 08:34 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

License plate covers? Why?
Old 02-08-09, 10:17 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

You are not allowed to affix ANYTHING to your license plate. Period.
Old 02-08-09, 10:42 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Clear covers are fine. Smoke covers are questionable. If cops tend to notice you already then skip it. if not you may be fine. I ran a smoked rear cover and no front plate on my Durango since 2000. Got a front plate ticket and not even a work on the rear cover.

See California Vehicle Code below:

Division 3, Chapter 1, Article 9, Section 5201

~~~

(f) A covering shall not be used on license plates except as follows:

(1) The installation of a cover over a lawfully parked vehicle to protect it from the weather and the elements does not constitute a violation of this subdivision. Any peace officer or other regularly salaried employee of a public agency designated to enforce laws, including local ordinances, relating to the parking of vehicles may temporarily remove so much of the cover as is necessary to inspect any license plate, tab, or indicia of registration on a vehicle.

(2) The installation of a license plate security cover is not a violation of this subdivision if the device does not obstruct or impair the recognition of the license plate information, including, but not limited to, the issuing state, license plate number, and registration tabs, and the cover is limited to the area directly over the top of the registration tabs. No portion of a license plate security cover shall rest over the license plate number.

A casing, shield, frame, border, product, or other device that obstructs or impairs the reading or recognition of a license plate by an electronic device operated by state or local law enforcement, an electronic device operated in connection with a toll road, high-occupancy toll lane, toll bridge, or other toll facility, or a remote emission sensing device, as specified in Sections 44081 and 44081.6 of the Health and Safety Code, shall not be installed on, or affixed to, a vehicle.
Old 02-08-09, 11:01 PM
intrinsic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Debonair
Clear covers are fine. Smoke covers are questionable. If cops tend to notice you already then skip it. if not you may be fine. I ran a smoked rear cover and no front plate on my Durango since 2000. Got a front plate ticket and not even a work on the rear cover.[/B]
interesting.... i might just go without the cover. thanks for all the advice folks!
Old 02-09-09, 09:33 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You most likely won't be bothered with front CLEAR cover. I have it on my other car due to the JDM front bumper mounting holes... it's been okay for 6 years.
Old 10-26-15, 05:02 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I know this is a VERY old thread, but what about a lightly tinted FRONT license plate cover? My back plate would have no cover at all.
Old 10-26-15, 05:31 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Debonair
Clear covers are fine. Smoke covers are questionable. If cops tend to notice you already then skip it. if not you may be fine. I ran a smoked rear cover and no front plate on my Durango since 2000. Got a front plate ticket and not even a work on the rear cover.

See California Vehicle Code below:

Division 3, Chapter 1, Article 9, Section 5201

5201. ~~~

(f) A covering shall not be used on license plates except as follows:

(1) The installation of a cover over a lawfully parked vehicle to protect it from the weather and the elements does not constitute a violation of this subdivision. Any peace officer or other regularly salaried employee of a public agency designated to enforce laws, including local ordinances, relating to the parking of vehicles may temporarily remove so much of the cover as is necessary to inspect any license plate, tab, or indicia of registration on a vehicle.

(2) The installation of a license plate security cover is not a violation of this subdivision if the device does not obstruct or impair the recognition of the license plate information, including, but not limited to, the issuing state, license plate number, and registration tabs, and the cover is limited to the area directly over the top of the registration tabs. No portion of a license plate security cover shall rest over the license plate number.

A casing, shield, frame, border, product, or other device that obstructs or impairs the reading or recognition of a license plate by an electronic device operated by state or local law enforcement, an electronic device operated in connection with a toll road, high-occupancy toll lane, toll bridge, or other toll facility, or a remote emission sensing device, as specified in Sections 44081 and 44081.6 of the Health and Safety Code, shall not be installed on, or affixed to, a vehicle.

this is wrong, you are misinterpreting the law.

subsection (1) is talking about a CAR COVER, not a plate cover

subsection (2) clearly states that the cover may only cover the registration stickers/tab.

it clearly states:

"No portion of a license plate security cover shall rest over the license plate number."

Clear or otherwise is illegal if it covers the actual plate numbers. I've been cited for a clear cover over the plate, I fought it and lost.. NOTHING can cover the plate numbers.

Originally Posted by NXOwner
I know this is a VERY old thread, but what about a lightly tinted FRONT license plate cover? My back plate would have no cover at all.

see above there is no distinction between front or rear, covering the plate is illegal period.

you can do whatever you want, but just know a LEO can cite you for it.
Old 11-02-15, 11:49 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by mjeds
Clear or otherwise is illegal if it covers the actual plate numbers. I've been cited for a clear cover over the plate, I fought it and lost.. NOTHING can cover the plate numbers.
If you don't mind me asking, where were you cited for having a clear cover over your plate? How much was the fine and did it put points on your driving record?
Old 11-02-15, 11:55 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

If you don't mind me asking, where were you cited for having a clear cover over your plate? How much was the fine and did it put points on your driving record?

cited by CHP, it's a $25 fix it ticket, no points for first offense. I know second offense within 1 year is non-correctable but don't know the fine.

I was cited for something else at the same time which is why I fought the citation, I actually won on the other count which was a moving violation and lost on plate cover.
Old 11-02-15, 12:10 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by mjeds
cited by CHP, it's a $25 fix it ticket, no points for first offense. I know second offense within 1 year is non-correctable but don't know the fine.

I was cited for something else at the same time which is why I fought the citation, I actually won on the other count which was a moving violation and lost on plate cover.
Thanks. I'm debating whether to even put a front plate on (with a cover). I'm driving years without a front plate, so I don't know how long my luck will keep going.
Old 11-02-15, 12:46 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Thanks. I'm debating whether to even put a front plate on (with a cover). I'm driving years without a front plate, so I don't know how long my luck will keep going.

front plate is a fix it ticket.

I've been driving for 30 years without one, cited several times just affix it somehow without drilling holes, usually zip ties thru the grill, have it signed off, remove it and move on..

for the RC-F I got one of those tow hook plate holder deals. the plate and mount is in the trunk under the floor and will stay there until I am hassled about it.