Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Bad Press for CL

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-09, 10:37 PM
justinSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Press for CL

So as I'm sure some of you may have heard that an innocent girl was killed last night in a street racing accident off of Branham and Pearl. She was actually a friend of mine I went to high school with, a really great girl and it's been a pretty sad day for a lot of us. So I'm watching the news coverage on KTVU just now and they are talking about how they'll be cracking down on street racing alot more, this being the second death this month due to illegal racing.

Now, Club Lexus is known for being one of the most responsible car clubs, at least in our area, in my opinion. Which is why I'm baffled by the fact that they showed footage exclusively from club lexus meets when referring to car clubs which are involved in street racing activity. I swear I saw Joseph's car and a bunch of other mainly IS's in the footage. This is just bad press for club lexus in general and it's completely unwarranted. So I suppose everyone should be extra careful driving around San Jose for the time being, I don't think we need any more bad press in our club.
Old 10-24-09, 12:46 AM
LSCJJ
Lexus Champion

We had a meet at tire outlet today and film crew and police pulled over a scion for questioning. Later on the film crew drove by the shop and filmed the meet. 20 min after the film crew left, a DUI driver drove past about 80+ and tboned and killed a driver coming out of the bank. We looked at the scene and it was not good. But street racing had been a big issue here on south bay but ya, unluckily, the media will spin it however they want.
Old 10-24-09, 02:25 AM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just sent them an email requesting that they not use that footage for future street racing stories and links to CL. Glen, you should have a copy of that.

P.S. I'm a former KTVU news intern.
Old 10-24-09, 02:40 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

reminds me of a socal CL friday meet a while back when it was held at platinum vip's shop. according to my knowledge and several credible sources mtv news showed up and not only briefly taped the meet but also conducted a few interviews (especially of one member known to be a bit of a loose cannon, but i digress). while i don't know what ever happened of that, you can imagine how that can be used by the media.

while i believe many of us here at clublexus - and clublexus as an organization and a brand - certainly does not condone street racing, the attitude is unfortunately prevalent and painfully obvious amongst a few individuals in these forums. regardless, we can only represent ourselves properly as lexus owners and afficionados and hope that their attitude does not reflect upon us as a whole.
Old 10-24-09, 03:03 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
while i believe many of us here at clublexus - and clublexus as an organization and a brand - certainly does not condone street racing, the attitude is unfortunately prevalent and painfully obvious amongst a few individuals in these forums. regardless, we can only represent ourselves properly as lexus owners and afficionados and hope that their attitude does not reflect upon us as a whole.
Well said
Old 10-24-09, 03:34 AM
Stevoe88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by justinSC
So as I'm sure some of you may have heard that an innocent girl was killed last night in a street racing accident off of Branham and Pearl. She was actually a friend of mine I went to high school with, a really great girl and it's been a pretty sad day for a lot of us. So I'm watching the news coverage on KTVU just now and they are talking about how they'll be cracking down on street racing alot more, this being the second death this month due to illegal racing.

Now, Club Lexus is known for being one of the most responsible car clubs, at least in our area, in my opinion. Which is why I'm baffled by the fact that they showed footage exclusively from club lexus meets when referring to car clubs which are involved in street racing activity. I swear I saw Joseph's car and a bunch of other mainly IS's in the footage. This is just bad press for club lexus in general and it's completely unwarranted. So I suppose everyone should be extra careful driving around San Jose for the time being, I don't think we need any more bad press in our club.
Hey man, I went to leland too although I never knew her, my brother said he had been friends with her. I can't believe this happened right in front of my house, and I didn't hear a thing. I might have been still at the library studying (around the corner of pearl) but i'm not completely sure. My condolences to the family, I'm sure they're going through a super tough time right now.

I can't believe KTVU would quickly jump to conclusion about "special meets" without proper concrete evidence. Here's the link to the footage if you guys want to see it for yourselves.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/21402889/detail.html

Last edited by Stevoe88; 10-24-09 at 03:40 AM.
Old 10-24-09, 04:02 AM
SC_Vince
Rookie

Yeah...it's not fair having our meet being put into the same category as illegal street racing...
Old 10-24-09, 06:24 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

How did they link it to Club Lexus? CL being a sponsored site should get on that cause if theres no presidence to their accusations, then its slander! Yes many on here make the stupid decision of street racing, however in no way is Club Lexus condoning it in anyway. I work CBS and one thing I cant stand is when a story is stretched for ratings. Theres not a thin line between freedom of press and slander unfortunately.

To the OP, sorry for your loss. Hang in there.

Originally Posted by MaxNine
I just sent them an email requesting that they not use that footage for future street racing stories and links to CL. Glen, you should have a copy of that.

P.S. I'm a former KTVU news intern.
Thank you for that!
Old 10-24-09, 06:30 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Wait, I just saw the video, theres no mention of Club Lexus, just showed a lot with potential street racers which happened to be Lexus cars. The general public wouldnt even know if it were; heck even I dont even know if they were from Club Lexus.
Old 10-24-09, 07:59 AM
Densetsu
Rookie

Angry Bad Press for CL

Originally Posted by justinSC

This really SUCK's!! The girl that was killed was my Nephew's friends lil' sister!!! Glad they caught the two racers though!!! Hope they throw the book at them!!! Most of the Legit Car Clubs in the Bay Area, don't need this kind of publicity!!!
Old 10-24-09, 10:05 AM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Densetsu
This really SUCK's!! The girl that was killed was my Nephew's friends lil' sister!!! Glad they caught the two racers though!!! Hope they throw the book at them!!! Most of the Legit Car Clubs in the Bay Area, don't need this kind of publicity!!!
Sorry for your loss as well as for the OP's loss. My condolences to all the families. It's really sad to hear about a young life being cut short by a senseless and ignorant act.

There's no room for illegal street racing. What does it prove? Who has the fastest car? Big deal. If people want to race, please take it to the tracks.

Be careful and drive safe everyone in the CL community.

Thanks for the link btw.
Old 10-24-09, 04:13 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Damn this is the reason why their are tracks. I dont understand why these stupid a$$ have to do this kind of shht in the first place. Im glad those dumb****ers got caught!! My condolences to the victims families and i hope they will not affect our name Clublexus. Lets be careful out their since the Holidays are coming up really fast and everyone knows what that means! Be SAFE ppl
Old 10-24-09, 06:17 PM
justinSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Wait, I just saw the video, theres no mention of Club Lexus, just showed a lot with potential street racers which happened to be Lexus cars. The general public wouldnt even know if it were; heck even I dont even know if they were from Club Lexus.
It was filmed at a Club Lexus meet at the Tire Outlet. I never said they mentioned the clubs name, but regardless, it makes us look bad... As if Joseph's going to go out and drag race his car he never drives after the gathering. Hah.
Old 10-24-09, 06:37 PM
LSCJJ
Lexus Champion

i just emailed ktvu regarding the footage as my face is recognizable.... what are the legalities of posting such footage without release? especially when we were labeled as "such club"
Old 10-24-09, 07:09 PM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UV
i just emailed ktvu regarding the footage as my face is recognizable.... what are the legalities of posting such footage without release? especially when we were labeled as "such club"
Since the footage was taken in public and used more as a general shot, there is no consent required.

Quick Reply: Bad Press for CL