Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Oh No, Not Another Clear Bra Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-10, 11:11 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Omega is definitely pricey. They wanted somewhere close to $1000 for clear bra front end. Ridiculous if you ask me.
Really, what did you get a quote for and what exactly did you want covered? Was it custom or what?
Old 03-18-10, 10:26 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

lol 1-2 months in advanced? I want to get it done by next weekend. Better give him a call soon, haha.
Old 03-19-10, 01:12 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Called vince. He didnt give me an exact price, but he said pre-cut ~$300, custom ~$400. I told him I wanted the custom since 100 isnt a huge difference, but now im starting to have buyer's remorse.

I have at least 3 rock chips (which he said he can touch up before hand), and then i have some scraping at the very bottom lip of the bumper. Which would you guys do? I said custom because the wax lines down the road will bother me, but shouldnt I wait after getting the bumper repainted in the future before getting a custom? Should I just stick with the pre cut seeing as how the bumper is damaged already? thoughts and advice please
Old 03-19-10, 01:19 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are planning to get the bumper re-painted in the future why are you bothering at all to get ANY clear bra now? The difference of $100 is not that big a deal, but if you're questioning whether to spend the extra money AND planning to re-paint anyway, I'm not sure why you would even bother to get it done at this point... What parts of the front end do these kits cover, fenders, 1/3 hood, and bumper?

I would say to just wait altogether until you need the re-paint, get your bumper painted and then get the custom done.
Old 03-19-10, 01:22 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm in a similar situation. I'll wait until a get a big rock chip, file an insurance claim to have the front repaired (thus cleaning up the other chips), then take it to Vince right away.
Old 03-19-10, 10:17 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

there is nothing wrong with the current bumper. I just have scrapes on the bottom that you cant even see unless you bend down and look under. and then I only have 3-4 rock chips, which doesnt bother me. The thing is I dont want it to get any worse...there is no reason to repaint the bumper now and I probably wont until I get into a car accident.
Old 03-20-10, 09:56 AM
awd1973
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
there is nothing wrong with the current bumper. I just have scrapes on the bottom that you cant even see unless you bend down and look under. and then I only have 3-4 rock chips, which doesnt bother me. The thing is I dont want it to get any worse...there is no reason to repaint the bumper now and I probably wont until I get into a car accident.
As long as the rock chips don't bother you and/or you can be touched up to your satisfaction, and the scrapes are not visible without getting literally underneath the car, I wouldn't wait to get a clear bra for the peace of mind.

Also if the scrapes bother you that much, you can always have a body shop fix those and "blend" it in. To be honest, I had that done to my IS-F by the dealer, when I purchased it. Yes, it bothered me, but you couldn't see it, unless you were underneath the car.

There is much to be said to have the peace of mind, by getting the clear bra, particularly if it is your daily driver. Best of luck!
Old 03-20-10, 11:44 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

^^ thanks, that was the answer I was looking for. lol

I would just hate to see it get worse and worse through the years, and I feel like it is going to be a while before I even get it repainted.

Just curious, how far underneath does the custom film reach? Will Vince cover the scrapping on the bottom or does he stop short of it?
Old 03-20-10, 12:53 PM
awd1973
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my bumper it's wrapped underneath below the sight line, maybe a 1/2 in to an inch, which is generally my area of concern for scraping. I am quite sure if you wanted an additional amount wrapped underneath, you can discuss with Vince.