Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Oh No, Not Another Clear Bra Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10, 05:30 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Oh No, Not Another Clear Bra Question

Last year, I got my full hood covered on my C350 by Premier and that was all jolly good, couldnt be happier. I didnt get my bumper covered because they wanted some >$500 for it when the hood was already >$400. So...I skimped and now I have like 3 rock chips on the lower bumper.

well I just got relocated to a different work site down in Vacaville which means I will be making weekly trips down highway 80 from SF, which is a trap for rock ships with all the freight trucks and such. I dont want the bumper to get any worse.

Right now, I am looking for a cheap <$300 place if that's even possible in the bay area to get the front bumper covered to prevent further damage. But then Im also asking for advice. Seeing as how the bumper already has a few chips, is it really worth it to add a clear bra now? Will the installer even do it?

so to conclude:
1) is it stupid of me to add the clear bra now after there is visible damage and should I wait until I repaint it?
2) If I decide to get one now to prevent further damage, where is a cheap but also a good place to get it down, ie. not premier
Old 03-10-10, 06:16 PM
leedoobert
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Last year, I got my full hood covered on my C350 by Premier and that was all jolly good, couldnt be happier. I didnt get my bumper covered because they wanted some >$500 for it when the hood was already >$400. So...I skimped and now I have like 3 rock chips on the lower bumper.

well I just got relocated to a different work site down in Vacaville which means I will be making weekly trips down highway 80 from SF, which is a trap for rock ships with all the freight trucks and such. I dont want the bumper to get any worse.

Right now, I am looking for a cheap <$300 place if that's even possible in the bay area to get the front bumper covered to prevent further damage. But then Im also asking for advice. Seeing as how the bumper already has a few chips, is it really worth it to add a clear bra now? Will the installer even do it?

so to conclude:
1) is it stupid of me to add the clear bra now after there is visible damage and should I wait until I repaint it?
2) If I decide to get one now to prevent further damage, where is a cheap but also a good place to get it down, ie. not premier

1) if the damage is very minimal, I say go ahead and get the clearbra...in fact, the clearbra might even mask some of those rock chips

2) call up Vincent at Omega Werks in Pleasanton, CA...he does a splendid job and he is well known in the bay area for clear bras and window tint

- Albert
Old 03-10-10, 08:01 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

I will be another one to vouch for Vince @ Omega in Pleasanton. He's been doing clear bra installations in the Bay Area for quite some time. His work is top notch and he doesn't charge ridiculous prices for clear bra installation. He's well experienced on all Lexus models as well as custom cuts as well. Several others will be able to vouch and stand behind Vince's work. Don't let overinflated pricing and an elaborate website of pictures fool you.
Old 03-10-10, 11:00 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

when i installed my clear bra, i used touch up paint for the areas, and after it was installed, it was barely noticeable where it has been touched up.

Yeah, don't over pay and shop around! Lighter colors have it easy.. but darker colors tend to show more imperfections. Good luck!
Old 03-10-10, 11:02 PM
miss_IS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Third for Vince. I took a chance with him back when he was still relatively unknown in the CL community and was pleasantly surprised with his work. His work is a cut about all other installers in Norcal and his customer service is unmatched.
Old 03-10-10, 11:45 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 for Vince. Great guy, great work.
Old 03-16-10, 09:38 PM
awd1973
Driver School Candidate

+1000 as well for Vince at Omega. His work is top notch.
Old 03-17-10, 12:04 AM
mou
Pole Position

you can always get the leather one to use a temporary
Old 03-17-10, 10:14 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by moukun
you can always get the leather one to use a temporary
believe it or not, I began searching for leather bras for the car, but the good ones cost 150+... and I might as well get the clear bra then.

I will check out Vince this week. Are his prices reasonable?

Last edited by RXSF; 03-17-10 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-17-10, 10:43 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, he's reasonable - not cheap, not expensive. He's one man shop, so overhead is low. But for his quality of work, I'd say it's a good value.

Be careful with leather bras, they can really scratch up your paint if you're not careful putting them on and taking them off.
Old 03-17-10, 11:15 AM
mou
Pole Position

yeah i'd rather spend extra money on applying a clear bra than ever putting on a leather
Old 03-17-10, 04:00 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Omega is definitely pricey. They wanted somewhere close to $1000 for clear bra front end. Ridiculous if you ask me.
Old 03-17-10, 04:48 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

^ At least for tinting, he (Vince) was competitively priced with the other "high end" tinters in the Bay. You get what you pay for.
Old 03-17-10, 09:02 PM
awd1973
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
believe it or not, I began searching for leather bras for the car, but the good ones cost 150+... and I might as well get the clear bra then.

I will check out Vince this week. Are his prices reasonable?
His prices are reasonable. Actually, when I was looking for quotes for my IS-F, he was the best price, by a considerable margin, when compared to the other major NORCAL installer.

Like the other poster said, he is a one man shop, and making an appointment is a requirement.

Feel free to PM me for any details.
Old 03-17-10, 09:58 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

^ +1 Vince is perpetually booked 1-2 months out, which is a good sign.

Quick Reply: Oh No, Not Another Clear Bra Question