Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Question about a ticket

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-10 | 05:47 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Default Question about a ticket

So today my friend got pulled over for running a red turning arrow. It was broken and not illuminated, so the officer did not give him a ticket for that, but he did give him a ticket for driving without a license.

He is from St. Louis and has a Missouri state driver's license, and was driving our housemate's truck which is registered in Texas. The officer said that because he has been in the state for more than ten days, and failed to get a California driver's license, his Missouri license is not valid. He is only in California for college and is only here for about 8 months out of the year, and we are only renting a house for that amount of time. Does the state really expect everyone who is here for more than ten days to get a California drivers license? Or can my friend get out of it? Thanks everyone!
Old 03-29-10 | 05:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

i am not 100% on the law, but i do believe even if he's here for college for 8 months, he needs to get a CA driver license. someone else can correct me

he should have said he's just here for vacation...
Old 03-29-10 | 08:10 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

if he is going to be driving in CA you need a CA license
Old 03-29-10 | 11:44 PM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

He can tell the court he was only in CA for a few days. He doesn't have to tell them he was in school yet, that's what my girlfriend did after getting a ticket for not registering her car after almost a year of moving into the state (said her dad just brought it down for her).

It's been almost 2 years since she moved here and just got her CA license last week.

Tell him to go to the dmv and get a CA DL and to tell them he forgot his license so they don't punch a hole through it and invalidate it.
Old 03-30-10 | 06:06 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

That has got to be the most retarded law I've ever heard of. So my government issued colorado drivers license is valid in every state except California?
Old 03-30-10 | 06:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

as stated, with out of state driver license, it's ok to drive in CA, but if you do that for more than 10 days, you are considered as long term resident (or whatever they call it) and technically you have to obtain a CA driver license. CO license is valid in CA, but not for more than 10 days. i don't see much wrong with that. that's why the driver license sense CO and not USA
Old 03-31-10 | 12:52 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

If he already admitted that he has been here longer than 10 days I don't think he should try to back track now and go to court and say otherwise, seems like a bad idea IMO. Lesson learned (the hard way) I guess... BTW how much is that ticket?
Old 03-31-10 | 01:19 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

I'm almost certain that you have 6 months to get things situated. Either way, its just a matter of going to the dmv, pay the $17 to get cali license (maybe take test) then pay $25 for the ticket. Its just a fix it ticket.
Old 03-31-10 | 02:15 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
as stated, with out of state driver license, it's ok to drive in CA, but if you do that for more than 10 days, you are considered as long term resident (or whatever they call it) and technically you have to obtain a CA driver license. CO license is valid in CA, but not for more than 10 days. i don't see much wrong with that. that's why the driver license sense CO and not USA
What a wacko state CA has become! So I take a three week vacation in San diego, I'm supposed to get a CA license ?? That's insane !
Old 03-31-10 | 05:58 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tromly
What a wacko state CA has become! So I take a three week vacation in San diego, I'm supposed to get a CA license ?? That's insane !
Anything for money... However, its just a matter of telling the officer you just came in to town the day before.... Or dont get pulled over this whole 10 days thing sounds very much far fetched IMO I'm still standing by my 6 month...
Old 03-31-10 | 06:05 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Ok just checked... Here is a quote: "If you are a visitor in California over 18 and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid."

If you MOVE to California, you have 10 days to get a CDL
Old 03-31-10 | 12:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Ok just checked... Here is a quote: "If you are a visitor in California over 18 and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid."

If you MOVE to California, you have 10 days to get a CDL
lol oh boy, a can of worm
Old 04-01-10 | 01:18 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
lol oh boy, a can of worm
um ok I'm a 'tard, what does a can of worms have to do with my comment? I wasnt trying to debate, just posting what I read on DMV site

(btw, I put as many smileys in there as I could to reassure that I'm not trying to be sassy or anything )