Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

California License Plate and Tint ticket

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-10, 03:49 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California License Plate and Tint ticket

Just out of curiosity.. if they put the wrong vehicle code on the ticket (27608 instead of 26708), can I still be fined? Is it something to challenge in court?
Old 06-11-10, 06:23 PM
Supraristo
Lexus Test Driver

If the vehicles code does not match the description, then yes fight it. It will be dismissed.
Old 06-13-10, 02:26 AM
CLIS250
Pole Position

could be fought!
Old 06-13-10, 03:15 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

wth? those are funny answers... The error will be caught when the officer writes the report. You will get a 'notice of correction' from the officer stating his error and proper code will be given. I got the same ticket (in addition to other bs fixit violations) also with a mistake. I actually got the correction in the mail 2 months after I got the ticket! That shows that time doesnt matter when it comes to California getting their money!
Old 06-13-10, 05:13 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

itll just give you extra time to save up to pay that fine
Old 06-13-10, 12:14 PM
Supraristo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
wth? those are funny answers... The error will be caught when the officer writes the report. You will get a 'notice of correction' from the officer stating his error and proper code will be given. I got the same ticket (in addition to other bs fixit violations) also with a mistake. I actually got the correction in the mail 2 months after I got the ticket! That shows that time doesnt matter when it comes to California getting their money!

I have gotten 4-5 tickets over the years where info was wrong and fought all of them. Either the officer didnt show up to court, or they where dismissed.
Old 06-13-10, 02:49 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

How much do these types of tickets (no front plate and front window tint) run nowadays?
Old 06-13-10, 03:06 PM
phongh
Lead Lap

$25, Couple years back it was $10
Old 06-13-10, 03:42 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brociouz
How much do these types of tickets (no front plate and front window tint) run nowadays?
If you DONT 'fix it' they are about $200 a piece. Fix-it tickets are as said above $25 per violation, so in his case he will be paying $50 bucks.

Also in regards to "fighting" it. The last I heard is that you have to forfeit bail (so approx $400) plead not guilty, schedule a court date (wait till then) then if and when you win you have to wait lord knows how long to get your refund. IIRC it takes a few months to get your refund. Dont know how you can fight a fix it ticket though, you cant depute a factual incident. The way california is right now with needing every penny they can get, I dont see anything being thrown out
Old 06-13-10, 10:12 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info guys. We'll see what happens when I get the actual ticket. The interesting thing is that the tint violation was not marked as a correctable offense, even though: 1. There was no evidence of fraud or persistent neglect, since it was my first ticket of this type;
2. It was not an immediate safety hazard, since it was 1:05pm, in broad, sunny daylight;
3. I never said that I wouldn't fix it.

(see this interesting thread: http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/show...t=75745&page=2)

So what I don't get is if I can get it changed. The sad thing is that I wasn't doing anything that would attract attention. He pulled me over (in the toll booth!) as I was paying toll to cross the bay bridge on a Friday afternoon.
Old 06-14-10, 01:11 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikeho
The interesting thing is that the tint violation was not marked as a correctable offense
As of January 2010 a LOT of laws were changed "secretly" One being that a LOT of 'fix-it' tickets are non correctable I'm not sure the details, but I think though that its at the discretion of the officer to make it correctable since I've got one that was correctable. That sucks though that its not 'correctable' the cost though is roughly $200. As for attracting attention, doesnt matter man when you brake the law you brake it Now if he pulled you over for absolutely nothing and it so happened you had a suspended license, you can absolutely fight it (I know this for a fact and got info from an attorney) I got pulled over and had a suspended license (didnt know) When I went to court to correct it the attorney asked what he pulled me over for also stating that if there was no valid reason for pulling me over, then the ticket can be thrown out... hell even if they found a bag of dope in the car it would have to be thrown out because there was no probable cause. If you can spare the $$, I say fight it, but I'm sure its gonna take about 6 months to get all that cash refunded The last time I fought a ticket, took 3 months to get a court date, add that to probably another 3-6 months of the courts laggin to get your money back but at least you can say you stuck it to the man but be prepared on what to say if the officer does show up LoL cause what DO you say, " Uh, your honor [ahem] my windows arent tinted?" good luck on however you do it, I think its a bich move to make it uncorrectable when you weren't driving moronically...
Old 06-14-10, 01:12 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

oh and, were both violations non correctable, or just the tint?
Old 06-14-10, 08:03 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
oh and, were both violations non correctable, or just the tint?
Just the tint. The license plate is easy.. I just need to find it. I know I should probably take the tint off, but I was just thinking today how great it was to have it...

If it's correctable, I need to fix it and have it signed off, right? If it's non-correctable, do I still need to fix it? Or just pay the ticket?
Old 06-14-10, 12:24 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mikeho - If you have friends in northern CA that are police officers, check with them. They can advise and signoff too.
Old 06-14-10, 12:49 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikeho
Just the tint. The license plate is easy.. I just need to find it. I know I should probably take the tint off, but I was just thinking today how great it was to have it...

If it's correctable, I need to fix it and have it signed off, right? If it's non-correctable, do I still need to fix it? Or just pay the ticket?
The correctable one, yea just get it singed off then take it in. As for non fixable tint, just ask the officer whos signing the ticket off for you about the tint to see if signing it off will allow you to have to only pay the $25 as opposed to the whole ~$200. Better to ask before spending all the money to take it off and redue it just to find out it made no difference... However, the whole venture of the tint will be more expensive to remove get signed off and retint than it is to just pay the actual fine. So I say just pay the fine and leave it alone Now I'm saying that assuming you are considering keeping the tint one way or the other. This is just a guess, but I'm sure it has precedence. Being that yours was do dark, I'm thinking thats why they made it uncorrectable. Kinda like the difference between being sentenced for murder or man slaughter, you still killed a man, but one you get the chair while the other you get life... Cops will let you get away with light tint, but being dark just wont cut it... Anything below 50% just attracts too much attention, as well as creating a sick looking car All my statements are going by the cops here in the valley, but I've been doing 50% forever and havent had any problems and have been let go on a few occasions. The one time I decided to go with 35%, I got hit quick! With 50% they can still see you pretty good

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 07-14-10 at 05:04 PM.

Quick Reply: California License Plate and Tint ticket