Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Just got pulled over =(

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-11, 02:54 PM
TofuMaster
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got pulled over =(

So, today is Easter Sunday, and I was on my way to my friend's baptism. I was in a rush because I was late and just when I was about to pull into the parking lot, I saw and heard sirens behind me. He said I was going 42 in a 25 zone and asked me about my exhaust and then asked that I pop my hood. I have a HKS Carbon Ti, Xerd headers, and JoeZ intake but he only seemed to notice the intake and not the headers. The 2 violations he gave me were 22350 v.c for unsafe speed and 27151 (a) v.c for modified exhaust (correctable).

So now the big questions comes...what do I do? Do I go back to stock on the headers and leave the HKS and then get it signed off? or do I have to go to the state referee? He said something about checking my exhaust with the state ref so I dont know what I should do. Im going to fight the speeding ticket. Should I do trial by written declaration or go to court?

EDIT***
read post 17
Attached Thumbnails Just got pulled over =(-img_0002.jpg  

Last edited by TofuMaster; 05-23-11 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-24-11, 03:40 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Leave the headers, he didn't ticket you for that. not sure on the exhaust. I got one of those 12 years ago, but forgot what I did. Good luck fighting the speeding.
Old 04-24-11, 03:55 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it depends if you actually have to go to state ref. because some state ref station evaluate the whole car.
Old 04-24-11, 04:23 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dang man. i would chance it and leave the headers on.
Old 04-24-11, 06:55 PM
Snubbles
Lexus Test Driver

spotted you in south davis today.
Good luck fighting your ticket
Old 04-25-11, 12:35 AM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a state ref ticket a longggg time ago when I used to have a Honda. This was maybe back in 2001, so I'm not sure if the procedure has changed.

Basically, I got pulled over for modified exhaust and air intake. They were both smog legal (short ram air intake and axle-back exhaust) and I had papers/stickers for them, but the officer still assigned me to go to see the state ref on the ticket.

So I went to the location at Evergreen college (aftermarket parts still installed) and they did a visual inspection, then they put my car on the dyno to do a smog test. The techs there actually sided with me and thought it was ridiculous that I was sent to see them if I had papers/stickers for the parts. I told them, I just did as instructed by the officer. Everything checked out ok and they signed the citation (if I remember correctly) and processed it, then I later sent that back with a check to pay the small fine after correction (visit).

In your case, if you don't have to go to see the state ref, I wouldn't. Like new era said, if you go there and the techs do a thorough inspection and see the headers and they aren't legal, you might get written up for it? I think the officer suggested you to go see the state ref if you felt the exhaust was legal and to go there to prove it. I'm not sure if your HKS exhaust is legal or not. If not, I would just get the stock one installed, get it signed off by an officer, then you can switch it back later.

Last edited by sleeper408; 04-25-11 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-25-11, 07:44 AM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think if he has to do to the ref station, they (the ref station) just won't sign it off until it's fixed.
Old 04-25-11, 09:22 AM
aLexGS350
Lead Lap

End of the month they are getting everyone! Just driving to work I see like 5 CHP! I only work 15miles from home!!
Old 04-25-11, 09:35 AM
bweezy
Pole Position

^ same , just this morning I was on my way to work and saw like a few cops hiding in my neighborhood intersections I assume lying in wait to pounce on those who dont come to a complete stop for the stop signs or other stuff

But gl with your fix Tofu, I know how frustrating it is to get all this stuff worked out. I've gotten my share of speeding tickets as well and I feel you, it aint fun.
Old 04-25-11, 11:19 AM
JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

You don't have to do anything but prove it's under 95db. So go to the police station and ask them to test it w/ there DB meter, if it passes they must sign it off corrected or not. You can aslo have this preformed at the state ref, it may cost there.

Choice 2 go to court on the date, and plead not guilty. They will give you another court date to summons the officer to court. When you plead your case, w/ officer present and if your exhaust is w/ in the db range it will be dismissed.

Second ave. of pleading your case. Buy a db meter test the car in park at 3-4k rpm. Report db readings and bring all facts to court. Prove the exhaust meets sound requirements, but was not tested by the officer/police station. Acknowledge yes it was modified, but, stress it's an oem replacement, as the OG had deteriorated and not customized. Parts replacement is not a "illegal modification."

Joel
Old 04-25-11, 12:28 PM
TofuMaster
Pole Position

thanks for the help guys, i really appreciate it.

the worst part about this was it was only a 2 mile drive from my apartment to the church, and he pulled me over right when i was about to pull into the church parking lot. i really dont see how i could have hit 42 either since i stopped at a stop light, made a right turn, and then had to make the parking lot entrance 780 ft later. by using physics, if i was at WOT, it would take me 325ft to hit 60mph (using 0-60 time of 7.4s) and then 125ft to stop. but this is at the extremes of acceleration and braking, both of which i did not do. and if i remember correctly, i was in 3rd gear and at 2k which i believe comes out to be around 35mph. i forgot to ask the officer to see he radar gun but i believe that he was pacing me since he said he was following me from before the right hand turn. if that was the case, then he would have had to accelerate harder to catch me and thus may have judged my speed based on his catch up speed. i will drive drive that portion of road again sometime in the next few days and see how fast i might have been going.

Last edited by TofuMaster; 04-25-11 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-26-11, 01:08 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wait til u get the actual notice in the mail then u can decide...
for the speeding i would to a trial by written declaraction
Old 04-27-11, 08:49 PM
VIP_Dreamz
Lead Lap

just remember the legal limit for your exhaust is 96.5db. anything over then that most likely you will have to go back to stock or get a silencer. back when I had my BMW I got a ticket for my exhaust. yes it was my fault since I had it custom straight piped and I knew it was way over limit. Anyways I took it to the local police station and the cop just told me to rev the car a bit and he signed my ticket off. It really depends if the cop is in a good mood or not to sign off the ticket. Back then the ticket was like 10 bucks but I don't know about now.
Old 04-27-11, 09:50 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

soo the HKS exhaust is illegal?
Old 04-27-11, 09:57 PM
bweezy
Pole Position

http://www.hksusa.com/faq/?ID=1598

Q: I have and HKS exhaust and I wanted to know if it is street legal and is there any documentation?

A: All HKS exhaust systems are engineered to comply with the 95dB noise limit law specified by the California Highway Patrol and the Society of Automotive Engineers - Except ones that are designated for Off-Road Use only.

Each system is individually designed for a specific application and complies with the requirements of Sections 27150, 27151 & 27200 of the California Vehicle Code; and Title 13 of the California code of Regulations, Section 10361, which establishes a noise limit of 95dB(A) for passenger cars. This statement applies to unmodified HKS exhaust systems that are less than 13 months old, are in good condition and which have been properly installed on the specific vehicle for which it was designed.

The age of your exhaust system along with certain engine modifications, such as headers, intake, etc., may also affect its current noise level output.

Please check with your local and state law enforcement agencies for exact regulation requirements.

If you would like documentation on HKS exhausts that meet this criteria, please contact either your local authorized HKS Dealer or our Tech line at 310 491 3300.

Quick Reply: Just got pulled over =(