Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

had xtra time and did the amber delete on my tail lights! : )

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-11, 04:35 PM
7MGTEPOWA
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default had xtra time and did the amber delete on my tail lights! : )

I searched around and many members have taken off the ugly amber part of their tail lights , so i decided to give it a try. I went to the baking method and to my surprise it went real smooth! many people had bad luck and or simply did not want to do it because it involved an oven but i decided to try it and it worked! i just wanted to share my success and encourage you guys to do it i will put instructions on how i did it. i used an electric oven dont know if there will be differences with gas.

THIS IS ONLY FOR 98-00 GS TAIL LIGHTS!!

1 PREHEAT oven at 200F for 10min
2 place tail light on an aluminum cookie sheet or tray on lowest rack in oven. Make sure tail light is facing up
3 BAKE at 200f for10 minutes, once 10 min are up take out and use a screwdriver the biggest widest one you can find you gotta use a wide one or else you will probably chip your light easier. Pry and pry circulating your light as it goes keep doing it and back off if you see chipping and go around it. If its hard to crack open pop it back in oven for another 5 min then take out and repeat. dont go nuts and use brute force.. slowly but surely it will loosen.
4 usually after the second time in the oven the lights will come apart you shouldnt need more than 15-20min total cook time or else you will start to warp the housing.
5 remove the amber piece and glue back with silicone adhesive ( i used clear color) also use pieces of tape around the lights to give it that extra clamping force .and you are done!.. of course u need 24 hr for the silicone to cure

using these steps a had no breakage and no cracking just very minor small chips on my first light.. maybe cuz the oven was not warm enough??.. my second light came off very easy .
i spent a total of one hour on this project and am very happy. keep in mind i have no xtra set of lights so if i screwed up i was F@!%D !!! The most important part for you not to screw up is to use a big wide screwdriver and keep rotating circulating the light if its hard to open back of and go somewhere else and dont use excessive brute force!!

*money needed 4 bucks for clear silicone adhesive from home depot and 1 hour of your time .

good luck

Last edited by 7MGTEPOWA; 12-15-11 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-15-11, 04:44 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 7MGTEPOWA
I searched around and many members have taken off the ugly amber part of their tail lights , so i decided to give it a try. I went to the baking method and to my surprise it went real smooth! many people had bad luck and or simply did not want to do it because it involved an oven but i decided to try it and it worked! i just wanted to share my success and encourage you guys to do it i will put instructions on how i did it. i used an electric oven dont know if there will be differences with gas.

1 preheat oven at 200F
2 place tail light on an aluminum cookie sheet or tray on lowest rack in oven. Make sure tail light is facing up
3 cook for 10 minutes, once 10 min are up take out and use a screwdriver the biggest widest one you can find you gotta use a wide one or else you will probably chip your light easier. Pry and pry circulating your light as it goes keep doing it and back off if you see chipping and go around it. If its hard to crack open pop it back for another 5 min then take out and repeat. dont go nuts and use brute force.. slowly but surely it will loosen.
4 usually after the second time in the oven the lights will come apart you shouldnt need more than 15-20min total cook time or else you will start to warp the housing.
5 remove the amber piece and glue back with silicone adhesive also use pieces of tape around the lights to give it that extra clamping force .and you are done!.. of course u need 24 hr for the silicone to cure

using these steps a had no breakage and no cracking just very minor small chips on my first light.. maybe cuz the oven was not warm enough??.. my second light came off very easy .
i spent a total of one hour on this project and am very happy. keep in mind i have no xtra set of lights so if i screwed up i was F@!%D !!! The most important part for you not to screw up is to use a big wide screwdriver and keep rotating circulating the light if its hard to open back of and go somewhere else and dont use excessive brute force!!

good luck

Nice, but for which model of lexus did you do this?

For example on the GS 2001 up you cannot clear out the amber.

Also as much as contributing to NorCal is nice, you are probably better sharing it in the appropriate model forum where it has more visibility.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 12-15-11 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-15-11, 04:49 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 119 Likes on 45 Posts

what car>???
Old 12-15-11, 04:55 PM
7MGTEPOWA
Rookie

you guys get first dibs!!! . ....this is only for 98-00 gs tail lights
Old 12-18-11, 08:54 PM
Dee8
Driver

pics?
10char
Old 12-19-11, 03:55 PM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Props for doing your own tail lights. I destroyed a set before getting it right.

A guy named Jriggs did a write up in 2008' . here's the linky:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...r-removal.html
Old 12-19-11, 09:05 PM
7MGTEPOWA
Rookie

Originally Posted by /209JOHN\
Props for doing your own tail lights. I destroyed a set before getting it right.

A guy named Jriggs did a write up in 2008' . here's the linky:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...r-removal.html

yeah thanks man.. this was my first time and first attempt ever, i gotta admit i was scared and so close to just calling it quits cuz i kept thinking holy **** if i screw up i will suffer .. me and my wallet!!
but hey you gotta take chances to succeed in life and the process turned out better than expected.. and yeah i did read his write up and it helped me too.. the only difference is that i set the light on the bottom rack with a thin aluminum cookie sheet between the rack and light so it would not burn and warp as fast since aluminum has different properties and it cools and dissipates heat faster . Try it.. and i will post up pics ..