Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

F-Sport parts installation at SF Bay Area Lexus dealers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-12, 02:02 AM
emtam
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default F-Sport parts installation at SF Bay Area Lexus dealers?

Hi, first of all, I'm a long time reader of the forums but this is my first post. So, I apologize if i'm unaware of certain forum guidelines.

Anyway, so I got a '07 IS350 I've decided to install the f-sport sway bars and f-sport springs. I'm gonna buy them at Sewell and have the Lexus dealer install them because I still have 3 years of warranty left and I don't want to void it. Anybody know of any special deals or good prices for that at the dealerships in the Bay?

Thanks.
Old 03-18-12, 02:22 AM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by emtam
Hi, first of all, I'm a long time reader of the forums but this is my first post. So, I apologize if i'm unaware of certain forum guidelines.

Anyway, so I got a '07 IS350 I've decided to install the f-sport sway bars and f-sport springs. I'm gonna buy them at Sewell and have the Lexus dealer install them because I still have 3 years of warranty left and I don't want to void it. Anybody know of any special deals or good prices for that at the dealerships in the Bay?

Thanks.
I've had great luck with Putnam. They even matched Sewell prices.
Old 03-18-12, 03:23 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First, Welcome to CL!

Second, installing sway bars and springs will not void the rest of your 3 year warranty, no matter who installs them. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act has got your back there The dealership, or Lexus for that matter, cannot void your warranty because aftermarket parts have been installed. They can only deny your warranty claim if they discover that an aftermarket part is the cause of the warranty claim. I.e you can't install a turbo, have the motor blow and then say that your engine blew and you want it replaced under warranty. You don't really have that problem with springs and sway bars. But if you just feel more comfortable having the dealer install it, expect to pay a pretty penny compared to independent shops!
Old 03-18-12, 10:50 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you arent gonna get any deals from dealerships. Gotta pay the premium to keep that piece of mind of having the warranty
Old 03-18-12, 08:48 PM
emtam
Rookie

Thanks for the replies. But the above 2 posters kinda contradicted each other. So if i bought the f-sport parts from Sewell and have an independent shop install them, would i still have warranty on the car? I just need clarification on that.

Also, where in the bay would u recommend the installation? And how much do you think it'll run me?

Thanks!
Old 03-18-12, 09:30 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

You will not void any warranty on the car itself by having the parts installed at an aftermarket shop. You will get the standard 12mo/12k mile parts warranty, The benefit of having the parts installed by a dealer is that the parts will be covered by the remainder of the factory warranty or the 12mo/12k mile, whichever is greater.
Old 03-19-12, 12:19 AM
emtam
Rookie

All right, thanks for the info guys!
Old 03-19-12, 05:58 PM
emtam
Rookie

I just went to a shop and they quoted me $200 for spring installation, and $225 for front and rear sway bar installation. Are these reasonable prices?
Old 03-23-12, 12:11 AM
panda08
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by emtam
I just went to a shop and they quoted me $200 for spring installation, and $225 for front and rear sway bar installation. Are these reasonable prices?
$200 is a pretty good price for the spring install. Steven's creek lexus wanted about $730 for the install. As for sway bar install I'd say about $150 is more reasonable. All it really boils down to is like 6 bolts all together.
Old 03-23-12, 12:14 AM
panda08
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RTIS250
You will not void any warranty on the car itself by having the parts installed at an aftermarket shop. You will get the standard 12mo/12k mile parts warranty, The benefit of having the parts installed by a dealer is that the parts will be covered by the remainder of the factory warranty or the 12mo/12k mile, whichever is greater.
Hey RTIS, I noticed that your description shows you as a master lexus tech. I have a quick question for you. Do you know if the Lexus F sport springs need to have a special alignment done after install or can the original factory alignment specs be used?
Old 03-23-12, 02:43 AM
radiokilla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by panda08
Hey RTIS, I noticed that your description shows you as a master lexus tech. I have a quick question for you. Do you know if the Lexus F sport springs need to have a special alignment done after install or can the original factory alignment specs be used?
If the aftermarket springs lower the car then yes you will need an alignment. Any time you lower a car you change the suspension geometry which adds a little bit of negative camber (The top of the wheel leaning inwards) you will want to go in for an alignment. You can dial out the camber back to factory settings but what will kill your tires is if the toe angle is off from lowering it. The easiest way to explain toe is stand up, and point your toes in towards eachother. This is called toe in, toe out would be the same except your toes pointing outwards. Imagine your tires rolling at a weird toe angle and wearing them down faster. Alignments range from 60-80 dollars.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-23-12, 04:54 AM
Gs350Lola
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for sways i got done at a local shop for 20 bucks.. took 15 minutes..
Old 03-23-12, 11:31 AM
panda08
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by radiokilla
If the aftermarket springs lower the car then yes you will need an alignment. Any time you lower a car you change the suspension geometry which adds a little bit of negative camber (The top of the wheel leaning inwards) you will want to go in for an alignment. You can dial out the camber back to factory settings but what will kill your tires is if the toe angle is off from lowering it. The easiest way to explain toe is stand up, and point your toes in towards eachother. This is called toe in, toe out would be the same except your toes pointing outwards. Imagine your tires rolling at a weird toe angle and wearing them down faster. Alignments range from 60-80 dollars.

Hope this helps.
So what you're saying is that I can lower the car and still use the original factory specs? I wouldn't have to take it to a specialty shop so they can recalculate new angles?