NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

How long does your NX OEM battery last

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-23, 09:34 AM
johnxp
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How long does your NX OEM battery last

My 2016 NX 200t still has the original OEM battery. It has run over 80k miles for the last 7 years. I checked the battery with my multimeter, it seems still strong.
I want to know what is the average life span of the OEM battery. Dealer told me it is less than 5 years.
I don't want to waste a good battery, on the other side, I don't want it fails at some inconvenient time.
Old 04-27-23, 11:06 AM
n0v8or
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 108 Posts

Battery life is affected by extreme temperatures (particularly heat), number of deep discharge cycles, and number of cold weather starts. A battery will last longer in a vehicle garaged in San Fransisco, as opposed to one stored outside in Alaska, or one driven in Phoenix, Miami, or San Diego. Way up here in New England, 5 winters is about average, but I have an old rear wheel drive Ford that is garaged and not driven during winter months. Its original (factory) battery lasted more than 15 years. The usual failure mode here is inability to start the vehicle, but in a warm climate, an old weak battery might easily start the car.

Some retail stores, like Autozone, will gladly test the load performance of your battery for free (hoping to eventually sell you a new one). Their test is not perfect, but is a useful indicator of how much it has deteriorated relative to when it was new.
Old 04-27-23, 03:05 PM
wheezer1
Driver School Candidate

2019 NX. Battery lasted 3 years 4 months at 25K miles.
Old 04-27-23, 07:02 PM
Rjngo
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Our lasted about 4 years…Toronto weather
The following users liked this post:
RA121823 (12-14-23)
Old 04-27-23, 09:17 PM
End1ess
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

4 yrs with 30k km..... Toronto winter... The battery still doing pretty good, I say still have at least 1 to 2 yr lifespan. i don't drive a lot the car sits in the garage for 3 winter days loose a lot of it's charge, didnt want to take my chance.
The following users liked this post:
RA121823 (12-14-23)
Old 04-28-23, 02:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by johnxp
My 2016 NX 200t still has the original OEM battery. It has run over 80k miles for the last 7 years. I checked the battery with my multimeter, it seems still strong.
I want to know what is the average life span of the OEM battery. Dealer told me it is less than 5 years.
I don't want to waste a good battery, on the other side, I don't want it fails at some inconvenient time.
7 years is pretty good for a battery, I once got 6 years out of a battery in one of my cars but I live in New England. With the engine off, the fully charged car battery voltage will measure 12.6 volts. You should also ask the dealer to do a battery load test.
Old 04-28-23, 04:29 AM
LexMan2003
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Most of the time my car batteries have lasted many, many years (5-7). MOST people are unaware that some batteries require regular inspection and maintenance. Some batteries are truly 'maintenance free' (the type I hate), but many batteries you CAN inspect/maintain.
MOST people THINK that all car batteries today are 'maintenance free' when in fact they are NOT. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

I have owned cars my entire life, and have very rarely had to replace a battery AT/NEAR the warranty date. They've always lasted me well beyond the warranty period. Maybe I'm just lucky? I somehow don't think so. I truly believe that my batteries have lasted me longer than the warranty periods because I've inspected/maintained them.

The inspection/maintenance I'm referring to is VERY simple, and QUICK. You open the cell caps and inspect the level. If it's low, you add DISTILLED water ONLY. It must be DISTILLED WATER. During natural/normal use the level in your battery WILL dissipate. If you let it get too low, it usually causes irreparable damage to the battery.

My good friend was having battery/starting problems on his minivan. I checked his battery and of course it was low on 'water'. I filled his cells (distilled water) and told him to enjoy his long 100 mile ride home, and see how it reacts over the next week. ALL WAS FINE. No need for a new battery! He got lucky and the low cell level(s) didn't get to the point to cause irreparable harm to the battery itself. That was over a year ago and he hasn't had a starting problem since!

I have a 2020 car I bought new and the battery IS 'serviceable'. There are six plastic screw-on covers. I've had the SUV since it was new. I check the level in each of the 6 cells perhaps once every 3-4 months. I've added water to one/more cells at least twice already. If you read up on it, I'm sure you'll find that some people add some other kind of chemical to the battery, other than water. I've been adding water to car batteries for many years now. Remember - DISTILLED water ONLY.

Here's a good article on maintaining your 'serviceable' battery:
https://www.familyhandyman.com/artic...battery-fluid/

I am of the opinion that most parts stores AND mechanics either don't really think of this, or just simply don't WANT to tell you this!
Old 04-28-23, 11:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The new Lexus’s batteries are sealed, I would not attempt to open any battery unless you know what you are doing.
Old 04-29-23, 06:57 AM
johnxp
8th Gear

Thanks for all the response. I live in SF bay area, and car is kept in garage year around. Most of mileages are for highway driving. But I did not do any maintainance for the battery. I will do the load test one more time and decide if it needs replacement.
Old 04-29-23, 09:02 AM
Rjngo
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If I were you…I would get a new battery to be safe. Don’t wanna be stuck somewhere. Plus a battery isn’t that expensive to replace 👍🏻
Old 06-01-23, 04:39 PM
johnxp
8th Gear

Just a follow up. Every morning I open my garage door from inside, start the car, drive out the garage door, then close the garage door using homelink. Since last week, I can not close my door with homelink immediately, I need to let the car run idle for couple of minutes, then the homelink works. It is the first sign of weak battery. I redid the load test, the voltage dropped from 12.6volt to 9.1volt during cranking. I concluded it is the time to replace the battery. The current odometer shows 83K miles.
Old 12-10-23, 03:40 PM
chas410
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

My wife's 2016 NX200t has built date 10/2015 and built in Japan. The battery was starting the car with no problem. But over the last 4 months two different shops has told me the battery was only showing between 235 to 225 CCA. Because the wife drives 25 miles to work and winter coming, I didn't want to catch hell. So I picked up a Walmart battery and replaced it. The guy at Walmart paid me back the core charge and said if I wanted to keep it and put in a boat it may last a couple of years. The old battery was made by Panasonic and Lexus told me their replacement would have been an Interstate. Seems like Tesla is the only thing getting batteries from Panasonic.

Last edited by chas410; 12-10-23 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-11-23, 01:19 PM
johnxp
8th Gear

Originally Posted by chas410
My wife's 2016 NX200t has built date 10/2015 and built in Japan. The battery was starting the car with no problem. But over the last 4 months two different shops has told me the battery was only showing between 235 to 225 CCA. Because the wife drives 25 miles to work and winter coming, I didn't want to catch hell. So I picked up a Walmart battery and replaced it. The guy at Walmart paid me back the core charge and said if I wanted to keep it and put in a boat it may last a couple of years. The old battery was made by Panasonic and Lexus told me their replacement would have been an Interstate. Seems like Tesla is the only thing getting batteries from Panasonic.
I got my replacement from Costco, an interstate AGM Battery. It is much lighter and supposed to be better than OEM traditional battery. Hope it will last longer too
Old 12-12-23, 04:33 PM
End1ess
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by johnxp
I got my replacement from Costco, an interstate AGM Battery. It is much lighter and supposed to be better than OEM traditional battery. Hope it will last longer too
I got the Energizer AGM battery from Costco, it felt like 50% more heavier.

Last edited by End1ess; 12-12-23 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-13-23, 11:26 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

My 2016 with 50k miles is still going strong, no sign of difficulty starting up so far.
I'm in sunny so cal, no extreme cold or heat.

Quick Reply: How long does your NX OEM battery last