NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Liftgate motor kit for NX300 that never had one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-23, 07:25 PM
JRMLexus
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liftgate motor kit for NX300 that never had one?

Greetings!
A used 2021 NX 300 was just purchased 3 days ago for my frail female friend, and it doesn't have a motorized rear liftgate. Ugh! We didn't realize it didn't come with one, and the dealership is saying 'too bad too sad' (purchased in KY). Is there an aftermarket motorized rear liftgate kit available, or is this possibly available from a dealer (likely for $$$$$)? If there's no way to retrofit a motor to the liftgate we'll probably have to sell it, and I don't want to do that!
I've searched many forums here before posting this question and couldn't find a discussion on this topic.
Any helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
JoeM
Old 05-07-23, 08:11 AM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Looks like you’ll have to sell it, or convince your friend that lifting the hatch will help shape her arms and improve her muscle tone.
Old 05-08-23, 04:58 PM
n0v8or
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 108 Posts

I did a quick estimate of the cost of just the necessary parts at a discount OEM parts site. It quickly reached $3000, and there were still perhaps a dozen smaller items I did not find listed. There will also be software changes required to check if you have a valid remote before unlocking the liftgate, setting how far it should open, and communication between the liftgate computer and body computer.

Virtually anything can be done if cost is not a consideration, even converting an NX into a mid-engine vehicle. Strictly from a financial viewpoint, I don't think this would be a practical project.
The following users liked this post:
JRMLexus (05-08-23)
Old 05-08-23, 06:36 PM
JRMLexus
4th Gear

Thank you n0v8or. You make a really valid point.
Old 05-08-23, 06:39 PM
JRMLexus
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Roscol
Looks like you’ll have to sell it, or convince your friend that lifting the hatch will help shape her arms and improve her muscle tone.
And she really liked this vehicle BUT with her scoliosis it just won't work out for her. Thank you for responding though.
Old 05-08-23, 06:43 PM
JRMLexus
4th Gear

Originally Posted by JRMLexus
Greetings!
A used 2021 NX 300 was just purchased 3 days ago ......suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
JoeM
Well, I have to say, it pays to do your homework BEFORE making a serious purchase like this. I appreciate everyone's replies and suggestions. It looks like the car will have to be traded in or sold privately so she can purchase one with that one silly, yet very costly, feature. Sigh. I should have just bought a side car for my Harley and offered her $1 rides!
Old 09-12-23, 06:48 PM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by JRMLexus
Well, I have to say, it pays to do your homework BEFORE making a serious purchase like this. I appreciate everyone's replies and suggestions. It looks like the car will have to be traded in or sold privately so she can purchase one with that one silly, yet very costly, feature. Sigh. I should have just bought a side car for my Harley and offered her $1 rides!
My response is a little late, but if you're still looking for a solution, there's an aftermarket retrofit kit for about $700 on www.autoease.com.
It's complete and plug and play.

I plan on ordering one for a family member's Ioniq 5 that didn't have one.
Old 09-13-23, 05:46 PM
LexMan2003
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
My response is a little late, but if you're still looking for a solution, there's an aftermarket retrofit kit for about $700 on www.autoease.com.
It's complete and plug and play.

I plan on ordering one for a family member's Ioniq 5 that didn't have one.
WOW. Isn't that amazing! I went to the website, and see that they sell this for MANY Lexus NX years. The ONE year they do NOT offer is 2021, which is the year of the OP's vehicle!

Too bad you're so far away, I actually would've considered doing some trade/cash deal with you. I have a 2020 and it has the power liftgate and I actually don't care for it. I would rather use my arms to lift it up, which really wouldn't be too bad for me. But I also have compassion for someone who would not be able to handle it, so mainly out of doing someone a favor I would've considered it.

I would suggest that you keep looking around for a compatible product. OR, you can call the place mentioned and discuss it with them and ask them why 2021 was excluded from their list. Maybe, just maybe, it's because they're out of stock!

Also, another option is to go to (or CALL) local high-end electronic auto places (places that install car audio systems) and talk to them. They would probably be well qualified to handle this.

HERE'S another option....I noticed on that manufacturer's website they even give references for installers. CALL some of those installers near you, and ask them! Maybe they know of a different model/manufacturer that would fit the 2021.