NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX200T Oil Leak (not front or rear cam seal?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-23, 12:52 PM
MackBuys
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NX200T Oil Leak (not front or rear cam seal?)

*** UPDATE - Ended up being the rear main seal, unfortunately. The leak is coming out of the black plastic bolt access cover for the Torque Converter (and it's def oil not tranny fluid).
The oil that looked like it was coming down from the valve cover was just a bit of oil that spilled when adding oil. We could tell because once we wiped it, the oil was new and not black at all ***

I have a 2015 Lexus NX200T 100k miles.
I noticed an oil leak on the garage floor. No other symptoms. I slid under the car and noticed oil forming drips near the middle of the engine. This is what it looked like:

The car has never had an oil leak to date. The only work done was spark plug replacement 3-4 months ago before the leak started.
Is it the valve cover seal?
Any ideas?

Last edited by MackBuys; 06-12-23 at 12:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vudoonx (11-23-23)
Old 06-07-23, 04:38 PM
MackBuys
7th Gear

**EDIT** I was the rear main seal after-all

Last edited by MackBuys; 06-12-23 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-07-23, 10:50 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I’m no mechanic but I had my rear main transmission seal replaced. Similar leak and it took them 4 days to come up with the likely source.
Becoming a bit of a notorious issue with the NX especially 2015 turbo.
They replaced it no cost out of warranty so I expect it is a known problem within corporate.
Old 06-07-23, 10:52 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

By the way, the other 2 main issues with this engine is premature battery wear (was told it was the stop start system). It announces itself with random codes and warnings been thrown up. Also fuel pump causing stalling at start up in significant cold or heat.

Initial battery replaced under warranty. Paid for subsequent batteries. Fuel pump replaced under recall.
Old 06-08-23, 04:52 AM
LexMan2003
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Sorry for the stupid question - You're certain it is MOTOR OIL? You touched it, smelled it? (sorry!)

One thing you could try is washing off the engine completely, and then examining it after driving a bit. Then, it might be easier to find the source.
Old 06-08-23, 08:53 AM
MackBuys
7th Gear

Originally Posted by miop4000
I’m no mechanic but I had my rear main transmission seal replaced. Similar leak and it took them 4 days to come up with the likely source.
Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by MackBuys; 06-12-23 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-08-23, 08:59 AM
MackBuys
7th Gear

Originally Posted by LexMan2003
Sorry for the stupid question - You're certain it is MOTOR OIL? You touched it, smelled it? (sorry!)
One thing you could try is washing off the engine completely, and then examining it after driving a bit. Then, it might be easier to find the source.
No worries, glad you asked! It is indeed oil as opposed to ATF, I'm sure of it.

Last edited by MackBuys; 06-10-23 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-18-23, 03:25 PM
floodstalker
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MackBuys
*** UPDATE - Ended up being the rear main seal, unfortunately. The leak is coming out of the black plastic bolt access cover for the Torque Converter (and it's def oil not tranny fluid).
The oil that looked like it was coming down from the valve cover was just a bit of oil that spilled when adding oil. We could tell because once we wiped it, the oil was new and not black at all ***

I have a 2015 Lexus NX200T 100k miles.
I noticed an oil leak on the garage floor. No other symptoms. I slid under the car and noticed oil forming drips near the middle of the engine. This is what it looked like:

The car has never had an oil leak to date. The only work done was spark plug replacement 3-4 months ago before the leak started.
Is it the valve cover seal?
Any ideas?
Did you get this fixed? Just discovered the same issue on my 2015 nx200t 65k miles.

I wiped out down because it was worse.

Old 11-23-23, 07:32 AM
vudoonx
6th Gear

Interesting glad you found the issue and fixed it.
Old 11-23-23, 08:41 PM
MackBuys
7th Gear

Originally Posted by floodstalker
Did you get this fixed? Just discovered the same issue on my 2015 nx200t 65k miles.
OK, so this is strange... the leak just totally stopped. I do expect it to likely come back, but for now it has not leaked a drop of oil in months (since I made this OP).
It WAS leaking as you can see in the pictures. I put cardboard under the NX everyday and monitored the leak. It was small, maybe 5 drops or so every day while it sat overnight.
It leaked every day like this for about 4 weeks, but was so small that I only had to add a little oil once.

I called the local Lexus dealership and they quoted me $4,800. Per their books it was over a 20 hour job as they pull the entire engine.
I called the local Toyota dealership and they quoted me $2.800. They said the don't pull the engine, but rather drop the transmission only.
I called a local transmission shop since they see rear main seals all the time. One place said they wouldn't even do it - the other place quoted something like $2,300.

I'd have went with Toyota... but for some reason the leak just totally STOPPED. I didn't use any additives; no stop leak gunk. I didn't use a thicker oil. Nothing changed, but as of now I have not had 1 drop of oil on the cardboard under the NX for months. I haven't had to add oil once, although I still do check it every weekend or so. I've driven hour long trips on the highway as well.

So uhhhhh... I have no idea, but FOR NOW my rear main seal leak has stopped. I'll update this thread if that changes

Last edited by MackBuys; 11-23-23 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-27-23, 10:15 AM
floodstalker
2nd gear

Originally Posted by MackBuys
OK, so this is strange... the leak just totally stopped. I do expect it to likely come back, but for now it has not leaked a drop of oil in months (since I made this OP).
It WAS leaking as you can see in the pictures. I put cardboard under the NX everyday and monitored the leak. It was small, maybe 5 drops or so every day while it sat overnight.
It leaked every day like this for about 4 weeks, but was so small that I only had to add a little oil once.

I called the local Lexus dealership and they quoted me $4,800. Per their books it was over a 20 hour job as they pull the entire engine.
I called the local Toyota dealership and they quoted me $2.800. They said the don't pull the engine, but rather drop the transmission only.
I called a local transmission shop since they see rear main seals all the time. One place said they wouldn't even do it - the other place quoted something like $2,300.

I'd have went with Toyota... but for some reason the leak just totally STOPPED. I didn't use any additives; no stop leak gunk. I didn't use a thicker oil. Nothing changed, but as of now I have not had 1 drop of oil on the cardboard under the NX for months. I haven't had to add oil once, although I still do check it every weekend or so. I've driven hour long trips on the highway as well.

So uhhhhh... I have no idea, but FOR NOW my rear main seal leak has stopped. I'll update this thread if that changes
Well I took mine to the dealer this week, reading some other posts about this I was expecting a $3k-5k repair bill. They did confirm the leak is a rear main seal leak and the cost of repair is $1800, I think they said 8 hours of labor. So overall while I am not happy to have to do this to a 75k car, I guess it could have been a lot worse. I did ask if I can expect this to happen again in 75k miles, obviously he did not say much but offered up that lexus and toyota are always improving their specs if there is a peice that is known to fail prematurely. Ill take that as an acknowledgement of a problem. Hopefully others getting this repair are not paying much more than this.
Old 11-27-23, 09:33 PM
MackBuys
7th Gear

Man, I wish that was my quote! The numbers I got seem so high... even your $1,800 @ 8 hours is $225 a shop hour, which isn't cheap.
I can't understand how they're coming up with the prices I got. Like, I'd save money driving to your state to get the repair (if the NX could make it).

I have heard that the new seal is different then the 2015 OEM, so hopefully that addressed the problem.

Also, while they have the transmission separated it's a GOOD idea to change the front transmission seal, even if there's no problems with it.
To get to it is the same 8 hour process as to get to the rear main seal... so while they were that deep in, hopefully they did (or will do) it.
Definitely ask about it if you haven't had the work done yet.

Last edited by MackBuys; 11-27-23 at 09:36 PM.