NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Stateside NX suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-23, 11:16 AM
chezgk
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Stateside NX suggestions

Hey, everyone. You may remember me posting DIY guides and what not in my build thread for the NX200t that I have back home. I still have it but recently moved to IL for grad school. I'm thinking of getting a used NX200t/300/300h here with the following features:

- F Sport bumper
- Triple beam head lights if 2018-up
- non-triple beam HLs if 2015-2017
- Factory android auto
- Heated and cooled seats
- Heated steering wheel
- non-adaptive suspension
- black interior

Did such a combination ever exist? I was considering the 2021 NX300h black edition, but those seem pretty hard to find.

Other options are the 2022 Santa Fe Calligraphy 2.5T because this engine has dual injection like Toyotas and also since my family was happy with our diesel Santa Fe back home utility-wise; a Grand Cherokee with the smaller Pentastar V6 because it seems more reliable than the V8 and I've always wanted one of them but they only have Fiat diesel engines back home; or a Cherokee trailhawk just because it looks fun.
Old 06-19-23, 05:59 PM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It’s probably possible to find that. I have a 2016 F-sport, triple beam headlights , black interior, non adaptive suspension. I think about the only I don’t have is the android. And I don’t have cooled seats only heated seats and heated steering wheel.

On a side note, I was reading some of your build, I did have a question about lowering and what you did. Seems extremely engineered for the type of driving you do. I currently Have set of TEIN coilovers from my old 2009 XB. I know I have to change the springs for a stiffer spring rate. Because I did test fit them on my NX, and it’s a direct bolt in, since they use some of the same components as the XB, the top mount is exact fit, the lower mounts are exact. Sway bar and brake lines all matched up. I was thinking of getting some Swift higher spring rate springs for the front to replace the TEIN springs. But for the rear I’m not sure what to do. I can’t run TEIN rear springs, the spring rate is way too soft. If I can find a lower spring , I am unsure what to use for the rear shock to run lower. I only really want to drop the NX around 2 inches.
I would love to hear some of your input on getting me to where I need to be. I was also tempted to run air bag over coils since there are some that will fit my TEIN coilovers, but as a daily driver I still on the fence about running airbags on a daily basis.
Old 06-20-23, 04:36 AM
chezgk
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by LophatRX
It’s probably possible to find that. I have a 2016 F-sport, triple beam headlights , black interior, non adaptive suspension. I think about the only I don’t have is the android. And I don’t have cooled seats only heated seats and heated steering wheel.
I guess I can pass up Android Auto and just use one of the extra phones I brought with me. I really don't want to deal with installing a GROM VL2 all over again on a vehicle that will only be temporary to me. Cooled seats are nice to have vs heated bits that are absolutely necessary, given how winters here go.

Originally Posted by LophatRX
On a side note, I was reading some of your build, I did have a question about lowering and what you did. Seems extremely engineered for the type of driving you do. I currently Have set of TEIN coilovers from my old 2009 XB. I know I have to change the springs for a stiffer spring rate. Because I did test fit them on my NX, and it’s a direct bolt in, since they use some of the same components as the XB, the top mount is exact fit, the lower mounts are exact. Sway bar and brake lines all matched up. I was thinking of getting some Swift higher spring rate springs for the front to replace the TEIN springs. But for the rear I’m not sure what to do. I can’t run TEIN rear springs, the spring rate is way too soft. If I can find a lower spring , I am unsure what to use for the rear shock to run lower. I only really want to drop the NX around 2 inches.
I would love to hear some of your input on getting me to where I need to be. I was also tempted to run air bag over coils since there are some that will fit my TEIN coilovers, but as a daily driver I still on the fence about running airbags on a daily basis.
Very interesting that xB parts actually fit that well. The NX shares its platform with the 06-18 RAV4 and 13-18 Asian Harrier and its subframe with the Toyota Previa, Alphard/Vellfire, and Prius V. Sharing parts like this definitely brings manufacturing cost down at the expense of leaving performance at the table.

If you can get the damping right, then yes, Swift springs should work well up front. For the rears, you might want to consider buying a set or rear springs, mid lower lock rings, lower lock rings, and spring seats from BC Racing. The springs seats won't show up in the website for some reason, but I'm reasonably certain that they have them available. Try shooting them an email for it.

For the rear shock, you can use Bilstein B6 monotubes or Bilstein B4 twin tubes. The B6's P/N is 24-282963. With the way the multilink rear suspension's motion ratio is setup, you probably won't bottom the shock out even if you lower the NX by 2 inches, since every inch of wheel stroke only compresses the shock by 0.5" or thereabouts.

Lastly, I've had friends run airbags on their cars before and personally find the setup to entail too much work and fuss on a daily driver, but that's just me.