NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Dealerships says engine needs to be removed for Fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-23, 11:58 PM
AkashAgg
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealerships says engine needs to be removed for Fuel injectors

Hello, I took my 2015 NX200t Base with 75K Miles due to a check engine light and told some faulty fuel injectors were found.

Because I have a third party warranty they need a manual that says the engine needs to be removed but the dealership says they have no written manual.

it’s hard to believe that a repair process in not in the books. If I can prove to the warranty company that this need engine removal then I won’t have to pay a lot of money for this.

How should I prove it?
Old 06-21-23, 04:45 AM
RafalPL
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that for my personal experience extended warranty or additional coverage is like scam Warranty company do everything to not cover. Best if you buy car is put money on the side and forget about, if you need you have.
The following users liked this post:
zozoramelu (06-25-23)
Old 06-21-23, 08:06 AM
n0v8or
Intermediate

Received 157 Likes on 106 Posts

There are 2 sets of injectors in this engine, high pressure (direct injection) and low pressure (port injection). Which require cleaning or replacement (perhaps both)?

The factory repair manual is available to dealers and subscribers as online computer files rather than in printed form. This allows the manual to be updated periodically when technicians find a more effective method to perform a repair, without the need to publish a printed addendum. Toyota / Lexus adopted this repair data access approach more than 15 years ago, as have most other passenger car manufacturers.

When the dealer said they had "no written manual", that was a literally correct, but incomplete, statement. They have a manual, albeit in "soft" form, accessible to them with a few keystrokes.

The following 2 users liked this post by n0v8or:
LexMan2003 (06-24-23), zozoramelu (06-25-23)
Old 06-21-23, 10:54 AM
n0v8or
Intermediate

I do not have a current update subscription, so my information is ~4 years old, and there may have been changes since 2019.

The port injectors appear to be relatively easy. They are accessible from the top, and all 4 can be removed together with the fuel delivery pipe after removing a few fasteners.
The direct injectors are a huge project. Lexus does not recommend to remove the engine, but a lot of what is bolted to it must be removed, including:
exhaust pipes;
throttle body (barely visible and has to be extracted from under the engine;
intercooler;
intake manifold;
windshield wipers, motor, and linkages;
several coolant hoses (drain coolant also, I assume);
high pressure fuel delivery pipes.

The direct injector removal procedure is specified as applicable to NX200T models manufactured after September 2015. Nothing is mentioned for earlier versions.
Old 06-21-23, 11:03 AM
AkashAgg
3rd Gear

how can I find this soft form to provide to the warranty company.

Originally Posted by n0v8or
There are 2 sets of injectors in this engine, high pressure (direct injection) and low pressure (port injection). Which require cleaning or replacement (perhaps both)?

The factory repair manual is available to dealers and subscribers as online computer files rather than in printed form. This allows the manual to be updated periodically when technicians find a more effective method to perform a repair, without the need to publish a printed addendum. Toyota / Lexus adopted this repair data access approach more than 15 years ago, as have most other passenger car manufacturers.

When the dealer said they had "no written manual", that was a literally correct, but incomplete, statement. They have a manual, albeit in "soft" form, accessible to them with a few keystrokes.
Old 06-21-23, 12:04 PM
n0v8or
Intermediate

Go here:
https://techinfo.toyota.com
Click on "Subscribe" near the top of the page to see subscription pricing.
The $25 2-day "pass" should be more than adequate to get accustomed to site navigation and accomplish your objective.
Old 06-22-23, 08:47 AM
AkashAgg
3rd Gear

Thanks! I also have contacted Lexus directly to help the dealership find the documentation for this type of work.
Old 06-22-23, 01:28 PM
n0v8or
Intermediate

Don't expect the dealer to be particularly cooperative or enthusiastic if the instructions will be used to assist a competitor and deprive them of a profitable repair.
zozoramelu (06-25-23)
Old 06-23-23, 03:49 AM
zozoramelu
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, I had my share of frustration (but in the end success) with my 2015 Lexus NX200t at the dealer here in Quebec. I bought this car from a local third party auctioneer fairly cheap. My enthusiasm ended rapidly when the winter arrived and the temp outside went below 0 degrees celsius. At the first start in the cold morning, a loud piston slap noise came from the engine. I was lucky that the car was still in engine warranty for another 5000 km. When I went to the dealer with the car, they tried to get rid of me with different reasons like: we don't know the car (because it was bought from a third party), you come at the end of warranty with an engine problem and now you want us to replace the engine for you, etc. Not at all cooperative...
They surely acted like they didn't hear that slapping noise when they started the engine early in the morning in their auto-park (which was brought a day before to do the test next morning).
At one point they asked me if I was a mechanic because I was talking about piston slap and all...
I replied that I was not their average customer, and I really am concerned about the car.
I believe they thought I revved the engine too hard and I burned something inside. They asked me for a car maintenance history hoping I would not have one. But I did. The third party dealer provided me with one at the time of purchasing. So I presented it to the dealer. Then, they tried to convince me to place my car side by side with a car with same mileage, and then start both to compare the noise coming from both. Totally unprofessional! They even told me this type of engine never had these problems...
All of this lasted for about two weeks at the end of which I lost my patience. I went to the dealer and I asked to talk to the foreman. When he showed up, I started to raise my voice at them (with the dealership full of people), asking what the hell is going on with the diagnostic of my car. At the time, I could see my car up on the lift in the shop.
The foreman replied to me that I bought this car defective elsewhere and now I want the dealer to change the engine with a brand new one. That was it for me... I lost it right there and then.
I told them that I don't want a new engine, but I want them to fix the one on the car. If they could not fix the one on my car, then yes, I want a new engine, and that ASAP!
Apparently, this is how the problems are fixed in Quebec, you have to get mad in front of their customers in order to make them honor the conditions of their own warranty.
I had prepared myself pretty good for this ordeal beforehand, in the terms that I had all the important contacts saved; Robert Tsang (Director of Toyota Sales and Field Operations at Toyota Canada Inc.) was in my contacts in LinkedIn, I have even sent him a few messages about Lexus deals, Larry Hutchinson (President and CEO, Toyota Canada Inc.), Stephen Beatty (Vice President, Corporate, Toyota Canada Inc.) and Martin Gilbert (Director, Lexus Division, Toyota Canada Inc.).
I was at the end of my wits with this issue, and I was thinking to go all the way up if my issue was not going to be resolved at the dealer level...
If I didn't fix this piston slap in the warranty, I was going to be forced to pay out of my pocket to fix it later, right?

But luckily, after another 2 weeks, a rep from the dealer called me and told me they ordered a new engine complete block (engine body, pistons and all) for my car.
After another month, they called to go get my car. So, all in all, I have been using courtesy cars for about 2 months and a half...
Man that new engine sound when you start your car at below 0 celsius was music to my ears!

In the end, I became very good friends with the manager and he even asked (and I agreed) to give them 5 stars on the workmanship.

I now have a car wih 135.000 km and an engine with only 20.000km...
Why the heck would I want to let this car go?
I see no reason coming up any time soon, and that is including the fact that lots of people go now for electric...
Not me! Not any time soon...

Last edited by zozoramelu; 06-25-23 at 04:11 AM.
Old 06-24-23, 05:01 AM
LexMan2003
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by zozoramelu
Yeah, I had my share of frustration (but in the end success) with my 2015 Lexus NX200t at the dealer here in Quebec. I bought this car from a local third party auctioneer fairly cheap. My enthusiasm ended rapidly when the winter arrived and the temp outside went below 0 degrees celsius. At the first start in the cold morning, a loud piston slap noise came from the engine. I was lucky that the car was still in engine warranty for another 5000 km. When I went to the dealer with the car, they tried to get rid of me with different reasons like: we don't know the car (because it was bought from a third party), you come at the end of warranty with an engine problemand now you want us to replace the engine for you, etc. Not at all cooperative...
They surely acted like they didn't hear that slapping noise when they started the engine early in the morning in their auto-park (which was brought a day before to do the test next morning).
At one point they asked me if I was a mechanic because I was talking about piston slap and all...
I replied that I was not their average customer, and I really am concerned about the car.
I believe they thought I revved the engine too hard and I burned something inside. They asked me for a car maintenance history hoping I would not have one. But I did. The third party dealer provided me with one at the time of purchasing. So I presented it to the dealer. Then, they tried to convince me to place my car side by side with a car with same mileage, and then start both to compare the noise coming from both. Totally unprofessional! They even told me this type of engine never had these problems...
All of this lasted for about two weeks at the end of which I lost my patience. I went to the dealer and I asked to talk to the foreman. When he showed up, I started to raise my voice at them (with the dealership full of people), asking what the hell is going on with the diagnostic of my car. At the time, I could see my car up on the lift in the shop.
The foreman replied to me that I bought this car defective elsewhere and now I want the dealer to change the engine with a brand new one. That was it for me... I exploded right there and then.
I told them that I don't want a new engine, but I want them to fix the one on the car. If they could not fix the one on my car, then yes, I want a new engine, and that ASAP!
Apparently, this is how the problems are fixed in Quebec, you have to get mad in front of their customers in order to make them honor the conditions of their own warranty.
I had prepared myself pretty good for this quarry beforehand, in the terms that I had all the important contacts saved; Robert Tsang (Director of Toyota Sales and Field Operations at Toyota Canada Inc.) was in my contacts in LinkedIn, I have even sent him a few messages about Lexus deals, Larry Hutchinson (President and CEO, Toyota Canada Inc.), Stephen Beatty (Vice President, Corporate, Toyota Canada Inc.) and Martin Gilbert (Director, Lexus Division, Toyota Canada Inc.).
I was at the end of my wits with this issue, and I was thinking to go all the way up if my issue was not going to be resolved at the dealer level...
If I didn't fix this piston slap in the warranty, I was going to be forced to pay out of my pocket to fix it later, right?

But luckily, after another 2 weeks, a rep from the dealer called me and told me they ordered a new engine complete block (engine body, pistons and all) for my car.
After another month, they called to go get my car. So, all in all, I have been using courtesy cars for about 2 months and a half...
Man that new engine sound when you start your car at below 0 celsius was music to my ears!

In the end, I became very good friends with the manager and he even asked (and I agreed) to give them 5 stars on the workmanship.

I now have a car wih 135.000 km and an engine with only 20.000km...
Why the heck would I want ot let this car go?
I see no reason coming up any time soon, and that is including the fact that lots of people go now for electric...
Not me! Not any time soon...
Bravo
BRAVO
BRAVO !!!
zozoramelu (06-25-23)
Old 06-11-24, 08:06 AM
raulramirezp
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AkashAgg
Hello, I took my 2015 NX200t Base with 75K Miles due to a check engine light and told some faulty fuel injectors were found.

Because I have a third party warranty they need a manual that says the engine needs to be removed but the dealership says they have no written manual.

it’s hard to believe that a repair process in not in the books. If I can prove to the warranty company that this need engine removal then I won’t have to pay a lot of money for this.

How should I prove it?
Hello, the problem is that you keep low fuel in the tank or you park on a ramp. Only need to refill with gas and reset the check engine light.