NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Refitting the A pillar cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-24, 08:03 PM
Palance
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Refitting the A pillar cover

Need some help with refitting the a pillar cover. Watched a YouTube video (yeah I should have known better) that said it just pops off and on which is not the case I pried it open and now cannot get it to snap back in place.
Old 01-19-24, 01:47 PM
n0v8or
Intermediate

Received 157 Likes on 106 Posts

As you now know, the A-pillar "garnish" does not "just pop off", and for a good reason. The side-impact head protection airbag is located directly behind it. If the airbag deployed, it would propel the garnish directly at the driver (or front passenger) at the speed of a bullet. The retainer clips are designed to allow the garnish to move just far enough to let the inflating airbag pass by, but still remain connected to the steel frame.

Refer to image 1 in the attached drawings. There are two of these special retainers in the locations marked by triangles. The drawing within the red ellipse shows the retainer in its normal position. The drawing within the green ellipse shows the retainer after the airbag deploys or the garnish is detached for service. This is done by applying force with your hand in the region marked *a. Use of a pry tool is not advised, to avoid possible damage to the airbag.

The garnish will only pull out approximately 1 inch. To release the "Y-shaped" end of the retainers, you have to work through a small opening and twist the retainer with small needle-nose pliers. When rotated ~90 degrees, the "Y" end should pass through a slot in the bracket (refer to image 2). I have never been able to do this (nor do I have access to a trained gerbil who could), so I cut the retainers with diagonal cutters and buy new ones. Finally, you slide the garnish in the direction of the black arrow (image 2) to release 2 clips at the bottom end.

Image 3 shows how to remove the inner end of the retainers.

Now that you know what to look for, inspect both your garnish and pillar for remnants of damaged retainers, which are probably what is preventing you from re-attaching the part.