NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2016 Lexus NX200 2.0L cranks but doesn’t start? Fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-24, 06:41 PM
n0v8or
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 108 Posts

If you decide to remove the turbo, I can post a rough outline of the factory-recommended procedure, accompanied by some drawings. There is also a set of recommended precautions to be aware of.
Old 03-29-24, 12:58 PM
Thearc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by n0v8or
If you decide to remove the turbo, I can post a rough outline of the factory-recommended procedure, accompanied by some drawings. There is also a set of recommended precautions to be aware of.
If you have a manual or docs on replacing it please share!

Please watch video and let me know your thoughts

Last edited by Thearc; 03-29-24 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-29-24, 01:07 PM
Thearc
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexura16
@Thearc You need to determine if the engine is still serviceable or not. If serious damage had occurred, you'll be looking to replace/remove the engine which will make trouble shooting/replacing the turbo much easier. My bad for forgetting that the NX has separate cooling systems as nOv8or had pointed out in his post.
As you had observed, the turbo's seal(s) was(were) leaking coolant. Also coolant was leaking from hole in turbo. Hole and seal(s) are one and the same ?
Regardless, the turbo is compromised. However, the priority is still to determine engine health and then go from there.
I’ll be looking at the engine this weekend.

please see video and let me know your thoughts

Old 03-30-24, 07:59 AM
Lexura16
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

When engine was cranked, a noticeable spray of liquid ( I'm assuming it's coolant and not fuel ). With second crank, spray and (mist and/or smoke) along with it. If you concur with this observation and my best guess is that the head gasket is blown allowing small amount of coolant to leak ( not too copious a volume to hydro-lock the cylinder(s)) into one or more cylinders. Upon cranking said coolant were then expelled forcefully to turbo unit. There is obviously a leak somewhere between engine and turbo. Best guess would be the head gasket again.
If its really smoke i.e. exhaust fumes that were in the video, it could indicate one or more cylinders were firing. A check of the spark plugs would give you relevant insight.
If you a small mirror handy , see if you can locate the source of the coolant leak.
You also mentioned a leak at the turbo and found two detached 11mm bolts. The coolant and oil inlet & outlet for the turbo are gasket & flange connections and are attached to turbo body by two bolts per. Check both flange connections for missing bolts. May put to rest this bit of mystery.
Old 03-30-24, 08:47 AM
Thearc
Rookie

When engine was cranked, a noticeable spray of liquid ( I'm assuming it's coolant and not fuel ). With second crank, spray and (mist and/or smoke) along with it. If you concur with this observation and my best guess is that the head gasket is blown allowing small amount of coolant to leak ( not too copious a volume to hydro-lock the cylinder(s)) into one or more cylinders. Upon cranking said coolant were then expelled forcefully to turbo unit. There is obviously a leak somewhere between engine and turbo. Best guess would be the head gasket again.
If its really smoke i.e. exhaust fumes that were in the video, it could indicate one or more cylinders were firing. A check of the spark plugs would give you relevant insight.
If you a small mirror handy , see if you can locate the source of the coolant leak.
You also mentioned a leak at the turbo and found two detached 11mm bolts. The coolant and oil inlet & outlet for the turbo are gasket & flange connections and are attached to turbo body by two bolts per. Check both flange connections for missing bolts. May put to rest this bit of mystery.
Might be the bolts or the seals but how could they fall off? I wish there was a diagram I could download to make sure. I don’t think it’s the head casket if I’m being honest.

My kids drove it when the water pump went out and starved the turbo right before engine almost overheated. Diagram of the turbo and engine would help confirm my suspicions.
Old 03-30-24, 10:39 AM
n0v8or
Intermediate

The exhaust line to turbo inlet elbow obstructs access to the engine water pump and is usually removed for water pump replacement. However, it is fastened to the turbo with nuts and studs, not bolts. The engine water pump does mount with bolts (5 of them); I don't know what size they are.

I am not sure what drawing you are asking for. Attached is an overall turbo system drawing. Coolant lines are rendered in blue.

*1 ECM (engine control computer)
*2 Turbo/intercooler water pump (electric)
*3 Intercooler
*4 Turbo/intercooler radiator
*5 Air bypass valve
*6 Mass airflow meter
*7 Turbo
*8 Waste gate actuator
*9 Vacuum valve
*10 Vacuum pump
*11 Engine coolant temperature sensor
*12 Crankshaft position sensor
*13 Turbo pressure sensor #1
*14 Throttle body
*15 Turbo pressure sensor #2

Old 03-30-24, 12:23 PM
Thearc
Rookie

Originally Posted by n0v8or
The exhaust line to turbo inlet elbow obstructs access to the engine water pump and is usually removed for water pump replacement. However, it is fastened to the turbo with nuts and studs, not bolts. The engine water pump does mount with bolts (5 of them); I don't know what size they are.

I am not sure what drawing you are asking for. Attached is an overall turbo system drawing. Coolant lines are rendered in blue.

*1 ECM (engine control computer)
*2 Turbo/intercooler water pump (electric)
*3 Intercooler
*4 Turbo/intercooler radiator
*5 Air bypass valve
*6 Mass airflow meter
*7 Turbo
*8 Waste gate actuator
*9 Vacuum valve
*10 Vacuum pump
*11 Engine coolant temperature sensor
*12 Crankshaft position sensor
*13 Turbo pressure sensor #1
*14 Throttle body
*15 Turbo pressure sensor #2

Thank you for the diagram, very helpful. Car finally threw a CEL light and it’s for P0117 for engine coolant temp…Did finally find the two missing bolts and they were for the coolant reservoir housing…lazy *** mechanic didn’t want to put them on

Here’s the turbo

Last edited by Thearc; 03-30-24 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-30-24, 05:13 PM
Lexura16
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What's your next move with this DTC ?
Old 03-31-24, 10:43 AM
Thearc
Rookie

What's your next move with this DTC ?
Going to check the usual(compression test, coils, injectors, thermostat, spark plugs than check the seals on the turbo)

All else fails have the dealer diagnose it and send it for repair
Old 04-01-24, 06:31 AM
n0v8or
Intermediate

Do you see any obvious damage to the Turbocharger assembly?
You might find this linked document useful:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/eifwq...w51t43rsb&dl=1

The NX engine (8AR-FTS) section begins on page 16, and the Turbo section on Page 26. If you cannot see the images, open the PDF file with a browser (Firefox and Chrome work OK) instead of the Adobe PDF Reader.
Old 04-02-24, 06:37 PM
Thearc
Rookie

UPDATE:

It’s the head gasket…$2k for engine and $1k to do the swap…dealer wanted it $11k and I laughed because I bought the car for $9k
Old 04-03-24, 04:10 AM
LexMan2003
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Can you please tell us the true root cause? Thanks.
Old 04-03-24, 07:38 AM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Perhaps I missed this, but how many miles are on your original engine?
Old 04-03-24, 07:51 AM
Thearc
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexMan2003
Can you please tell us the true root cause? Thanks.
Car most likely overheated and cracked the engine block and warped the head gasket causing no compression and coolant spilling out near the crack.
Old 04-03-24, 07:52 AM
Thearc
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
Perhaps I missed this, but how many miles are on your original engine?
Car has 120k miles, second owner

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus NX200 2.0L cranks but doesn’t start? Fuel pump?