NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Car throws an OBD code that doesn't exist! No power under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-24, 05:50 PM
sannitig
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car throws an OBD code that doesn't exist! No power under acceleration

Today experienced loss of power. Foot to the floor and the car would not downshift and just slowly climb. There was also a slight growl.... The engine sounded different.

After a few attempts to punch it the check engine came on with AWD system Malfunction, 2WD mode engaged.

Hooked up the obd reader when I got home and it throws a P25H3. Wtf is that! Never seen that in my life. Can't even Google it.

I want to disclose that 2 months ago I hit a speed bump so hard that I bottomed out the suspension, my head hit the ceiling and the baby seatbelt secured in the rear ceiling came undone.I was in absolute shock and thought the car was done. It drives straight, seemed ok for months so thought nothing of it. Every thing that happens to this car now, I will always think it's that what caused it hence my concern when it's not downshifting for power. I mean it does downshift, but not when you floor it.

​Does anyone know what that code is?

Update: could it be a stuck open wastegate? I'm getting a faint whistling at idle that pitches higher when I give a slight rev of the engine. Very faint but it's there

Last edited by sannitig; 04-15-24 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Put an update
Old 04-16-24, 05:40 AM
zozoramelu
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Weird indeed...
Could it be P2583?
https://www.troublecodes.net/p2codes/#2400
Maybe your tool is somehow not able (led screen damaged or something) to display an 8?
I suggest trying another OBDII reader.
Old 04-16-24, 06:29 AM
sannitig
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zozoramelu
Weird indeed...
Could it be P2583?
https://www.troublecodes.net/p2codes/#2400
Maybe your tool is somehow not able (led screen damaged or something) to display an 8?
I suggest trying another OBDII reader.
Thank zozo but I took a look at that code yesterday and it's the front radar sensor for park assist. I don't think it's that since the car has no power
Old 04-16-24, 06:39 AM
zozoramelu
Driver

Did you try another OBDII tool?
Old 04-16-24, 12:13 PM
sannitig
Driver School Candidate

Not yet I'll have to go to Canadian Tire to get one.

Question: do you know what type of work is required if the actuator has actually gone bad? Do you know what needs to be removed, is it extremely laborious or easily accessible?
Old 04-17-24, 09:35 AM
zozoramelu
Driver

The issue you are describing with AWD disabled, etc., is called "limp mode" by the mechanics. Yes, this is one of the symptoms of the bad wastegate actuator, and yes, I did think I had that issue a while ago. I purchased the actuator and a new set of tubes from a seller in Japan, replaced them only to find out it didn't solve my issue. The issue I had was bad spark-plugs. But I also had "multiple cylinder misfire" reported by the OBDII tool. The hard part is getting the items at a reasonable price, replacing them is not that hard. But before you do that, make sure your spark plugs are ok. When were they changed, if ever? How old is the car?
Old 04-17-24, 11:12 AM
sannitig
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, very informative.

I bought the car at 90,000km and can't remember if they were changed then, then I changed the spark plugs at 160,000km and the car is currently at 208,000km. I assume the plugs are ok but I would need to check. I have a mechanic coming over tonight with a current OBDII reader to see if we can get an updated code as my reader is extremely old.

What's interesting now is that I just filled the tank, drove 1 minute home and the next day this issue started. I drove approx 4km in the morning, got my haircut, then drove on the highway for approx 10km and that is when all this started. I think throwing in 'bad batch of gas' into the possible causes list is a good idea now that I think of it.
Old 04-17-24, 02:03 PM
sannitig
Driver School Candidate

Did you try another OBDII tool?

Got my BlueDriver today. Looks like it's wastegate stuck open
Old 04-17-24, 05:30 PM
zozoramelu
Driver

Ok,

Here are the posts with my attempts to resolve this (suggested) issue, which in fact it was totally something else. I didn't have the codes you have, just the random misfire:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ion-issue.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...-solenoid.html

You will find the TSB released by Lexus/Toyota and some instructions on how to change the actuator.

Referring to the gas tank filling, I don't think it's that, at least not with these codes.

Good luck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
lexus-tsb-solenoid (1).pdf (546.0 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by zozoramelu; 04-17-24 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-20-24, 10:05 AM
sannitig
Driver School Candidate

Ok,

Here are the posts with my attempts to resolve this (suggested) issue, which in fact it was totally something else. I didn't have the codes you have, just the random misfire:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ion-issue.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...-solenoid.html

You will find the TSB released by Lexus/Toyota and some instructions on how to change the actuator.

Referring to the gas tank filling, I don't think it's that, at least not with these codes.

Good luck
Thanks!

Checked all the vacuum lines and the actuator moves. So I'm now I'm wondering if it's the actuator itself.... If it's moving externally that's good, but is it moving the internals is the question.

I will read your links now. Thanks.
Old 05-05-24, 04:01 PM
sannitig
Driver School Candidate

Turns out it was the solenoid. Need to replace it but dealer has it in back order?

Any recommendations on reputable places I can get this solenoid from?