2020 LEXUS NX Black Line Edition

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-24, 08:59 AM
Sickboy101
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2020 LEXUS NX Black Line Edition

Hey Everyone,
I'm a new member and just joined the Lexus family. I just purchased a used 2020 Lexus NX Black Line Edition in pearl white for my wife for $36,500 Canadian or 26,500 USD. As a car detailer, I work on many high-end cars and this vehicle is in immaculate condition inside and out. The SUV has 86,000 km or roughly 53,500 miles has one previous owner with no reported accidents and has up-to-date services all performed at the same dealer that I purchased from.

I read the FAQ on extended warranties and I know it comes down to the individual and their level of comfort about spending more money to have some peace of mind. The dealership has offered me an extended "bumper to bumper" warranty for an additional four years or 160,000 km or approx 99,5000 miles for a cost of $5000 Canadian or approx. $3600 USD. I did a lot of research on this SUV and it gets a 96 out of 100 on consumer reports which is a testament to the Lexus/Toyota brand.

Here's the kicker, my wife will only be driving about 8000 km or 5,000 miles a year as this car will be used as a second vehicle. I also believe this warranty is from a third party. I sent an email this morning to the Business Manager asking want the warranty covers and will update the thread with more details as the become available. I pick up the vehicle this Friday, April 26 and have until Wednesday to decide on the warranty.

Finally, the question. Given all the information that I provided and your knowledge of the Lexus NX platform would you recommend getting the extended warranty?
Old 04-22-24, 05:41 PM
LexMan2003
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

My opinion:

I also have a 2020, but mine is no the Black Line. When I purchased mine, from a Lexus dealer, I negotiated with them to "certify" the vehicle, selling it to me as a L-Certified pre-owned. I had to pay extra for this, but I negotiated the price down, as part of the overall purchase. Why don't you ask them if it's possible to 'certify' the vehicle. The vehicle has to meet certain criteria in order for them to do this, however. You can probably read the requirements on the main Lexus website. The L/Certified warranty gives (gave) me "coverage for an additional 2 years after the manufacturer's warranty expires, for UNLIMITED mileage". I admit I did make a mistake in understanding this, but I probably would've still taken it. The 'catch' is that the mfr warranty is for 5 years OR 50k miles. Because I drive so many miles, I already hit the 50k (well before the 5 year mark). So read the statement I made... That does NOT mean that I get 7 years of warranty! My 'extended' warranty already started last year, and so from that point I get 2 years, unlimited miles (full warranty).

I am VERY confident about Toyota/Lexus, but the one thing that caused me to WANT that extra manufacturer's warranty is all this fancy-shmancy electronic gizmos. I've typically owned older-than-average vehicles because I maintain them well, and really enjoy having an 'older' car that's in 'pristine' condition. Being a detailer, I'm sure you can identify with this.

If I were to ever purchase an 'extended' warranty on a vehicle, I'd be hard pressed to get anything other than an automobile manufacturer's warranty. Perhaps I might consider a dealership's in-house warranty, if that were offered. But getting one from a 3rd party I'd be cautious.

By the way, I do a LOT of miles, perhaps 15-22k/year. I now have 72k on mine and haven't had a single problem. Even my tires (original) are wearing well because I maintain proper pressure and rotate regularly.

With usage of 5k/year, my bottom line recommendation to you is to skip it. Bank the $3,600 (USD) and if you never have to spend a penny you can take your wife out for a great dinner and STILL have a few bucks left for dessert.

IF you should decide to pursue their 3rd party warranty, I would try to research their reputation on the internet before signing.

Old 04-22-24, 06:02 PM
Sickboy101
7th Gear

Originally Posted by LexMan2003
My opinion:

I also have a 2020, but mine is no the Black Line. When I purchased mine, from a Lexus dealer, I negotiated with them to "certify" the vehicle, selling it to me as a L-Certified pre-owned. I had to pay extra for this, but I negotiated the price down, as part of the overall purchase. Why don't you ask them if it's possible to 'certify' the vehicle. The vehicle has to meet certain criteria in order for them to do this, however. You can probably read the requirements on the main Lexus website. The L/Certified warranty gives (gave) me "coverage for an additional 2 years after the manufacturer's warranty expires, for UNLIMITED mileage". I admit I did make a mistake in understanding this, but I probably would've still taken it. The 'catch' is that the mfr warranty is for 5 years OR 50k miles. Because I drive so many miles, I already hit the 50k (well before the 5 year mark). So read the statement I made... That does NOT mean that I get 7 years of warranty! My 'extended' warranty already started last year, and so from that point I get 2 years, unlimited miles (full warranty).

I am VERY confident about Toyota/Lexus, but the one thing that caused me to WANT that extra manufacturer's warranty is all this fancy-shmancy electronic gizmos. I've typically owned older-than-average vehicles because I maintain them well, and really enjoy having an 'older' car that's in 'pristine' condition. Being a detailer, I'm sure you can identify with this.

If I were to ever purchase an 'extended' warranty on a vehicle, I'd be hard pressed to get anything other than an automobile manufacturer's warranty. Perhaps I might consider a dealership's in-house warranty, if that were offered. But getting one from a 3rd party I'd be cautious.

By the way, I do a LOT of miles, perhaps 15-22k/year. I now have 72k on mine and haven't had a single problem. Even my tires (original) are wearing well because I maintain proper pressure and rotate regularly.

With usage of 5k/year, my bottom line recommendation to you is to skip it. Bank the $3,600 (USD) and if you never have to spend a penny you can take your wife out for a great dinner and STILL have a few bucks left for dessert.

IF you should decide to pursue their 3rd party warranty, I would try to research their reputation on the internet before signing.

Thanks for the great feedback! Please note that the Lexus certified preowned vehicles only offer a 40,000km powertrain warranty at an extra cost. I still have the balance of the factory powertrain warranty for another two years.
Old 04-23-24, 02:00 PM
Sickboy101
7th Gear

I just received word from the dealer that the extended warranty is through a third party. The company name is Sym-Tech.

Has anyone had any experience with this company?
Old 04-23-24, 02:51 PM
LexMan2003
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Is this their address: 500 - 165 Commerce Valley Dr W

Thornhill, ON L3T 7V8

If so, they have an A+ rating with the BBB. That's a good sign!
Old 04-23-24, 03:28 PM
Sickboy101
7th Gear

Originally Posted by LexMan2003
Is this their address: 500 - 165 Commerce Valley Dr W

Thornhill, ON L3T 7V8

If so, they have an A+ rating with the BBB. That's a good sign!

That’s the company and I agree that’s a great BBB rating. Unfortunately they only have 3.3 star google reviews.

I really appreciate the input.
Old 04-30-24, 08:31 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 769 Likes on 479 Posts
Arrow

Pass on the warranty but that's me... Do the normal maintenance.

When I bought my RCF ($82k msrp) they tried selling me the extended warranty. I declined on the simple fact that I not only won't put enough milage on it, but the sheer time frame will not cover anything with how the car is being used.. For as little as I drive some of my cars it doesn't seem worth it at all. Instead save that $3k and use it when something happens, you'll still come out ahead.

5k miles a year is not a lot. I would suspect trouble free for many years... heck at 50k miles, is the car really even that used considering most Lexus models easily see hundreds of thousands of miles...etc.
It is a Toyota. One of our Toyota's is approaching the 300k mile mark... Maintenance and normal replicable items is common.

I will note my CT that I bought a year or so ago came certified... As much as I'd love to believe the certified hype I found several things wrong and broken that obviously were missed... if it makes you feel better get certified but otherwise to me it's just another thing to waste money on. Only good thing is that it came with prepaid maintenance, but the annoying thing is that I'm not trusting the dealer to do work that I can easily do. This last go around will be the last time I ever take the car (Free or not) to get serviced. They end up doing more damage in the end. IE: My wheels got scratched because they dismounted tires for some reason (then probably figured out it was the wrong car)...etc.

-Nigel
Old 04-30-24, 10:25 AM
Sickboy101
7th Gear

Originally Posted by nigel821
Pass on the warranty but that's me... Do the normal maintenance.

When I bought my RCF ($82k msrp) they tried selling me the extended warranty. I declined on the simple fact that I not only won't put enough milage on it, but the sheer time frame will not cover anything with how the car is being used.. For as little as I drive some of my cars it doesn't seem worth it at all. Instead save that $3k and use it when something happens, you'll still come out ahead.

5k miles a year is not a lot. I would suspect trouble free for many years... heck at 50k miles, is the car really even that used considering most Lexus models easily see hundreds of thousands of miles...etc.
It is a Toyota. One of our Toyota's is approaching the 300k mile mark... Maintenance and normal replicable items is common.

I will note my CT that I bought a year or so ago came certified... As much as I'd love to believe the certified hype I found several things wrong and broken that obviously were missed... if it makes you feel better get certified but otherwise to me it's just another thing to waste money on. Only good thing is that it came with prepaid maintenance, but the annoying thing is that I'm not trusting the dealer to do work that I can easily do. This last go around will be the last time I ever take the car (Free or not) to get serviced. They end up doing more damage in the end. IE: My wheels got scratched because they dismounted tires for some reason (then probably figured out it was the wrong car)...etc.

-Nigel
Hey Nigel,

Thanks so much for the thoughtful response. We picked up the car this past weekend and my wife is over the moon.

I ended up opting for a 3 year / 40,000km bumper to bumper extended warranty. It ended up costing me $2500 CAN or $1800 USD. With this being my wife’s car it put her mind at ease. I also own a 2019 Mazda CX-9 GT and its warranty is coming to an end in Jan 2025. It has very low mileage and I’m the original owner. I feel the extra money for the Lexus was well worth it as I only have to deal with the Mazda should something go wrong.This is my first time purchasing a 3rd party warranty so we’ll see how things go should I need to make a claim.

Last edited by Sickboy101; 04-30-24 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-30-24, 10:31 AM
Sickboy101
7th Gear