NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Dead 12 volt battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-24, 09:07 AM
GaryGlick
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead 12 volt battery

I have a NX450H+ and the 12 volt battery goes dead alot. What amps on a portable charge do I need to get it going again?
Old 04-24-24, 11:15 AM
GaryGlick
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I understand correctly the NOCO 10 portable charger at 10 amps is not powerful enough. I do get the electronics, doors, windows and back hatch only by jumping it with another 12 volt car. I do have to let it charge for 45 minutes before I can do anything. I am connecting it to the positive post in the fuse box and fastener for ground anywhere in the engine compartment.
Old 04-30-24, 07:18 AM
Lexura16
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If the 12Volt battery " is dead a lot " and by dead you mean not enough voltage to crank and start engine ?
Check the following :
1. Is the vehicle being operated frequently like 1-3 times per week or only 1 time every 2-3 weeks and all very short trips which will not allow battery to be recharged fully. Today's electronics in cars draws voltage continuously while sitting inactive. If you schedule(s) is9are) such, I'll recommend hooking up a battery charger/maintainer to combat this drawdown and keep battery at adequate voltage ( 12.6 volts min.) for engine starts.
2. How old is the battery ? Battery life is typically from 5-8 years.
3. Check w/multimeter for parasitic draw when the engine is shut off after use e.g. from lights left on in glove compartment, trunk area, under hood and non-OEM accessories.
Also note that a "fast" battery charger ( 25 amp ) used regularly to quickly charge up a "dead" battery is detrimental to battery life longevity. The 10 amp charger is the right one to use here. It should show a high charging rate at initial hook up to "dead" battery and quickly slow down ( we are talking within minutes here i.e.1-2 ) to 4 and below 2 amps for the rest of the charging period.
Other viewers to this thread may have more suggestions. Good luck.
Old 05-01-24, 05:06 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Why not just leave the NOCO charger on the car, it is a battery maintainer and will not do any harm to the car,
Old 05-01-24, 01:06 PM
Lexura16
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto The G Man nor will it harm your present near dead battery.

Another thought just occurred to me. After each charge up for the battery to start engine, are all the trips of short duration, like 5-10 kms , then back home. When you want to use the car the next time the battery is again near dead ( not enough juice to start engine ) and required another 45min? charge up. If this scenario fits, then check alternator health i.e. that its charging battery when engine is running. Touch the leads of your multimeter ( if u don't own one, then beg, borrow or ste.... from friend/enemy and with multimeter on 20 +DC volts scale ) across battery's Pos. & Neg. posts and with engine running. Reading on Multimeter should be at 14.5 volts or a little higher. This is an indicator that the alternator is in good condition and charging the battery. If reading is same or little lower than voltage prior to starting engine i.e. 12.6 Volts or thereabouts, then alternator is toast or connections to battery loose/corroded. First clean connections and repeat exercise. I'm not sure if Battery lite will come on in dash to indicate a problem w/alternator.
Note: after engine start, a car can move about normally using just its battery's reserves until its depleted to the point where it cannot sustain ignition.