NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Worst vehicle ever bought NX 300 FSport3 Made in Japan

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-24, 11:51 AM
Fujinator
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Worst vehicle ever bought NX 300 FSport3 Made in Japan

Approaching the end of my basic warranty with so many issues since new that I am trading it in and NOT buying another Lexus. From purchase price including extras, I lost $41,000 in just under 4 years and 29,000 kilometres or 18,000 miles (retired so I do not drive a lot) of driving. Very disappointed because I treated myself to this Lexus after owning 5 basic Toyotas over the past 38 years and expected much better than what I got. To top off my vehicle quality issues, the level of service from 2 Toronto dealerships were terrible to the point that the level of service from both dealerships was the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life and I’m including all businesses/interactions, not just automotive. Another dealership bordering Toronto I would not classify as terrible from one interaction but they failed to replace a faulty part saying it was OK but not great so I then went to Whitby, Ontario where Lexus of Lakeridge did the same test and replaced the part. I kept driving 3 cities away to go to Lexus of Lakeridge, a phenomenal dealership!

ISSUES:
1) rear defroster timer was broken first time I used it in the fall of 2020 (bought end of June 2020) and replaced
2) very loud spring creaking noise for about 4 seconds when going over those smooth speed bumps or any other time where the front suspension is being compressed (like those gradually raised driveways leading out of some parking lots, etc.). People nearby would look, that’s how loud it was. Sounded like jumping up and down on a very old spring mattress. Stabiles bar bushing replaced and issue occurs again about every 18 months after replacement
3) lift gate supports (struts) get an extremely loud noise while opening. They were replaced and occurring again. So it occurs about every 18 month to 22 months after replacement.
4) large inner black trim along bottom of drivers front and passenger front doors had tabs broken since new so trim was not securely in place. Both replaced after an ordeal.
5) no less than 11 different trim rattle noise in cabin area still to this day. Some rattles are almost constant if not driving on new smooth roads
6) front passenger seat back clunks on roads that are not perfectly smooth. Pressing firmly on seat back stops sound or having someone sitting there. Too much play at hinge area.

Last edited by Fujinator; 05-22-24 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-24-24, 07:29 AM
gkomo
Driver School Candidate

I mean the whole dealership side of your complaint I feel like is normal. I feel like 99.9% of people complain about ANY car manufacturer dealerships (overpriced, poor customer service, etc). I don’t deal with dealerships at all except to buy OEM parts from a local dealership who actually has decent online parts pricing.

for the mechanical side of your complaint, I think some of those things can be attributed to the said poor dealership quality you’ve been experiencing. No car will be perfect, maybe you’ve experienced a little more issues than what a normal Lexus owner has, but I think everyone could agree, generally, Lexus is a great car. For example I have a 2015 nx300h and have literally not had a single issue with it besides the rear hatch paint clear coat going (literally in the shop getting the rear hatch repainted as I type this). But that’s it.
Old 05-24-24, 08:06 AM
Fujinator
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gkomo
I mean the whole dealership side of your complaint I feel like is normal. I feel like 99.9% of people complain about ANY car manufacturer dealerships (overpriced, poor customer service, etc). I don’t deal with dealerships at all except to buy OEM parts from a local dealership who actually has decent online parts pricing.

for the mechanical side of your complaint, I think some of those things can be attributed to the said poor dealership quality you’ve been experiencing. No car will be perfect, maybe you’ve experienced a little more issues than what a normal Lexus owner has, but I think everyone could agree, generally, Lexus is a great car. For example I have a 2015 nx300h and have literally not had a single issue with it besides the rear hatch paint clear coat going (literally in the shop getting the rear hatch repainted as I type this). But that’s it.

I think if I were to list my pre-purchase, purchase/delivery day and immediate post delivery behaviours of the people I interacted with at this dealership, you and others would be very very shocked. Also considering I was so nice to them over and over again. I’m 60 years old and am very patient and was patient at these dealerships mainly because I do not want to argue or yell but give multiple chances which I should not have to do. I then just went on to try other dealerships (2nd dealership service advisor’s behaviour was also appalling) and the 4th dealership I tried 3 cities away was/is amazing in their behaviour but sadly most issues still remain.

All my previous vehicle purchases and post purchase service at Toyota dealerships have been stellar until I bought my first and only Lexus. Regarding another dealership I tried for service, you would also be appalled by the dealership (service advisor’s) actions.

Regarding my issues with quality of this vehicle. Almost all issues have not been rectified and I am 1 month away from the comprehensive warranty running out. When learning of the cost of the parts currently being replaced every 14 months or so, I simply cannot accept that I will have to pay that every 14 months for two separate issues due to an obvious issue. Also listening to all these squeaks and rattles while driving and over the radio volume is another thing I cannot do. I have been listening to these noises almost 4 years now. I feel trying 4 dealerships is more than what I should have needed to do.
Old 05-24-24, 11:20 AM
gkomo
Driver School Candidate

ISSUES:
1) rear defroster timer was broken first time I used it in the fall of 2020 (bought end of June 2020) and replaced (hopefully this was a one time deal and is fixed)
2) very loud spring creaking noise for about 4 seconds when going over those smooth speed bumps or any other time where the front suspension is being compressed (like those gradually raised driveways leading out of some parking lots, etc.). People nearby would look, that’s how loud it was. Sounded like jumping up and down on a very old spring mattress. Stabiles bar bushing replaced and issue occurs again about every 18 months after replacement (go in again and have it documented. Even if your warranty expires soon if its documented and not fixed they may still be on the hook for fixing it even after your official warranty expiration date. i wonder if these bushings are servicable (i.e. greasable))
3) lift gate supports (struts) get an extremely loud noise while opening. They were replaced and occurring again. So it occurs about every 18 month to 22 months after replacement. (i will say, my passenger side lift gate support is failing, half the time i have to manually open/close the rear hatch and i have heard this is a somewhat common issue, so i'll chalk this up to Lexus)
4) large inner black trim along bottom of drivers front and passenger front doors had tabs broken since new so trim was not securely in place. Both replaced after an ordeal. (hopefully this is fixed for good)
5) no less than 11 different trim rattle noise in cabin area still to this day. Some rattles are almost constant if not driving on new smooth roads (unfortunately, most rattles are subjective, what you consider a rattle someone else might think is normal - this one could be tough to identify/rectify)
6) front passenger seat back clunks on roads that are not perfectly smooth. Pressing firmly on seat back stops sound or having someone sitting there. Too much play at hinge area. (i would take this in under warranty and try to get a new seat, should be no 'play' in the seat, could even argue it as a safety hazard)
Old 05-24-24, 11:46 AM
Fujinator
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gkomo
ISSUES:
1) rear defroster timer was broken first time I used it in the fall of 2020 (bought end of June 2020) and replaced (hopefully this was a one time deal and is fixed)
2) very loud spring creaking noise for about 4 seconds when going over those smooth speed bumps or any other time where the front suspension is being compressed (like those gradually raised driveways leading out of some parking lots, etc.). People nearby would look, that’s how loud it was. Sounded like jumping up and down on a very old spring mattress. Stabiles bar bushing replaced and issue occurs again about every 18 months after replacement (go in again and have it documented. Even if your warranty expires soon if its documented and not fixed they may still be on the hook for fixing it even after your official warranty expiration date. i wonder if these bushings are servicable (i.e. greasable))
3) lift gate supports (struts) get an extremely loud noise while opening. They were replaced and occurring again. So it occurs about every 18 month to 22 months after replacement. (i will say, my passenger side lift gate support is failing, half the time i have to manually open/close the rear hatch and i have heard this is a somewhat common issue, so i'll chalk this up to Lexus)
4) large inner black trim along bottom of drivers front and passenger front doors had tabs broken since new so trim was not securely in place. Both replaced after an ordeal. (hopefully this is fixed for good)
5) no less than 11 different trim rattle noise in cabin area still to this day. Some rattles are almost constant if not driving on new smooth roads (unfortunately, most rattles are subjective, what you consider a rattle someone else might think is normal - this one could be tough to identify/rectify)
6) front passenger seat back clunks on roads that are not perfectly smooth. Pressing firmly on seat back stops sound or having someone sitting there. Too much play at hinge area. (i would take this in under warranty and try to get a new seat, should be no 'play' in the seat, could even argue it as a safety hazard)
I appreciate your input. I just couldn’t feel comfortable owning this vehicle after the warranty expires given the issues and whatever may occur in the future given the history of this particular vehicle. So I will be trading it in at a huge loss for a Toyota. We now as a family have had 8 Toyotas (3 current Rav4s) and even my three 18 year old Corollas haven’t had the issues over the whole span of 18 years as this Lexus has had in less than 4 years.
The following users liked this post:
gkomo (05-24-24)
Old 06-03-24, 08:22 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Guess, you just got unlucky. I have a 2016 and my buddy has a 2015, none of the issues that your car exhibited. Here in Chicago at least we have at minimum 3 great Lexus dealerships that always go above and beyond. Sucks that you had problems I got this car specifically to avoid what your experiencing!
The following users liked this post:
GlenK (06-04-24)
Old 06-04-24, 02:33 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

See my post ‘disappointing’.

My 2015 200t in for its second rear main seal replacement in 4 years.

The first one was replaced under ‘goodwill’ the second is almost $4000Aus all up. Worst of all its been in the dealer for 2 weeks because parts unavailable.

I have found that the dealership experience is not what it used to be. Being going there for 15 years. The senior service manager is still great but the ‘ethos’ of the dealership is much more profit focussed than client focus.

Servicing has become European car levels of expense.

Alot of nickel and diming; fuel flush sir. wheel alignment sir (done 3 weeks before by the dealer). The calls are not from the service dept but a sales rep. Reminds me of the Toyota dealership I used to attend.

I’ve always bought Lexus considering them good cars not great but great servicing and support. I think the Euros have caught up. Cheaper to purchase an equivalent BMW with a 5 year warranty and upfront service pack and turn it over in 5 years.