Official Lexus NX thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-13, 01:42 PM
gaylonw
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Rav 4 Platform??

Originally Posted by TorontoIS
It is certainly quite different from the RAV4 and I don't think anyone would accuse it of looking just like the RAV4.
It is a RAV 4 Platform though, correct?….gm
Old 11-28-13, 03:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
haha. the veloster was derivative? the soul? the sonata was radical when introduced. even if you dislike all those, they weren't derivative.
a lot of veloster (things that work) is blatant copy of Renault Megane Coupe, down to the alloy wheels which looked exactly the same.
Old 11-28-13, 05:30 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that I think about it. This is brilliant. Even though I don't really like the way the concept exterior look. But I like the new platform.

It fit right in the middle of SUV CUV Sport Coupe.

I have been wanting something that handle like a coupe, high seat position like an Rx, I hate all the truck glaring it lights into my face. I also like the power, after market friendly. More rear room to haul stuff.

Mercedes is doing just this. They have a new CUV AMG. But that is too expensive

I think LF NX will sell very well...if the exterior look as sleek and as great as the present RX. Husband will get an even better approval rate from the wife.

Looking forward to this
Old 01-04-14, 09:33 AM
Aptosuser
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This crossover has crossed over from concept to a real car coming to dealerships near us this summer, per this story that I originally posted in the wrong forum. I've been following its development since last summer, when I started thinking seriously about a replacement for my 2007 V6, 4WD RAV4 Limited that would deliver the fuel economy and a ride comparable to our 2012 Camry XLE hybrid. My first reaction to this vehicle, in concept, was that it was butt-ugly. But I was eager to know what was under the skin. The story referenced here said the NX crossover is based on the RAV4 and will have the Camry hybrid's power plant/fuel economy. My wife has averaged better than 41 mpg over 25,000 miles in the XLE since we bought it in June '12.

But the RAV4 is essentially a small truck. My understanding is that it's based on the Toyota Tacoma pickup. The RAV4 rides like a truck and it was the ride more than the RAV's relative lack of fuel economy (about 20-21 mpg in town; I did consistently get 27-28 on the road) that drove my search of a replacement vehicle. So I was looking forward to getting my hands on this new Lexus "crossover." I figured it would probably be based on the Camry frame, and I loved the ride in the Camry.

But then I happened on this barely used, certified 2010 RX 450h with less than 15,000 miles on it. "Like new" as they say. I loved the way it drove; I loved the room and the wonderful seats, etc. and it was just too good a deal to pass up. I'll never get the mileage that the coming NX crossover promises to deliver, but oh what a nice ride.

If reports that the NX crossover will be a hybridized, Lexufied RAV4 are true, can we expect it to ride any better than a RAV4? They can call it a "crossover" but it'll still be a small truck. Maybe the extra weight from the battery will help. Maybe not.

By the way, I'd read that Toyota had engineered the newest RAV4 to ride better than the previous "gen. 3" model. Out of curiosity, I rented one for a day while mine was in for 45-k service. It didn't ride better. And I didn't like the noisy, 4-banger engine either.
Old 01-04-14, 10:54 AM
LexFather

you can fool some of the people all of the time.
Pretty offensive to 2014+ GX owners.
Old 01-04-14, 12:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Pretty offensive to 2014+ GX owners.
conveniently leaving out that my comment was in response to hoovey already saying a lot of people are fooled. but thanks for the sniper round anyway.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It's true we've had a lot of interest in the refreshed GX. The Spindle is fooling a lot of people thinking it's a new car
of course, acura and honda owners should never be offended by your endless screeds.
Old 01-04-14, 12:19 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

I think the NX crossover takes the Lexus redesign to unnecessary extremes. It also looks cramped. I read earlier that the center console would run the length of the passenger compartment, which would make it a four-passenger car. If that turns out to be the case, a lot of prospective buyers might not like it. I know that I wouldn't.
Old 01-04-14, 12:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Aptosuser
This crossover has crossed over from concept to a real car coming to dealerships near us this summer, per this story that I originally posted in the wrong forum. I've been following its development since last summer, when I started thinking seriously about a replacement for my 2007 V6, 4WD RAV4 Limited that would deliver the fuel economy and a ride comparable to our 2012 Camry XLE hybrid. My first reaction to this vehicle, in concept, was that it was butt-ugly. But I was eager to know what was under the skin. The story referenced here said the NX crossover is based on the RAV4 and will have the Camry hybrid's power plant/fuel economy. My wife has averaged better than 41 mpg over 25,000 miles in the XLE since we bought it in June '12.

But the RAV4 is essentially a small truck. My understanding is that it's based on the Toyota Tacoma pickup. The RAV4 rides like a truck and it was the ride more than the RAV's relative lack of fuel economy (about 20-21 mpg in town; I did consistently get 27-28 on the road) that drove my search of a replacement vehicle. So I was looking forward to getting my hands on this new Lexus "crossover." I figured it would probably be based on the Camry frame, and I loved the ride in the Camry.

But then I happened on this barely used, certified 2010 RX 450h with less than 15,000 miles on it. "Like new" as they say. I loved the way it drove; I loved the room and the wonderful seats, etc. and it was just too good a deal to pass up. I'll never get the mileage that the coming NX crossover promises to deliver, but oh what a nice ride.

If reports that the NX crossover will be a hybridized, Lexufied RAV4 are true, can we expect it to ride any better than a RAV4? They can call it a "crossover" but it'll still be a small truck. Maybe the extra weight from the battery will help. Maybe not.

By the way, I'd read that Toyota had engineered the newest RAV4 to ride better than the previous "gen. 3" model. Out of curiosity, I rented one for a day while mine was in for 45-k service. It didn't ride better. And I didn't like the noisy, 4-banger engine either.
Rav4 is not based on Tacoma at all, it is car based SUV - a crossover.

NX and Rav4 are likely developed together, but might drive/ride differently.

RX450h seems like much better car for you as it is comfy and luxurious, something that NX will probably not reach as it will go for fun and sporty (and cheaper).
Old 01-04-14, 12:28 PM
LexFather

conveniently leaving out that my comment was in response to hoovey already saying a lot of people are fooled. but thanks for the sniper round anyway.

of course, acura and honda owners should never be offended by your endless screeds.
Maybe some of you should realize that people here do buy the new Lexus models and gasp, actually like them.
Old 01-04-14, 12:34 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

coming to dealerships near us this summer Last I read it wasn't to be out til late fall, of course mid 2014 is rather nebulous

But the RAV4 is essentially a small truck. My understanding is that it's based on the Toyota Tacoma pickup. It's based on the Corolla platform. It's a station wagon on stilts basically.

So I was looking forward to getting my hands on this new Lexus "crossover." I figured it would probably be based on the Camry frame, and I loved the ride in the Camry. The 3rd gen RX is based on the Camry platform. The next gen RX is supposed to be a little larger to allow the NX to slot in between the RX and Rav4. So the NX and RX may be on new platforms?

They can call it a "crossover" but it'll still be a small truck. Very confusing definitions. A crossover is based on car platform which has a unibody platform. A light truck is a body on frame platform. Your RAV4 may ride like a truck because of the short wheelbase and 4wd but it's not a truck by definition. A crossover is designed to stay on the pavement and be a suburban driver.
Old 01-04-14, 01:09 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

OK, I stand corrected. The RAV4 is built on a car frame. Somewhere I read that it was built on a the Tacoma truck frame. Anyway, fish or fowl, my RAV4's ride was a bit too harsh and "noisy" for my wife and me. I did love the power and smoothness -- when driven correctly -- of the V6 engine. I don't think Toyota should have dropped that option. I gave my RAV4 to one of my daughters who was driving a '99 Nissan Frontier pickup. That's a big step up for her and she's enjoying the car.

When I got the RAV4 in April '07, I was looking forward to using it as my "ski car" in the winter. But on my first trip "to the snow" at S. Lake Tahoe in early Jan. '08, I fell on ice in the evening after a pleasant day of skiing at Heavenly (powder!), fracturing my right hip socket in multiple places and that was the end of that. Consequently, I drove it a lot less than I expected to and the car didn't even have 50k miles on it when I passed it on to my daughter. It had a couple of small dings (my bads), but other than that it was in tip-top condition.
Old 01-28-14, 02:10 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks like it just got leaked. Looks good.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/28/p...-presentation/
Old 01-28-14, 03:06 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Looks like it just got leaked. Looks good.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/28/p...-presentation/
Looks good but wish it was closer to the concept, of course. The F-sport should KILL IT!
Old 01-28-14, 03:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Not bad for a Lexus cute-ute
Old 01-28-14, 03:47 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now only if it has 300+ HP and is priced Sub 40k....

Quick Reply: Official Lexus NX thread