NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Official Lexus NX thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-14, 07:50 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I cant understand why there is no SUV based on the IS/GS platform.

Anyone have an answer???
BMW and MB all have SUVs derived from RWD platfotms.
Cant be that hard...
Old 01-31-14, 08:13 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Anyone have an answer???
Cant be that hard...
Because lexus doesn't need one, it would cross compete with Rx.

The Rx sells loads better than its competition, if its not broken dont fix it.
Old 01-31-14, 08:44 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

^
You make no sense. The NX is smaller than the RX and could be based on the IS instead of a cheap FWD platform.

Also RX will be changing for next generation anyway....
It will perform 100 x better if it was built off the GS rather than a Camry.
Old 01-31-14, 08:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

^
You make no sense. The NX is smaller than the RX and could be based on the IS instead of a cheap FWD platform.

NX will be cheaper than GS by $10k at least... so it cant be built on same platform. RWD based also means less space, these are more of family SUVs than sport wagons.

GS SUV would be more expensive than RX, so maybe thats what they will build?
Old 01-31-14, 09:04 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cunnin61
Actually, the Rav4 is based on the Corolla platform.
Incorrect.

The Matrix is the only vehicle sharing the Corolla platform. Maybe the Scion xD as well, but I'm not sure about that.
Old 01-31-14, 09:05 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
NX will be cheaper than GS by $10k at least... so it cant be built on same platform. RWD based also means less space, these are more of family SUVs than sport wagons.

GS SUV would be more expensive than RX, so maybe thats what they will build?
X5 and MB ML have plenty of space last time i checked.
Old 01-31-14, 09:07 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Anyone have an answer???
Cant be that hard...
The answer is simply cost.

A RWD SUV would not be as cost effective nor functional as a FWD/AWD CUV. Also, the Rav4 has been engineered for over a decade with proven reliability and functionality, and a new low-volume RWD SUV platform based on the IS/GS would be very expensive.

BMW and MB have no other way to develop their platforms because they build with what they've got, which are RWD-derived platforms. Lexus saves costs by building what Toyota has built through their higher volume non-luxury SUVs such as the Rav4 (for the NX), Highlander (for the RX), Sequoia/4Runner (for the GX), and the Land Cruiser (for the LX).
Old 01-31-14, 09:29 AM
LexFather

^

Maybe you don't make sense before you tell someone else that? The RX CREATED the car based class, I don't see you posting why the Germans didn't do it first. Instead you are beating up the most successful luxury SUV for being FWD and AWD? Makes no sense, its a success, people obviously don't care.

And its not like a RWD SUV means sporty as the last X3 was considered a furd by all reviewers and all these cute utes are not known for handling at all, just for being raised trendy SUVs.

Do you think a RX based off the GS is going to start at the same price? It won't, the price will go up significantly and packaging is totally different. If they want to ADD a GS based SUV, then that is an avenue to explore.
Old 01-31-14, 09:34 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The answer is simply cost.

A RWD SUV would not be as cost effective nor functional as a FWD/AWD CUV. Also, the Rav4 has been engineered for over a decade with proven reliability and functionality, and a new low-volume RWD SUV platform based on the IS/GS would be very expensive.

BMW and MB have no other way to develop their platforms because they build with what they've got, which are RWD-derived platforms. Lexus saves costs by building what Toyota has built through their higher volume non-luxury SUVs such as the Rav4 (for the NX), Highlander (for the RX), Sequoia/4Runner (for the GX), and the Land Cruiser (for the LX).
+1 on cost, MB is making a new cute ute called the GLC and its going to be derived of off the fwd, a/cla platform
Old 01-31-14, 09:43 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
A lifted CT? Meh
I thought the same thing. The initial pics look different than the later though
Old 01-31-14, 09:49 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexFather
Maybe you don't make sense before you tell someone else that? The RX CREATED the car based class, I don't see you posting why the Germans didn't do it first. Instead you are beating up the most successful luxury SUV for being FWD and AWD? Makes no sense, its a success, people obviously don't care.

And its not like a RWD SUV means sporty as the last X3 was considered a furd by all reviewers and all these cute utes are not known for handling at all, just for being raised trendy SUVs.

Do you think a RX based off the GS is going to start at the same price? It won't, the price will go up significantly and packaging is totally different. If they want to ADD a GS based SUV, then that is an avenue to explore.
Lol - keep making excuses.

RX has gone up in pricing over the years anyway.

Dont you agree that the IS/GS chassis is superior to Camry platform used now???
I want Lexus to get away completely from Toyota.
Old 01-31-14, 10:23 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

RX has gone up in pricing over the years anyway.
Not one car company is immune to inflation. All cars have gone up in value. I don't think the RX has increased significantly compared to its competitors.

Dont you agree that the IS/GS chassis is superior to Camry platform used now???
The previous and current Rav4 platform are unique. The first gen Rav4 was Camry based. The second and current generations are unique; it doesn't share it's platform with any other car. Well, now it will with the NX.

Is the IS/GS chassis superior? For a RWD sedan, yes. For a FWD/AWD CUV, no. Well, superior in performance, but not ride quality nor functionality.

I want Lexus to get away completely from Toyota.
As far as Lexus to get completely away from Toyota, that's almost impossible. Even Lambo and Bentley share chassis and technology with Audi. Same thing with Rolls Royce and BMW; Ferrari with Fiat.

There is no viability to "get away completely" for a luxury automaker from it's mass produced brethren. They simply cannot be profitable, much alone survive. If you want Lexus to be as independent as an Aston Martin or Bugatti, be prepared for Aston Martin and Bugatti prices...
Old 01-31-14, 10:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I thought the same thing. The initial pics look different than the later though
i think they might also get lifted CT? It seems so different than NX, not sure what could they be testing on CT platform. Lifted CT would be exactly like GLA.
Old 01-31-14, 10:48 AM
LexFather

^

Not one car company is immune to inflation. All cars have gone up in value. I don't think the RX has increased significantly compared to its competitors.

The previous and current Rav4 platform are unique. The first gen Rav4 was Camry based. The second and current generations are unique; it doesn't share it's platform with any other car. Well, now it will with the NX.

Is the IS/GS chassis superior? For a RWD sedan, yes. For a FWD/AWD CUV, no. Well, superior in performance, but not ride quality nor functionality.

As far as Lexus to get completely away from Toyota, that's almost impossible. Even Lambo and Bentley share chassis and technology with Audi. Same thing with Rolls Royce and BMW; Ferrari with Fiat.

There is no viability to "get away completely" for a luxury automaker from it's mass produced brethren. They simply cannot be profitable, much alone survive. If you want Lexus to be as independent as an Aston Martin or Bugatti, be prepared for Aston Martin and Bugatti prices...
Beautifully stated
Old 01-31-14, 11:27 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Obviously certain parts should be shared for cost savings.
To me VW/Audi/Porsche do a much better job than Toyota/Lexus. Yes both share parts and R&D costs but the end products are true to each brand and what they are striving for. Also Lexus AWD systems are not that great compared to Quattro systems.

Im not being negative on the RX - its an average SUV that meets the need of 90% of potential clients and in turn is a cash cow for Lexus.

To me its disappointing not to have a CUV/SUV based on a great chassis of the IS/GS. It should be same $$$$ as the X5 for BMW. That would be a GREAT SUV in performance unlike the current RX.

Quick Reply: Official Lexus NX thread