NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Official Lexus NX thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-14, 07:35 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What seems to be missing in all this discussion about flush roof rails, sun glass holders (or lack thereof). wireless charging and other gadgetry is consideration of the NX's most important specs which are IMHO hp and mpg. Here they are. Per this story out of Beijing, the new Lexus NX will come in two flavors in the USA: a 235 hp inline turbo 4-cylinder and a 194 combined hp hybrid with a 2.5L ICE -- same drive train as in the 2012-and-on Camry hybrids, but with 6 less hp. (Why less? I don't know.) Lexus estimates that the hybrid will get 34-36 combined mpg, which isn't a huge improvement over what we're currently getting in our 2010 RX 450h (around 29 mpg combined since my wife started driving it more than I), and significantly less than the 40-41 mpg my better half averages in the Camry. As for how the NX will ride compared to the RX or even a RAV4 from which it gets some components, that remains to be seen.
Old 04-20-14, 08:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by wildeklave
I was looking at the Acura RDX the past year but a very upset with Acura not making any simple updates to the RDX (adding LED DRLs, BLIS, Collision warning, etc...). I like the sporty look of the NX and believe that the rumored price will start around $32.5k in the US. The torque is similar in both vehicles but the Acura does have a higher horsepower.

The Fuel economy should be better than the 18/25 in the current RX. Audi's Q5 and BMW's X3 have similar performance numbers for their engines with a Turbo and both get aound 21/28 in the fuel economy.

I am eagerly awaiting the production versions and the difference in appearance between the regular 200T and the F sport trim. Not a big fan of the grill on the 300H version they showed. I see for the IS 250 that the F Sport is about $1100 more than the middle accessory package (Navigation package) which is not bad. I hope the pricing is similar.

For the IS 250 (per Lexus website):
Backup camera package is $1613
Navigation package is $4912
F Sport package is $6042

Assuming the packages are similarly priced:
Base 200T - $32500 (rumored)
AWD - $2500
F Sport package - $6042
other random accessories - $1500 (could be a hitch or remote starter or other things)
delivery fees - $910
Total MSRP = $43452 (not incl tax and title)

Pricing is similar to the BMW X1. A fully loaded 4 cylinder turbo engine X1 has an MSRP of just under $45k
at one point you will realize that NX will not be priced as CT200h. Rumored price is 35-36k for base. It is also X3 competitor, not X1. Personally, i believe fully loaded with precrash, nav, etc, will be close to 50k
Old 04-20-14, 08:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aptosuser
What seems to be missing in all this discussion about flush roof rails, sun glass holders (or lack thereof). wireless charging and other gadgetry is consideration of the NX's most important specs which are IMHO hp and mpg. Here they are. Per this story out of Beijing, the new Lexus NX will come in two flavors in the USA: a 235 hp inline turbo 4-cylinder and a 194 combined hp hybrid with a 2.5L ICE -- same drive train as in the 2012-and-on Camry hybrids, but with 6 less hp. (Why less? I don't know.) Lexus estimates that the hybrid will get 34-36 combined mpg, which isn't a huge improvement over what we're currently getting in our 2010 RX 450h (around 29 mpg combined since my wife started driving it more than I), and significantly less than the 40-41 mpg my better half averages in the Camry. As for how the NX will ride compared to the RX or even a RAV4 from which it gets some components, that remains to be seen.
all the info was posted in the thread.... mpg is unknown but 34-36 seems reasonable. Camry is 39 with larger wheels... Suv has worse aero and higher weight, so quite reasonable to get 2-3 mpg less.

as to the ride, i doubt it will be as comfy as rx... lots of new suspension tech there, you can find more info in lexus pr's
Old 04-20-14, 08:53 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

^^ RX isn't even that comfy. Its actually quite stiff.

looks like they did a lot of the initial testing in the rav4 body from the vids
Old 04-20-14, 09:08 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know if this has been posted yet.

Old 04-20-14, 09:10 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
There were a few pics in this thread that showed sport+, which I would assume refers to adaptive suspension settings. It must have been from an Asian or European press release then.
Yeah, I'm skeptical AVS will NOT make it to N. America. If you look at the specs taken at the NY autoshow, the F-sport "features" section has no mention of AVS.

Second, not sure how to interpret whether or not the interior on the F-Sport will only come in Rioja Red (Dark Rose) interior?
Attached Thumbnails Official Lexus NX thread-nxtf_specs.jpg  
Old 04-20-14, 09:16 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Just to add on, is it just me or does anyone else want to see an NX-F (just like the IS-F)?
Old 04-20-14, 09:29 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by dat dude
Just to add on, is it just me or does anyone else want to see an NX-F (just like the IS-F)?
Would be nice, but wishful thinking
Old 04-20-14, 09:32 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Would be nice, but wishful thinking
You are right, Lexus is a little too conservative to do that.
Old 04-20-14, 11:17 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dat dude
You are right, Lexus is a little too conservative to do that.
Seriously how can you say that now that Lexus has the new RC coupe, a RC-F, a GS-F being tested, probably an IS-F and an almost complete line up of F-sport cars. I can totally see an NX-F coming along in the future, since it seems to be the RX's sporty little brother.
Old 04-21-14, 02:21 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Amidst all this new information and discussion, has it occurred to anyone that the NX is Lexus' first completely new car of the current Akio Toyoda reformation era?

The new IS(3rd gen) and GS (4th gen) debuted with completely new chassis but carryover powertrains/engines
Similarly for the RC350, RC300h and RC-F ( 5L engine in RC-F is a heavily modified IS-F engine)
LS(4th Gen) just had an extensive refresh last year under Mr Toyoda's watch but no new generation as yet.

So the significance of the NX , being that both chassis and powertrains are completely new and developed ground-up under Akio's regime, is that it serves as a bellwether to Lexus' future direction in terms of design, engine performance, utility, luxury and handling.
I was thinking the same thing, then concluded the long-rumored 2.0T just happened to be ready at a time when the NX would be ready. This new engine could have been for the new IS or RC, but wasn't ready when those cars debuted. So rather than think the new NX is everything fresh and new, I'm thinking it is more of the vehicle that just happened to come along when a new engine was ready. Just a hunch though.
Old 04-21-14, 04:01 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb AutoNews

Lexus unveiled the production version of the Lexus NX compact crossover at the Beijing auto show Sunday, offering a U.S. sales forecast of 2,200 units a month.

For the U.S. market, Lexus will offer a choice of a 235 hp, 2.0-liter turbocharged inline-four, or a 194 hp, 4-cylinder hybrid. The turbo engine is mated to a 6-speed automatic.

The hybrid system is basically the same as used in the ES 300h, though the all-wheel-drive version gets a rear-motor layout similar to that of the RX. The battery is nickel-metal hydride.

Although Lexus didn't give official fuel economy estimates for the hybrid, a source said it should get in the 34-36 mpg range in combined driving cycle.

The turbo drivetrain likely will account for up to 85% of U.S. sales, Lexus International Executive Vice President Mark Templin predicted. "In the U.S., they want fun to drive, a little more power," he said.

Templin said Lexus tuned the turbo to deliver smooth acceleration, rather than jerky power thrusts.

"I think ours is going to be more refined than the rest of them in the market," he said. "Ours is more linear, smoother. Much more luxury-like."

With a 104.7-inch wheelbase and a 182.3-inch overall length, the NX is slightly smaller than the Acura RDX, and slides between the BMW X1 and X3.

The NX is 5.5 inches shorter than the RX. But rear legroom is only 0.4-inch shorter and luggage space surrenders just 0.8 inch from the RX cargo bay, Chief Engineer Takeaki Kato said.

"Packaging was our biggest challenge," Kato said. "But we were able to make the interior much roomier than anticipated."

Both the turbocharged and hybrid models will be offered in front- or all-wheel drive. The NX is derived from the Lexus CT platform with some RAV4 underpinnings and goes on sale this fall.

A non-turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-4 engine will be offered only in China and Russia.

The NX receives new engines as part of a sweeping powertrain overhaul unveiled this month by Toyota Motor Corp. The engine can switch between a lean-burning Atkinson combustion cycle to save fuel and a traditional Otto cycle for more power. Similar tuning will also be deployed in the upcoming Lexus RC coupe.

"Through valve timing, when you want performance, you get Otto cycle," Templin said. "When you want efficiency, you get Atkinson cycle."

The NX will be manufactured at Toyota Motor Corp.'s Lexus assembly plant in Japan's southwestern island of Kyushu.

In an interview at the New York auto show, Lexus Division General Manager Jeff Bracken said he expects Lexus to sell about 2,200 NX units a month in the United States. He added, however, that Lexus' U.S. dealer council has informed him that such an estimate is too conservative.

"From a sizing standpoint, it's basically the same size as the original RX 300," Bracken said. "Nobody has made any analogy to it being an over-sized RAV4."

When Lexus launched the original RX 300 in 1998, it had the same sales estimate. RX demand quickly jumped above six figures a year, and it became Lexus' best selling product.

Templin was bullish on the NX's potential.

"In a lot of markets, it could be our No. 1 seller," Templin said. "Every market wants more."
Old 04-21-14, 04:15 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by GS69
The NX is 5.5 inches shorter than the RX. But rear legroom is only 0.4-inch shorter and luggage space surrenders just 0.8 inch from the RX cargo bay, Chief Engineer Takeaki Kato said.

"Packaging was our biggest challenge," Kato said. "But we were able to make the interior much roomier than anticipated."
Yeah, read this elsewhere as well and was pleasantly surprised since we love our RX for interior space but it's just a tad too long and wide for us at this point.
Old 04-21-14, 05:46 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Yeah, read this elsewhere as well and was pleasantly surprised since we love our RX for interior space but it's just a tad too long and wide for us at this point.
I wonder if the NX will have the same interior dimensions as the RAV4? If they are the same, or very close, one could check out a new gen RAV4 to see how the interior size meets their needs.
Old 04-21-14, 06:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

"Through valve timing, when you want performance, you get Otto cycle," Templin said. "When you want efficiency, you get Atkinson cycle."
Thats cool then... they just release their 1.3l in new Yaris today, which uses same tech and is part of 14 engines they will release by 2015 with this... they managed to get 30% better fuel consumption on already very efficient engine!

So Turbo should be very efficient as well.

I wonder if this will go to their hybrids in the future as well - ability to switch between otto cycle and atkinson electrically means that possibly they could use otto cycle when you go into sports mode.

This would be quite big - imagine Ct200h/Prius getting extra 32hp in sports mode, it would make them a lot quicker... or even Camry/NX - extra 30hp on flick of the switch.

Quick Reply: Official Lexus NX thread