NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Automotive Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-14, 09:08 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

The Wheels review reads like the author has a hidden agenda. I wouldn't give it any credibility.
Ray A.
Old 12-25-14, 10:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by miop4000
The highly respected Australian motoring magazine Wheels, has just published a brutal review of the 300h NX in its car of the year awards.

It reads "the first lively throttle prod results in a charmless CVT drone....inconsistent ESC and numb steering .....wooden brake-pedal action takes us back to the early Bush era". "Throw in an old-school nickel hybrid battery when even the 2012 Prius V switched to Lithium ion...the latest Lexus SUV looks a lot like a GFC victim" " Fuel economy and interior design aside, the NX 300h is off the luxury SUV pace for tech and refinement, feeling like the jumped up RAV 4 it is."

I have purchased 2 cars on this magazine recommendations. Sat in the NX on the weekend and was impressed with interior but didn't't get to drive it. Have booked a drive test for next week. Hope review is wrong as the f-sport 300 h variant I'm looking at is $83000 drive away with metallic paint.

Could be a costly mistake especially If Lexus may soon upgrade to Lithium ion battery.
anyway, lion vs nimh, there is no difference in fuel economy, they are just writing words for the sake of it... Hybrid is "old tech" while none of the competitors even have hybrids, thats funny.

Plenty of other AU car mags liked it, usually Wheels does not like Toyotas.
Old 01-05-15, 09:21 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Found this on my IG feed. Looks so dope I want one
Attached Thumbnails NX Automotive Reviews Thread-image-1828958636.jpg  
Old 01-05-15, 09:24 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Lexus NX is the Japanese brand’s first entrant into the burgeoning field of compact-luxury SUVs. Join KBB’s Zach Vlasuk gives you the inside scoop on this ultra-modern sport-ute.
Old 01-05-15, 11:34 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

^^^ A couple errors in this review.

1. No HUD is available (in the US).
2. Competitors are not Q3, GLA, X1.

Besides that, a good, albeit low-detail review.
Old 01-07-15, 10:18 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 01-07-15, 11:28 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Although many shoppers seem to think the Lexus NX was designed to compete with the BMW X1, Mercedes GLA or Audi Q3, it is in fact a solid X3 / XC60 / GLK / G5 competitor. Where does that leave the Lexus RX? Excellent question. The RX is a half-step larger and slots between the Lincoln MKX and Cadillac SRX in size.

While Land Rover arguably invented the concept of a luxury SUV with their first Range Rover, the 1998 Lexus RX is the vehicle that's had the single biggest impact on the luxury industry. Initially derided by the press as a lifted Camry with delusions of grandeur, calling the RX a run away sales success would be an understatement. Lexus' original crossover now accounts for over a third of the brand's total volume in America and holds the crown as the best selling luxury vehicle on our shores. Trouble is, the RX has grown over time and is now a half-step too big for European tastes. In the hopes of dominating a third of Lexus brand sales in Europe, Lexus engineers went back to the drawing board and created s little brother for the RX: the 2015 Lexus NX.

The right-sized Lexus crossover is, as you'd expect, almost exactly the same size as the Audi Q5, Volvo XC60, BMW X3 and Acura RDX. That puts the NX slightly ahead of the Mercedes GLK, four inches ahead of the 2015 Lincoln MKC and a full foot longer than the Range Rover Evoque. With 6.9 inches of ground clearance the NX should be just as dirt-road capable as the average luxury soft-roader and interestingly Lexus bothers to publish approach and departure angles. In case you're now wondering, approach is 28.7 degrees in 200t and 300h trim and 16.8 deg in the F-Sport because of the flatter front end. Departure remains 24 degrees on all models.

Before you ask, the NX isn't a shrunken RX and it isn't a luxury RAV-4 either. Lexus claims that 90% of the parts are unique to the NX and those that are shared are primarily related to the optional hybrid system. Thanks to the clean sheet design, the NX is the first Lexus that looks comfortable in the new corporate uniform.While other Lexus models (namely the LS) wear the "spindle" grille surprisingly well, other aspects of the new design language haven't translated well to the luxury brand's utility vehicles. The "Nike swoosh" LED daytime running lamp modules that look oddly out-of-place on the IS sedan actually work on the NX and I found myself wondering why. I think the answer can be found in the headlamp module which is much sleeker than in other Lexus models thanks to standard LED low beams. Overall the combination allows for a more balanced front end.

From tip to tail there's no doubt that the NX's design won't be for everyone, but I find that refreshing for a brand long known for design-restraint. I wouldn't exactly call it the looks ground breaking or polarizing, but this is as close as Lexus has even been. Although Lexus is making an NX F Sport Hybrid, Lexus has chosen to not offer the aggressive grille and fuel-sipping engine combo in America.Under the hood beats the first turbo engine Lexus has sold in America: an all-new 2.0L direct-injection turbocharged four-cylinder engine. While the engineers spent most of their time telling members of the press how fantastic their turbo design is, I was more intrigued that this seems to be the first non-hybrid drivetrain that can switch between an Otto and an Atkinson cycle. (Mazda tells me they do not consider the SkyAcitv design an Atkinson cycle.) The technology behind this is a new variable valve timing system that can adjust the intake and exhaust cam timing independently allowing for a late intake valve closure when efficiency rather than torque is required. Also on the trivia list is an air-to-water intercooler instead of a more typical air-to-air unit. The result is 235 horsepower from 4,800-5,600 RPM and 258 lb-ft from 1,650-4,000 RPM.

Rather than borrowing the 8-speed automatic used in the RX 350 F Sport (and the XC60), Lexus chose to refresh an existing 6-speed auto and tweak it for the turbo engine's low-end torque. The engineer I spoke with claimed that the rationale behind the missing gears was that "an 8-speed automatic isn't as much fun with paddle shifters." Make of that what you will.
Old 01-07-15, 11:35 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^ A couple errors in this review.

1. No HUD is available (in the US).
2. Competitors are not Q3, GLA, X1.

Besides that, a good, albeit low-detail review.
Wait...there is no HUD??

Why does my 2012 CHEVROLET have heads up, but Lexus can't pull it off?
Old 01-07-15, 11:47 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Swacer
Wait...there is no HUD??

Why does my 2012 CHEVROLET have heads up, but Lexus can't pull it off?

It isn't that Lexus can't do it, they have it on the Canadian model and on other non NX models in the US. The theory is that they are saving it for a future release for the US, ok at least that is my theory!

phil
Old 01-07-15, 01:50 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ Yes. Pretty much packaging/pricing/marketing factors at play for the US.
Old 01-23-15, 10:58 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

47 minute review

Old 01-26-15, 07:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default Daily News Autos Review

Review: 2015 Lexus NX is brave shot at a new image for Lexus

Lexus is striving to become known for something other than relentlessly pursued reliability. Impossible to ignore, and designed to elicit strong emotional reaction through its futuristic looks, the 2015 Lexus NX represents a love-it or hate-it proposition. Nobody will ever be able to call this crossover boring, that’s for sure.

"The 2015 Lexus NX 200t F Sport combines brash looks, compact crossover dimensions, and the reputation for reliability Lexus has established for many years."

Lexus pioneered the luxury crossover SUV when it introduced the first RX 300 back in the late 1990s. Now, 16 years later, the 2015 Lexus NX arrives, smaller than the RX and playing catch-up in a segment littered with excellent choices. Loosely based on the Toyota RAV4 but featuring its own radical design and specific engineering details, the Lexus NX aims to stoke interest in compact luxury crossover buyers who are bored of the status quo.

Two versions are on sale, the turbocharged NX 200t and the NX 300h hybrid. Certainly a no-brainer as this SUV was developed, the NX 300h is harder to grasp in a world where gasoline averages $2.18 per gallon*. Unlike Lincoln, which does not charge a premium for a hybrid powertrain in its MKZ sedan, the NX 300h costs an extra $5,240 over the NX 200t. And while it is rated to go eight extra miles per gallon of gas burned, right now the math says it would take more than 15 years to recoup the extra money spent up front.

Considering that the less expensive NX 200t is also nearly two seconds quicker to 60 mph than the NX 300h, and has a slightly larger cargo area, and is available in racy F Sport format, the recommendation here is clear. Spend your money on options instead of a relatively basic gas-electric hybrid powertrain. Trust me, once you start shopping for this Lexus, you’ll discover the extra $5-grand goes a long way toward transforming this crossover into a real luxury vehicle.

Prices start at $35,405, including a destination charge of $925. You’re unlikely to find one with those numbers on the window sticker, though, considering that leather upholstery, heated and ventilated front seats, a navigation system, Lexus Enform smartphone integration and services, a premium sound system, power moonroof, and power rear liftgate are all extra, and spread across several upgrade packages. Add all-wheel drive, a blind spot monitoring system with rear cross-traffic alert, parking assist sensors, and dynamic radar cruise control with pre-collision braking, and you’re spending about $45,000.

My test vehicle was the NX 200t F Sport with AWD, painted Obsidian, and equipped with Rioja Red NuLuxe leatherette upholstery, a heated F Sport steering wheel, a power sunroof, blind spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert, a Comfort Package, and a Navigation Package. The grand total came to $43,460.

The cabin layout is fresh and modern, with leatherette seats, silver accents, and clear and concise gauges. The touch-screen control for the infotainment system is maddening to use. Try scrolling around on your smartphone or tablet without looking at it, and you'll know what we mean. Comfort is a Lexus hallmark and, even with this set of racy red seats, the NX offered the refinement you'd expect from the brand. The front and rear of the cabin was roomier than expected, given the compact proportions of the Lexus NX.

Depending on your perspective, the F Sport’s unique front styling either resolves or exacerbates the Lexus NX’s only real design flaw, and that’s a ginormous overbite forced by the fact this crossover is based on a front-drive platform. To my eye, the F Sport’s bolder grille is more complementary to the SUV’s dramatically sculpted bodywork, while at the same time creating somewhat of a justification for the NX’s jutting snout. But then, my test vehicle was black, a color that tones down the look-at-me design.

Inside, Lexus goes with ***** and buttons instead of a touchscreen display – getting a big thumbs-up from me! The NX 200t is also roomier inside and more comfortable than I expected, both front and rear. The soft, quilted NuLuxe leatherette does an excellent impression of real leather. Cargo space is snug at 17.7 cu.-ft. behind the rear seat, barely more than a midsize sedan, but a compact folding stroller fits lengthwise, boding well for sets of golf clubs.

Among potential buyers who love the NX’s styling, the deal-breaker might just be the new touchpad Remote Touch Interface (RTI). Replacing the mouse-style RTI that Lexus uses in other models, this touchpad control nearly put me into anger management therapy.

Lexus says: “If you’ve used a smartphone or a tablet, you’ll feel immediately familiar with the new RTI…(which) lets the driver access various functions while staying focused on the road.” That’s nonsense. How often do you use your smartphone’s or your tablet’s touchscreen to access functions or information without actually looking at the smartphone or tablet?

This is the first turbocharged engine to appear in any Lexus product. The 2.0-liter turbo 4-cylinder delivers 235-horsepower and 258 lb.-ft. of torque.

In the NX, whenever you use the RTI, you need to look at the display screen atop the dashboard. You need to be precise with fingertip movements on the touchpad, a challenge on anything but glass-smooth roads. If your fingertips are especially dry, you’ll discover a frequent and infuriating lack of response. It remains to be seen how the sweaty-palmed amongst us might fare, though it's likely the results won’t be any better.

Additionally, the soft wrist pad that proves so effective with the old RTI design seems too large and unwarranted here. In the NX the whole contraption is located too far back on the center console for me to comfortably use.

As just one of many examples of my frustration with this setup, while referencing the navigation display, I was attempting to zoom out in order to check traffic conditions several miles ahead. When I looked up to make sure I wasn’t about to bury the NX’s gigantic nose into slowing traffic, my finger stopped and rested on the RTI. When I looked back at the screen I had zoomed out far enough to see the entire lower 48 states. I never had that problem, or many of the others enumerated here, with the old mouse-style RTI.

There are aggravations associated with driving the NX 200t, too. Before I explain, you should know that this is the first turbocharged Lexus in history, equipped with a 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine making 235-horsepower between 4,800 rpm and 5,600 rpm, and 258 lb.-ft. of torque from just 1,650 rpm all the way to 4,000 rpm. These numbers put the NX 200t in the same neighborhood as key competitors, the Audi Q5 and BMW X3.

The trunk is only 17.7 cu. ft. in volume with the rear seats upright, which is about what you'd find in a midsize sedan.

A 6-speed automatic transmission powers the front wheels, and features both an intuitive manual shift gate and paddle shifters. My test vehicle also had the optional Dynamic Torque Control all-wheel-drive system, which can send up to half of the engine’s power to the rear wheels and which employs a special front differential designed to reduce any chance for torque steer.

Numerous sensors feed data to artificial intelligence software that selects the right gear and chooses the right downshift pattern based on whether or not the vehicle is in Eco, Normal, or Sport driving modes. The NX 200t also adjusts responsiveness based on how the driver is driving the vehicle, taking into consideration vehicle speed, steering speed, steering angle, throttle angle, and yaw rate.

Perhaps Lexus has overthought the drivetrain. That’s a whole bunch of code intended to enhance and perfect the driving experience, and in my experience it works decently but not flawlessly.

Under normal driving conditions, the powertrain proved responsive, and on mountain roads the various technologies lent the NX 200t an athletic character. However, when punching the accelerator pedal to take advantage of holes in traffic, the transmission sometimes delivered delayed downshifts. Under hard throttle, such as when getting up to freeway speeds, the powertrain occasionally suffered from uneven, wavering acceleration. Each trait occurred frequently enough as to make the SUV somewhat unpredictable to drive.

The black color of our test car hide some of the extreme design details of the Lexus NX. That might not be a bad thing, if you're on the fence regarding the brash exterior.
As far as handling is concerned, Lexus says the IS sport sedan served as the benchmark for NX engineers, but there’s only so much you can do with a stubby wheelbase and a higher center of gravity. Softer and more absorbent than expected given its tauter suspension tuning and larger 18-inch wheels, the NX 200t F Sport feels too plush and too tall to execute a performance-oriented driving mission.

Handling is decent, but my test vehicle’s all-season tires squealed early in corners and the NX 200t F Sport demonstrated little eagerness to break motor vehicle laws. Summer performance tires are an option, and might inspire an owner to regularly check the SUV’s G-force meter display. Otherwise, simply enjoy driving a small SUV that glides over road surfaces more than it bounces.

If the goal with the new Lexus NX is to deliver a sport/utility vehicle with an emphasis on the former rather than the latter, the company is off to a good start. I’ve got no major complaints about the brakes, the electric steering, or even my observed fuel economy of 22.3 mpg, even though it fell a bit short of EPA estimates.

Perhaps different tires would resolve my handling concerns, leaving Lexus pursue perfection through fine-tuning of its first turbocharged drivetrain, along with a total rethink about this crossover’s infotainment interface.
http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/lat...icle-1.2067853
Attached Thumbnails NX Automotive Reviews Thread-lexus-nx-200t-f-sport.jpg  
Old 01-31-15, 06:14 PM
WolfyLS460
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I just saw my first NX 'in the wilds' of a CVS parking lot. Wow the thing is basically a station wagon in everything but name only. Same height as the Hyundai Sonata parked next to it. An "SUV" it is not. So much for marketing sharp talk.

Cheers,
Wolfy
Old 01-31-15, 06:32 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfyLS460
I just saw my first NX 'in the wilds' of a CVS parking lot. Wow the thing is basically a station wagon in everything but name only. Same height as the Hyundai Sonata parked next to it. An "SUV" it is not. So much for marketing sharp talk. Cheers, Wolfy
Gee can't wait for your opinion of the 4G RX. It's probably going to look like a roided up NX. Besides that idk what you expected the NX to be or if you've never seen a picture of it. It's what every manufacturer is making these days, jacked up car frames with a wagon for a body. So there shouldn't have been much of a surprise there, unless you read the NX was suppose to be like an XTerra fighter?
Old 01-31-15, 07:01 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfyLS460
I just saw my first NX 'in the wilds' of a CVS parking lot. Wow the thing is basically a station wagon in everything but name only. Same height as the Hyundai Sonata parked next to it. An "SUV" it is not. So much for marketing sharp talk.

Cheers,
Wolfy
No, the NX is no SUV. That's cuz it's a CUV. There is a difference.

Quick Reply: NX Automotive Reviews Thread