NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Electronics Bug - Infotainment Display, Sound, and Lock-up Issues (Merged Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-14, 02:14 PM
adamsmith
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm a software guy. The only tip I can give you is the following: if you have the same software as the rest of us, then, the software should behave the same. Being the same software version, then the difference is in the hardware, and those are big words: it can be the CPU, the motherboard, a corrupt memory chip...
I'm not trying to scare you, but just trying to avoid a technician in lexus saying that they updated the software and it should fix the problem.
I really hope I'm wrong: you may have a hardware issue, and some component must be replaced. The problem is to know which one.
Again, I hope I'm wrong... please keep us updated. We all hope lexus will behave as we all think Lexus would do.
KR
Old 12-17-14, 04:48 PM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by adamsmith
I'm a software guy. The only tip I can give you is the following: if you have the same software as the rest of us, then, the software should behave the same. Being the same software version, then the difference is in the hardware, and those are big words: it can be the CPU, the motherboard, a corrupt memory chip...
I'm not trying to scare you, but just trying to avoid a technician in lexus saying that they updated the software and it should fix the problem.
I really hope I'm wrong: you may have a hardware issue, and some component must be replaced. The problem is to know which one.
Again, I hope I'm wrong... please keep us updated. We all hope lexus will behave as we all think Lexus would do.
KR
I wouldn't say that is necessarily true. There certainly may be something wrong with a hardware item or how it reacts in a certain situation. Maybe there is in fact a manufacturing item that is off every once in a great while. It could still be a completely harmless intermittent issue though, and the software is just not robust enough to handle it. In that case perhaps only the software would need to be updated. Actually, I would say in any case the software has a bug as it shouldn't crash and freeze the screen like that.
Old 12-17-14, 10:52 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Of course, it's just coincidence you modified the lighting circuit with the LED strip. Or is it?
Old 12-18-14, 12:51 AM
adamsmith
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sg021
I wouldn't say that is necessarily true. There certainly may be something wrong with a hardware item or how it reacts in a certain situation. Maybe there is in fact a manufacturing item that is off every once in a great while. It could still be a completely harmless intermittent issue though, and the software is just not robust enough to handle it. In that case perhaps only the software would need to be updated. Actually, I would say in any case the software has a bug as it shouldn't crash and freeze the screen like that.
You are totally right that there is a bug.
But if he is the only one reporting the problem, with so many occurrences, i bet for a hardware problem discovering the bug.

The led strip could be a reason.
Old 12-18-14, 03:29 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Of course, it's just coincidence you modified the lighting circuit with the LED strip. Or is it?
I think I'd feel worse about the NX if switching out the trunk light was causing the Infotainment screen to freeze. In all seriousness though....have you been modding any other stuff OP?
Old 12-18-14, 04:43 AM
adamsmith
Driver School Candidate

I think I'd feel worse about the NX if switching out the trunk light was causing the Infotainment screen to freeze. In all seriousness though....have you been modding any other stuff OP?
It's not as simple as switching off the light...

The owner of the bug, is the owner of this post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...t-f-sport.html

It may be happening that the led strip is consuming more than the original bulb, and causing side effects. Or the voltage measure is sending a non-expected value that is making a software bug to appear... who knows...
Old 12-18-14, 05:02 AM
sg021
Intermediate

It's not as simple as switching off the light...

The owner of the bug, is the owner of this post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...t-f-sport.html

It may be happening that the led strip is consuming more than the original bulb, and causing side effects. Or the voltage measure is sending a non-expected value that is making a software bug to appear... who knows...
I think we are on the same page, it could definitely cause an unexpected situation. Other stuff on that circuit may not enjoy the change in resistance, inrush current, or whatever else from the light swap, so it could definitely have some consequences.

My problem with this being the issue is the very idea that a comfort lighting circuit in the cabin can cause this level of havoc. It wouldn't speak well for the design or at least the thoroughness of testing. That was why I asked if OP was doing other modding since they've obviously gotten in there already.

Last edited by sg021; 12-18-14 at 05:05 AM.
Old 12-18-14, 05:36 AM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It First happened on the drive home from the dealer. The trunk lights Mod have nothing to do with it. Lights are 6W/5V or something like that. Way below the cars limits.

Only other mod is the Blackvue camera/DVR and it is actually plugged into the cigarette lighter in the armrest spot.

P.s. Has not happened again since the 3rd time on Monday morning
Old 12-18-14, 05:39 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cb80923
It First happened on the drive home from the dealer. The trunk lights Mod have nothing to do with it. Lights are 6W/5V or something like that. Way below the cars limits.

P.s. Has not happened again since the 3rd time on Monday morning
Thanks for clarification, not surprised this isn't the issue. Good luck, maybe it just needed to get settled in

Only other piece of advice I can give is if it happens again try to remember what you were doing with the car and controls prior to the freeze. Also the sequence of changes to settings and screens you were using. Could it be that since Monday you've been using the Infotainment screens less since you may have everything set to how you like it at this point? Getting it to be repeatable is by far the easiest path to a fix.

Last edited by sg021; 12-18-14 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12-18-14, 06:50 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Did you have your phone plugged in via USB port?

For those of us with the 3IS, many have had issues with freezing systems and crashes when our phones are charging via USB.
The following users liked this post:
angelslex (07-30-22)
Old 12-18-14, 07:09 AM
cb80923
Driver

Could it be that since Monday you've been using the Infotainment screens less since you may have everything set to how you like it at this point? Getting it to be repeatable is by far the easiest path to a fix.
Been using it a lot more actually trying to make sure it is good. :-) Often switching between radio and USB music and Nav and Menu and just swiping the touch pad etc. Yes hopefully it has settled in and all good.
Old 12-18-14, 07:24 AM
cb80923
Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
Did you have your phone plugged in via USB port?

For those of us with the 3IS, many have had issues with freezing systems and crashes when our phones are charging via USB.
I did not have a phone plugged in via USB. I have however since Sunday I believe had a 32GB USB memory drive plugged in (Music and pictures only).

Fortunately I have never had that problem with my 3IS.
Old 12-18-14, 09:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

KR
just FYI, dealers dont replace components... if they think there is a hardware issue, complete unit is replaced.

Usually first thing is to update software and if it still happens, they replace hardware.
Old 01-05-15, 08:55 AM
cb80923
Driver

Default Update...

Just an update: Yes I have a service appt scheduled.

The original electrical problem has come back again. Has happened more than 8 times now. Again the very first time it happened was the drive home from the dealer. I cannot figure out any process or similar things I have done prior to it happening.

A new wrinkle is that the Rear View Camera picture has started popping up on the screen when I am driving down the road (yes forwards!). That happened twice yesterday, and you cant turn it off(unless you turn car off and back on, or press and hold radio power button / reboot.

So, my first , and hopefully last for a while, service appt is scheduled.
Old 01-05-15, 12:03 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

^^^ Sorry to hear of the glitch and hopefully it gets addressed.

Mine so far has no issues, but it's also a Canadian "non-Enform" version if this makes a difference or not.

However, one minor complaint is the new touch pad appears to be super sensitive. If my finger is hovering over the pad, the motion is picked up even without physical contact. Same behavior with touch capacitive gloves. Only setting available is the force feedback sensitivity.

Quick Reply: NX Electronics Bug - Infotainment Display, Sound, and Lock-up Issues (Merged Thread)