NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Headrest Too Close / Uncomfortable w/Proposed Solution (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-22, 02:54 PM
CLightning
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Pop out the head rest, turn it 180 degrees and pop it back in. Now the head rest is angled back.
Old 05-26-22, 10:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by joe97nsx
Thanks.
I don't know if there are any changes between the NX200 and the NX300 model but I have a 2019 NX300 and I find it hard to believe that Lexus would insist on this angle for so many model years even if it means the driver has to be the hunchback of notre dame in order to feel comfortable. Hopefully the IS F-Sport headrest works on mine because I'm ordering it sight unseen.
The headrest is positioned perfectly for me, I must have a small head.
Old 05-26-22, 03:31 PM
Rjngo
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The headrest is positioned perfectly for me, I must have a small head.
I would mirror with this statement as well…it’s one of the most comfortable headrest(seats) I’ve ever had. I’ve taken my nx on long trips…both wife and I have no issues with the seats and headrests
Old 09-06-22, 12:31 PM
joe97nsx
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
As luck has it, there was an NX non-F Sport in the showroom! A good thing I also brought the IS F Sport headrest since this is the one that results in the most comfort. The NX F Sport's bulkier width negates the gains of being in the back-most position resulting in a similar position to the fixed NX headrest. In short, pics speak volumes and I also personally sat in each of the three scenarios. Results:

1. NX headrest: head touching - head feels tilted, neck is in an uncomfortable position.
2. NX F Sport headrest: about 1/8-1/4" space improvement - not enough - still felt bothersome.
3. IS F Sport headrest: no touching since it is further back by about a more comfortable 3/4".

Hope this helps anyone who is bothered by the NX's headrest. On a downside though, in speaking with the SA this morning, these headrests are pricey ($1K each in Canada ) but you never know your dealer could work something out.

PS, this is an interesting discovery, right?

Didn't really make a huge difference in my case. I bought the IS F-sport head rest and yes, it does sit back more but I also noticed the angle is canted further forward than the NX headrest so it ends up being at around the same spot. There has got to be a way to bend the posts back.
Old 05-28-23, 04:06 AM
zozoramelu
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Super find for me

Originally Posted by joe97nsx
Didn't really make a huge difference in my case. I bought the IS F-sport head rest and yes, it does sit back more but I also noticed the angle is canted further forward than the NX headrest so it ends up being at around the same spot. There has got to be a way to bend the posts back.
I dont know if anyone tried this, the idea popped into my mind the second week of owning my nx200t, I just removed the headrest, turned it 180⁰ and slipped it back. Then I bought a set if 2 removable headrests, the type with a cord to be attached on your original headrest. Slouching and neck pain gone.
Old 06-12-23, 03:21 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,654 Posts

I wish I had seen this in 2014 - or sooner. I pounced on some on the Tesla forums who are doing the same thing.

Do not modify or swap headrests from another model as you can end up with a serious permanent injury or worse if get hit. The headrest angles are highly engineered and the angle highly calculated using the worlds strongest super-computers over thousands of simulations-- as with any newer/modern car in order to prevent injury to cervical spine/neck/back in an accident. Messing with the angles means you changed the parameters set by the engineers that were highly calculated with the entire seat package and restraint systems. The headrest is set forward for a reason. The engineers want the headrest loaded up as soon as possible if you get hit. this gives you the best chances at mitigating or eliminating injury risk. There's a ton of aspects people don't think of that starts with the seat.

i can do a whole page on how you sit, what clothes and other items you may have in your pockets, that can result in serious injury too. and i'm just a knowledgeable layman!

most people don't get how vital seats are. keep them 1000000000% stock! don't put anything on them like cushions too. those bottoms are also highly calculated and designed to load in a very specific way.
The following users liked this post:
zozoramelu (06-17-23)
Old 06-17-23, 02:58 AM
zozoramelu
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Agreed. But...

Originally Posted by E46CT
I wish I had seen this in 2014 - or sooner. I pounced on some on the Tesla forums who are doing the same thing.

Do not modify or swap headrests from another model as you can end up with a serious permanent injury or worse if get hit. The headrest angles are highly engineered and the angle highly calculated using the worlds strongest super-computers over thousands of simulations-- as with any newer/modern car in order to prevent injury to cervical spine/neck/back in an accident. Messing with the angles means you changed the parameters set by the engineers that were highly calculated with the entire seat package and restraint systems. The headrest is set forward for a reason. The engineers want the headrest loaded up as soon as possible if you get hit. this gives you the best chances at mitigating or eliminating injury risk. There's a ton of aspects people don't think of that starts with the seat.

i can do a whole page on how you sit, what clothes and other items you may have in your pockets, that can result in serious injury too. and i'm just a knowledgeable layman!

most people don't get how vital seats are. keep them 1000000000% stock! don't put anything on them like cushions too. those bottoms are also highly calculated and designed to load in a very specific way.
While I must agree with you on the engineering part as well as position and modifying the stock settings, I still have some comments.
People try to make their ride as confy as possible often forgetting these things. I can only think of those having different issues like me, neck pain, tailbone pain, etc.
For those, it's important to make the driving a positive experience, especially long drives.
So yes, we try to make a compromise between safety and comfort.
When I swapped it, I was thinking exactly at what you said, making even some tests banging my head against the headrest.
For me, it's a fair compromise giving me satisfaction from both worlds, safety and comfort.
I am sure that every poster in this thread thought of these before trying to adjust or modify their setup.
I guess it comes down to the willingness to take decisions well knowing the risks.
To be honest, the first second you get behind the wheel, you are at risk, the same goes when you walk on the side of the road... A piece of concrete could fall on your head and then you're done.
I don't mean any disrespect or anything, but I cannot live my life worrying that an accident will break my neck. I am a lucky dude who in 38 years of driving on different continents, I only had 3 accidents. One of them broke me 3 ribs on the left side and I still have some issues ever since.
My point is, we are taking risks every day. Life is short and you have the opportunity to make decisions that will improve your ride (in this life).
No time for worries...
Just my two cent...

Last edited by zozoramelu; 06-17-23 at 03:07 AM.
Old 06-17-23, 03:39 AM
DaJoDJ
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone know if the RX or the UX F Sport headrests will fit in the NX F Sport? I'm kinda liking the "F Sport" imprint.