NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-15, 07:55 AM
winst0n
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At times, the power rear door won't open by pressing the button in the dash when the engine is running (car is parked). Not sure if that's a security feature, but at times it does open... so not quite sure as to when or not ..
Old 03-31-15, 08:31 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by winst0n
At times, the power rear door won't open by pressing the button in the dash when the engine is running (car is parked). Not sure if that's a security feature, but at times it does open... so not quite sure as to when or not ..
You know you can't just press the button and release it quickly, you have to hold it for like 3 seconds, right?

phil
Old 03-31-15, 09:32 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Does anyone notice that the wipers don't really wipe very well under the spot where the main arm connects to the wiper blades?
I had the dealer change out the wiper blades under warranty, but the same issue prevailed.
Old 03-31-15, 10:31 PM
Pangoo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by legrunt
Does anyone notice that the wipers don't really wipe very well under the spot where the main arm connects to the wiper blades?
I had the dealer change out the wiper blades under warranty, but the same issue prevailed.
Get some rainx and treat your windshield. It will get nice and slick and help.
Old 03-31-15, 11:08 PM
winst0n
Driver School Candidate

lol, i know that for sure.. I'm saying sometimes it doesn't open when the engine is running... i have to turn it off then it would open.. im trying to figure the pattern...

Originally Posted by philwojo
You know you can't just press the button and release it quickly, you have to hold it for like 3 seconds, right?

phil
Old 04-01-15, 01:34 AM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pangoo
Get some rainx and treat your windshield. It will get nice and slick and help.
Oooooo I've sworn to never ever use rainx under a wiper ever again. It causes the wipers to judder like mad!

On the pano roof and all other glass, no prob,,, just never under the wipers in front...
Old 04-01-15, 07:58 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by legrunt
Oooooo I've sworn to never ever use rainx under a wiper ever again. It causes the wipers to judder like mad!

On the pano roof and all other glass, no prob,,, just never under the wipers in front...
I never had that issue. Might be a quirk with your vehicle/blades? Was going to apply some this weekend to my NX.
Old 04-01-15, 08:10 AM
BIGNOYZ
Driver School Candidate

Default On TPMS

I read the posts concerning tire pressures and never saw the real answer, so I thought I would share what I've learned.

Tire pressures can vary considerably based on temperature, whether that is ambient temp or the heat that occurs from driving the car. If you want a graphic demonstration of this phenomena, check your tire pressures on the sunny side of the car versus the shady side on a cold day. Tire pressures can also change over time as air slowly leaks out of the tires, although a nitrogen fill can stop that.

There are optimal tire pressures for handling, tire wear, comfort, safety, and fuel economy. The tire pressure label on your car provides a good compromise pressure for all these parameters. If your driving is mostly on curvy back roads you might like your pressure a little lower to improve handling. If you drive mostly on the freeway you might choose a higher pressure for better fuel economy.

TPMS was federally mandated to warn of dangerously low tire pressures that may cause a blowout. The system is good at letting you know when a puncture is causing a pressure loss and potential for a blowout. It is also good at letting you know if you haven't checked your tire pressures lately (air does leak out over time), especially that spare tire. Unfortunately it also triggered an alarm when seasonal temperature variations caused tire pressures to fall below the TPMS set points, causing headaches for drivers and dealer service techs. The solution is to over inflate the tires so that winter low temps won't cause the TPMS to alarm unnecessarily.

According to a Technical Service Bulletin from Toyota, tire pressures should be set so that they will not go below the point where a TPMS alarm will be triggered when temps reach the lowest that can be expected in a given climate zone. The TSB provides a chart for calculating how many PSI to over inflate the tires based on current tire temp and the difference between the lowest and highest expected outdoor temps. The procedure involves setting tire pressures to the desired TPMS set point, initializing the TPMS, then inflating the tires to the correct pressure plus the indicated over inflation amount.

You can get the Toyota TSB here: http://www.toyotapart.com/TIRE_INFLA...SB-0345-08.pdf

Keep in mind that this is a Toyota TSB from 2008 and the new Lexus TPMS may not work exactly the same way, but the principles of tire inflation and temperature compensation are still valid.
Old 04-01-15, 01:09 PM
papa214
Rookie

Originally Posted by philwojo
Last I heard was 3 months to a working template for them, that was about 1 month ago. No telling how long after a working template/mold, that they get them to the customer though.

Phil
Phil,

thx for the reply. Got my NX end of December was told it would be about 3 months then said they would send me an email when available...
Old 04-02-15, 08:05 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Front bumper/Wheel Well Air Vents

A nice detail discovery. I always thought this was simply a design and not functional element, but the F Sport bumper's side "vents" are actual vents that allow some air to the tires and brakes.

Old 04-03-15, 10:50 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I think Lexus has a design flaw at least for me with the seat memory buttons location.

The buttons are located exactly at my knee height. Almost every time while I'm driving my knee will bump into the buttons and instantly my seat will start moving, sometimes to my wife's setting that cramps me up against the steering wheel. This very aggravating but i don't think there is anything I can do other than tying down my left leg.

On my last RX, the buttons were much higher on the door way out of the way of my leg. Why Lexus would put the buttons so low is beyond me.

Has anyone else had this problem? It could be considered a safety issue I think.
Old 04-03-15, 12:32 PM
ncast2523
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dirt / slush / mud / rain water loves to collect on that nice sharp line on the bottom of the doors.
Old 04-03-15, 01:00 PM
alfaromeo3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I think Lexus has a design flaw at least for me with the seat memory buttons location.

The buttons are located exactly at my knee height. Almost every time while I'm driving my knee will bump into the buttons and instantly my seat will start moving, sometimes to my wife's setting that cramps me up against the steering wheel. This very aggravating but i don't think there is anything I can do other than tying down my left leg.

On my last RX, the buttons were much higher on the door way out of the way of my leg. Why Lexus would put the buttons so low is beyond me.

Has anyone else had this problem? It could be considered a safety issue I think.
I agree with you. It happened to me when I was on stop light. It went to my wifes setting.
One more thing, its not lit up for you to choose the settings at night. I have to touch my map light to so I can see better.
Old 04-03-15, 01:34 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

The memory seats issue is interesting. On my RX, that function is locked out while driving. If you push them while underway, nothing happens. Curious as to why they didn't do that on the NX.
Old 04-03-15, 01:50 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

that's what I see on my NX. When I'm in any gear, those buttons don't work.

Quick Reply: NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)