NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-15, 02:35 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I don't think so. The HUD is GPS driven which is how it triggered the US speed limit as soon as I crossed the border. As such, I suspect all HUDs in the NX internationally are designed and programmed the same and it's the car's country location that reveals this nice "hidden" feature.
I suspect that a great deal of this revolves around both the quality of the speed limit data in the particular country and Lexus' purchase of such data to embed in the nav system.
Old 08-07-15, 03:59 PM
cssaus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I don't think so. The HUD is GPS driven which is how it triggered the US speed limit as soon as I crossed the border. As such, I suspect all HUDs in the NX internationally are designed and programmed the same and it's the car's country location that reveals this nice "hidden" feature.
I have the F-SPORT 300h that's optioned to the max including GPS so I'm surprised this little feature doesn't appear....might be a question to pose to Lexus customer service. My cheap TomTom device shows the speed zone you're in

Mind you my GPS system "dings" all the time whenever I'm approaching a School Zone even in the middle of the night. Wouldn't have taken much to program it to not ding say between the hours of 5pm to 6am when schools are not open.
Old 08-11-15, 12:24 PM
CybrRdr
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Silent BSM

While changing lanes on a bright sunny day, I barely noticed that my BSM was flashing at me. Made me wonder how come when the turn signal level is operated, the BSM only flashes and does not beep like in other brands.

So I looked in the Owners Manual and to my disappointment the BSM is indeed silent even when the turn signal is operated. It will only lit up or flash at you.

I understand that the beeping may be annoy to some but on a very bright day when the BSM mirror indicators are barely visible a beep can help. Are all Toyota/Lexus BSM systems this way?

Old 08-11-15, 01:09 PM
Mr645
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not found that my NX has a blind spot. The side mirrors easily cover other cars from when they leave my rear view mirror and until they enter my vision through the windows. Just a quick glance to the side is all it takes. I actually find the orange lights on the mirror distracting and keep them off
Old 08-12-15, 07:33 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CybrRdr
While changing lanes on a bright sunny day, I barely noticed that my BSM was flashing at me. Made me wonder how come when the turn signal level is operated, the BSM only flashes and does not beep like in other brands.

So I looked in the Owners Manual and to my disappointment the BSM is indeed silent even when the turn signal is operated. It will only lit up or flash at you.

I understand that the beeping may be annoy to some but on a very bright day when the BSM mirror indicators are barely visible a beep can help. Are all Toyota/Lexus BSM systems this way?
I think the idea is that BSM is still a secondary to you looking in the direction that you are turning. You are not supposed to rely on it solely. So if you are looking in the direction you are turning and checking if things are all clear then the flashing should be enough to get your attention.
Old 08-13-15, 06:38 AM
CybrRdr
Driver

Originally Posted by tresmith00
I think the idea is that BSM is still a secondary to you looking in the direction that you are turning. You are not supposed to rely on it solely. So if you are looking in the direction you are turning and checking if things are all clear then the flashing should be enough to get your attention.
Understood but as I mentioned, under strong sunlight situations the BSM indicators may be difficult to see. This is even noted in the owners manual. (See above) That being said it would be nice if the Lexus BSM system had an additional audio alert as well. Other manufacturers have an audio alert as well as the flashing indicator for the BSM. I am just wondering why Lexus does not have it for the BSM since the Rear cross traffic system does beep.
Old 08-13-15, 07:55 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Understood but as I mentioned, under strong sunlight situations the BSM indicators may be difficult to see. This is even noted in the owners manual. (See above) That being said it would be nice if the Lexus BSM system had an additional audio alert as well. Other manufacturers have an audio alert as well as the flashing indicator for the BSM. I am just wondering why Lexus does not have it for the BSM since the Rear cross traffic system does beep.
Agreed. Our 2013 Mazda CX-5 beeped...and it was handy on a couple of occasions.
Old 08-13-15, 09:27 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Originally Posted by D4V1D
Agreed. Our 2013 Mazda CX-5 beeped...and it was handy on a couple of occasions.
Our 2015 Genesis (sedan) also beeps.
Old 08-13-15, 12:37 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

For heavy city driving (such as in my case), it would beep incessantly making it background noise increasing the chances of the driver ignoring it. With this said however, it would still be nice for Lexus to have provided the option to enable/disable an audible alert.
Old 08-13-15, 01:21 PM
D4V1D
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hold up, wait...

I thought that we were saying that the NX does not have an audible beep when the BSM light is ON and we use our turn signal.

If I'm now understanding this correctly, what the OP wanted is for the BSM to beep in addition to lighting up...each time, with or without using the turn signal...I would HATE that incessant beeping.

What I was referring to above with our CX-5 was that it lit up when the BSM detected an object, but would ONLY beep if we were to use our turn signal in that direction, then we would hear a beep, but only then. So, does the NX do it this manner or make no audible beep at all? Sorry, but I haven't tested that yet.
Old 08-13-15, 01:45 PM
CybrRdr
Driver

What I mean is that when the turn signal lever is operated it would be nice to have the option of an additional audio alert when BSM detects something.

I find that is is odd that the integrated Rear-Cross Traffic Alert beeps but the BSM only has a visual alert. Also the optional Park Assist system provides both a visual and audio alert.
Old 08-13-15, 08:39 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

@D4V1D @CybrRdr - oh, got it. That makes sense to have the audible alert only when the turn signal is operated - yes would have been nice in addition to the visual alert in the mirror.
Old 08-14-15, 01:20 AM
optokki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One cool trick I noticed today when operating the voice command is that if you press the voice command button again, you can skip the dialogue the Navigation woman says and go straight to your voice input. For example when verbally entering an address for the navigation normally you would have to hear the whole speal "Please enter the full address including the city and state blah blah blah" Just press the button one more time to skip
Old 08-14-15, 05:46 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Originally Posted by optokki
One cool trick I noticed today when operating the voice command is that if you press the voice command button again, you can skip the dialogue the Navigation woman says and go straight to your voice input. For example when verbally entering an address for the navigation normally you would have to hear the whole speal "Please enter the full address including the city and state blah blah blah" Just press the button one more time to skip
Excellent! Man, that got irritating.
Old 08-16-15, 03:49 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

can someone provide the link to the list of the dealer customizable features of the NX? I had but can't seem to find it now.

Quick Reply: NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)