NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15 | 08:59 AM
typocl
Instructor

I actually like the fisheye distortion of the camera - certainly takes some getting used to, but it gives you a wider viewing angle, so I can see things that I wouldn't if it was a standard camera lens. Took me a while, but I had realized I could actually see the bumper of the car, so I can get crazy close if I need to. And for me, the guidelines are fine for me. I'm able to backup into a parking spot really well now - hardly use the side mirrors.
Old 10-12-15 | 09:30 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr645
I too find the backup camera rather annoying, distracting. I like that the side view mirrors can be programmed to drop in and down when i reverse. The three mirrors give me a clear, accurate view of what's behind me and next to me. The camera has guidelines that don't match up to anything on the car. The camera lens is distorted and makes it tricky to gauge distance and placement. I set the view to it's minimum brightness so it's less distracting at night. I may just put tape over the camera
The camera will show you objects and areas that the rear-view mirrors could never reveal. The two parallel blue guide lines (width of vehicle) seem really accurate to me. They are purposely a bit wider than the actual vehicle to help avoid scraping objects next to you.

Just be careful on inclines/declines (sloped parking surfaces) because the distances will be off. The manual does a decent job of explaining this (with images), starting on page 289 of the navigation guide.
Old 10-12-15 | 09:34 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by ramyta
Yes, a microfiber cloth to use before you start parking...
but ya, its annoying.
Be careful when cleaning the camera lens. From the manual...

• When cleaning the camera lens, flush
    the camera with a large quantity of
    water, rinse the camera lens with water
    and wipe it with a soft and wet cloth.
    Failure to do so may cause the camera
    lens to be scratched and unable to
    transmit a clear image.
  • Do not allow organic solvent, car wax,
    window cleaner or a glass coating to
    adhere to the camera. If this happens,
    wipe it off as soon as possible.
  • If the temperature changes rapidly, such
    as when hot water is poured on the
    vehicle in cold weather, the system may
    not operate normally.
  • When washing the vehicle, do not apply
    intensive bursts of water to the camera
    or camera area. Doing so may result in
    the camera malfunctioning.
Old 10-13-15 | 05:53 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXOwner
I was going to say the same thing. However, doesn't Rain-X make the water bead? If so then a bunch of little water beads could make the image worse than just drop or two of water on the lens.
rain x makes the water bead and at the same time makes it easier for the water to run off. that could work.
Old 10-20-15 | 12:48 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

They really need to speed up the connection between the lexus enform app and the car. It takes way too long to get feedback about the car.

It would be much better if they just gave us a two way remote with a screen. BMW just came out with what I believe to be the first OEM two way remote.

I'm surprised two way remotes haven't caught on with the car industry. then again they wouldn't be able to charge you a monthly fee for the service.

Last edited by tresmith00; 10-20-15 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-20-15 | 02:04 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tresmith00
They really need to speed up the connection between the lexus enform app and the car. It takes way too long to get feedback about the car.

It would be much better if they just gave us a two way remote with a screen. BMW just came out with what I believe to be the first OEM two way remote.

I'm surprised two way remotes haven't caught on with the car industry. then again they wouldn't be able to charge you a monthly fee for the service.
I would hate to carry a key like this. Way too big. Not to mention, another thing to recharge...no thanks

Last edited by dchar; 10-20-15 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-21-15 | 02:42 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dchar
I would hate to carry a key like this. Way too big. Not to mention, another thing to recharge...no thanks

I agree that that's a rather large keyfob but I'd put up with the size to get all that convenience something like that will bring.
Old 10-21-15 | 03:00 AM
D4V1D
Driver

I agree that that's a rather large keyfob but I'd put up with the size to get all that convenience something like that will bring.
I love the novelty of that remote but, honestly, if Lexus would simply speed up the process a little, the phone app is sufficient. It's not like I (and probably most of us) am EVER without my phone nowadays...

That BMW remote is really badass, though, seriously!
Old 10-21-15 | 03:42 AM
DBCOM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchar
Considering some people have mobile phones now almost the size of tablets, I don't find this is that bad... definitely bulkier, but pretty cool nonetheless! I love gadgets though, so to each their own....
Old 10-21-15 | 10:57 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Originally Posted by D4V1D
I love the novelty of that remote but, honestly, if Lexus would simply speed up the process a little, the phone app is sufficient. It's not like I (and probably most of us) am EVER without my phone nowadays...

That BMW remote is really badass, though, seriously!
badass indeed...can't wait til lexus releases one of their own.
Old 10-21-15 | 05:36 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DBCOM
Considering some people have mobile phones now almost the size of tablets, I don't find this is that bad... definitely bulkier, but pretty cool nonetheless! I love gadgets though, so to each their own....
True...but then those people with large phones will also have to carry an unnecessarily large key fob too. Why not just put a program/app on a phone to do the same functions? I don't like the idea of charging my car keys too. I love new gadgets too, but this seems gimmicky and kinda worthless (kinda like smart watches).
Old 10-21-15 | 06:00 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

I loved the wallet key card I had with the RX F Sport. Was always in my wallet like a credit card avoiding the need to carry any additional fob. Convenience at its best.

Old 10-21-15 | 06:38 PM
jbm79
Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I loved the wallet key card I had with the RX F Sport. Was always in my wallet like a credit card avoiding the need to carry any additional fob. Convenience at its best.
My NX came with one key card (in addition to the two fobs). I gave it to my wife so there would be one less clutter in her purse
Old 10-21-15 | 06:53 PM
NXOwner
Racer

They really need to speed up the connection between the lexus enform app and the car. It takes way too long to get feedback about the car
Are you referring to when you use the app to get the vehicle's status? Or are you referring to the amount of time before your NX sends you a text message/email/notification that something was left unlocked or opened?
Old 10-21-15 | 09:37 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NXOwner
Are you referring to when you use the app to get the vehicle's status? Or are you referring to the amount of time before your NX sends you a text message/email/notification that something was left unlocked or opened?
I'm talking about the time it takes for the app to communicate with the car. Everything from locking/unlocking doors to getting vehicle status takes forever.

I was thinking that it takes that long cause there's alot of layers of security to get through.