NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-15, 09:31 AM
AJA999
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
The tab on mine broke the first week I had my NX, in January of this year. I was surprised how poorly it was attached, held to the cover only by a piece of plastic and definitely not sewn on. It was replaced under warranty; it took about two weeks for the dealer to receive the replacement.
On one of the cars I test drove, the tab was also pulled off. I made a mental note that if I got the car I needed to be very gentle with that tab.
Old 12-18-15, 11:59 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

^^^ Wow, surprised it pulled off. Mine seems very tight though I won't force it now that you booth stated it came off...
Old 12-18-15, 12:05 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default AVS and conditions that govern its damping force

For those in Canada and in eastern markets (availability at this time), the NX can be equipped with AVS (Adaptive Variable Suspension).

Came across a snippet in a UK brochure here on the conditions that govern the damping force.

Very complex indeed!

Adaptive Variable Suspension

The NX 200t F Sport is available with an optional new-generation, linear
solenoid-type Adaptive Variable Suspension. Working in conjunction with
Drive Mode Select (which adds Sport+ mode), it automatically adjusts
suspension damping in all driving conditions to achieve the highest possible
straight line ride comfort and high-speed stability, with suppression of body
roll and better cornering agility.
Lexus’s breakthrough of using linear solenoid actuators in place of the
more conventional step motors more than trebles the number of control
force levels – from nine to 30. The actuator is more compact, too, so it has
been possible to relocate it from the top of the damper unit to its lower side,
creating a lower bonnet line and more load space. As a result, suspension
response time has decreased four-fold, from 80 to 20 milliseconds.

AVS operation is governed by nine control inputs:

Vehicle Speed Sensing Control gives ride comfort at low speeds and
handling stability at higher speeds
Roll Attitude Control maintains the optimum vehicle attitude during
cornering
Anti-dive Control moderates the tendency to pitch forward under braking
Rebound Control works best on rough surfaces, smoothing out bumps
Ruggedness Sensing Control decreases damping force when vibration
from uneven road surfaces is sensed
Unsprung Mass Variation Damping Control increases damping force
when components such as the wheels start to resonate on uneven surfaces
VSC Co-operative Control works with the vehicle stability control
systems to provide the best handling options when the vehicle starts to
skid, for example on a damp surface
Pre-Crash Safety System Co-operative Control provides extra damping
force for accident avoidance under heavy braking
Old 12-19-15, 10:01 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
For those in Canada and in eastern markets (availability at this time), the NX can be equipped with AVS (Adaptive Variable Suspension).

Came across a snippet in a UK brochure here on the conditions that govern the damping force.

Very complex indeed!
After reading this, I can't shake the feeling of being cheated.
Old 12-19-15, 12:03 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by tresmith00
After reading this, I can't shake the feeling of being cheated.
To be honest, AVS does improve on the stability and ride comfort over the stock F Sport dampers but it's not that dramatically different so don't feel too bad especially since it's only available on the pricey 54K Cdn package.
Old 01-20-16, 09:06 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So I accompanied a family member to the local Toyota dealership and while there I was checking out the 2016 Rav4.

While checking out the Rav4 I saw that it had the exact rear bench as our beloved NX except for very important difference.

The Rav4 had a push-button flip down headrest which allowed you to lower the back seat without having to remove the headrests.

I immediately became jealous.

Why don't our upscale suv have this simple but very convenient feature.

I just had a road trip and had to fold down the chairs. I had to remove both headrests to fold down the chair and didn't really have any place to put them. Needless to say I could have used this feature.

This feature is so convenient that if the headrests are compatible I'll order a pair and replace it.
Old 01-20-16, 09:23 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

as per my recollection, the AVS system is basically changed the electrochemistry of the hydraulic fluid in the dampers. Not really amazing stuff but groundbreaking on a Lexus (same setup is standard on the new GLC). Drove the F sport RX which has this, and the body is semi better then the standard setup. But to be really more inclined, lexus would need AVS, integral rear steering, and active sway bars to be really a sport setup.

TL: DR AVS in its current form does not doo much in terms of handling
Old 01-21-16, 04:12 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm, unless my front seats are nearly all the way back the rear seats go down with the head rests in place It would be nice if the rear seats could be put down from the back instead of having to use the lever on the side from the back doors.
Old 01-21-16, 10:48 AM
jdt
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default paint sucks

Have had my nx f sport for about 3 months now and didn't opt for the clear bra. have 3 paint chips already. one in between the left headlight and grill and 2 more on the lower lip of the front bumper. people have said that lexus paint is very soft and chips/scratches easily....had i known this when purchasing my nx, i would've gotten the clear bra.
Old 01-21-16, 04:17 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Has anyone noticed that their automatic headlights go to the (EU: parkers, US: sidelight) setting?

All the cars I've had before with auto headlights is that they either are OFF(DRL) or low beam. The NX seems to go to parkers mode during the evening as it's beginning to get dark.
Old 01-24-16, 06:51 AM
MikeW83
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
Has anyone noticed that their automatic headlights go to the (EU: parkers, US: sidelight) setting?

All the cars I've had before with auto headlights is that they either are OFF(DRL) or low beam. The NX seems to go to parkers mode during the evening as it's beginning to get dark.
Not at all... Mine goes straight from the DRL's to low-beams, and vice versa. Maybe that's another AU thing?
Old 01-24-16, 07:16 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MikeW83
Not at all... Mine goes straight from the DRL's to low-beams, and vice versa. Maybe that's another AU thing?
I think so. I just asked my friend who has a CT200h and a RX350 and he told me that it also goes to parkers (dimmed DRL mode) before it gets dark enough for low beams. I found that very strange.

Here are some other things I found about the NX:

- The Lane Departure Warning, Brake Hold turn off when you turn the car off and you need to reactivate by pushing the buttons again when you start the car next. I wish the setting would stay on. The Blind Spot Monitor, Auto High Beam and Pre-Collision Warning stays on and remembers the setting so I don't know why the others can't.

- The Cruise Control doesn't work below 50km/h. My Honda works up to 30km/h so I can't let the car drive at 40km/h in school zones. Also the car doesn't seem to have a "Speed Limiter" function like my Honda. I'm not sure if it's because I don't know how to activate it. I also don't know how to use the function that follows the car in front in heavy traffic.

That being said, the adaptive cruise is excellent, it does detect the car in front and follows it at the distance you set.

- The infotainment system is fine. If you are not computer illiterate, then you will get used to it. Give it time, it has a lot of functions. That being said, there is no Chinese or any Asian character support so my Korean/Japanese/Chinese songs don't show metadata on the iPod menu. The central multi-funciton display does support Chinese UI though...???

- The boot is slow to open and close. But you can control it though the key fob so if you open it as you approach the car, it's okay.

- The Auto-Start Stop function cannot be switched off like in the Turbo 200t. Even in the sports modes. Won't call this annoying though, but I wish I had the choice.

- The heads up display is a must have I reckon. It's large, and in full colour. Since there is no digital speedo, it is a must IMO. Also, super impressed when used in conjunction with the NAV. The junctions and roundabouts are clearly projected and are animated to show you how to approach it. I didn't initially option it up but I am 100% glad I did.
Old 01-24-16, 03:41 PM
MikeW83
Driver

- The Lane Departure Warning, Brake Hold turn off when you turn the car off and you need to reactivate by pushing the buttons again when you start the car next.
I agree, my Infiniti had a button that could turn it off, but it was always on. Even if you shut it off, it would reactivate when you turned the car back on. However since this system actively nudges you back into the center of the lane, I'm not sure I'd want it doing that at lower 35mph speeds anyhow. I strictly use mine on the highway.

I also don't know how to use the function that follows the car in front in heavy traffic.
I'm not 100% sure the system is designed to do that. I think it merely uses the radar to detect objects in front of you, and brake or speed up accordingly. I don't think it actually intelligently follows anything other than your steering input. I might be wrong for the AU spec cars, but I don't think so... I think all you can control is the set speed and the distance at which you trail the car ahead.

- The boot is slow to open and close. But you can control it though the key fob so if you open it as you approach the car, it's okay.
Yes, agreed! I've noticed if the engine is on, it actually shaves a second off of the time to open/close.

- The Auto-Start Stop function cannot be switched off like in the Turbo 200t. Even in the sports modes. Won't call this annoying though, but I wish I had the choice.
Well of course not, that's the whole point of a a Hybrid! lol Idling is a huge fuel economy buster. That's why Hybrid cars run off battery as much as they can.

- The heads up display is a must have I reckon. It's large, and in full colour. Since there is no digital speedo, it is a must IMO.
I'm jealous! For some stupid reason, that's not an option on US spec NXs. Nor is your glorious 360 camera system. Which is extra dumb, because all Infiniti's in the US have that now, and have for many years. Even more base Nissan's have it
Old 01-24-16, 08:53 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MikeW83
I agree, my Infiniti had a button that could turn it off, but it was always on. Even if you shut it off, it would reactivate when you turned the car back on. However since this system actively nudges you back into the center of the lane, I'm not sure I'd want it doing that at lower 35mph speeds anyhow. I strictly use mine on the highway.
The lane keeping assist doesn't work in the NX under 50km/h. It is automatically disabled.

I'm not 100% sure the system is designed to do that. I think it merely uses the radar to detect objects in front of you, and brake or speed up accordingly. I don't think it actually intelligently follows anything other than your steering input. I might be wrong for the AU spec cars, but I don't think so... I think all you can control is the set speed and the distance at which you trail the car ahead.
There is an all-speed-radar function on the NX, there is a section in the user manual about it, but I am too lazy to read about it.

Yes, agreed! I've noticed if the engine is on, it actually shaves a second off of the time to open/close.
Haha really?

Well of course not, that's the whole point of a a Hybrid! lol Idling is a huge fuel economy buster. That's why Hybrid cars run off battery as much as they can.
I had the impression that in the Prius, pressing the "PWR" button keeps the engine on and the electric motors prepped for instant acceleration.

My issue with the NX is that it's very "automatic". The hybrid system that is. On the Mercedes or Volvo hybrids, you and select things such as "E-Save" and "Charge only" to keep the charge in the battery. When the NX gets down to 2 bars, it runs the engine to recharge the traction battery to 3 bars, then it turn off. Then after using it for a bit, the engine will turn on again. Then repeat. I wish I could set the engine to turn on until the battery is charged up then switch off.

I'm jealous! For some stupid reason, that's not an option on US spec NXs. Nor is your glorious 360 camera system. Which is extra dumb, because all Infiniti's in the US have that now, and have for many years. Even more base Nissan's have it
Yeah I know. North America is by far the biggest customer base for Lexus and I don't understand why you don't get all the options. The 360 camera and the HUD are the most innovative tech on the NX.
Old 01-25-16, 07:24 AM
MikeW83
Driver

My issue with the NX is that it's very "automatic". The hybrid system that is. On the Mercedes or Volvo hybrids, you and select things such as "E-Save" and "Charge only" to keep the charge in the battery. When the NX gets down to 2 bars, it runs the engine to recharge the traction battery to 3 bars, then it turn off. Then after using it for a bit, the engine will turn on again. Then repeat. I wish I could set the engine to turn on until the battery is charged up then switch off.
I'm pretty sure if you look at the MPG specs on the Benz and Volvo, you will see they don't get the same economy as Toyota hybrids, for that very reason. I think that's partially why Mercedes abandoned Hybrid tech, and went to plug-in variants on the B and S class here in the US.

Also, I think it was Corrado who mentioned that the Hybrid system is designed to not go to full charge all the time to prevent battery wear. Same reason why keeping your phone or laptop at 75-100% all the time is bad. When I had my RXh, I remember it being a battle to actually get it to charge above 70% EVER. The only time It would really do that was on warm spring days, when you didn't have the climate control on what-so-ever, and were doing a lot of pulsing and coasting. Using rolling force and braking to charge the battery.

Quick Reply: NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)