NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

is paint film protection worth it for hood and bumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-15, 01:19 PM
mwl7698
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, paint protection film is a must have. I got it on my 2is but it was only 25% of the hood and fenders, back of mirrors and the door handle cups. They didnt do the bumper. I certainly wish i had done the front bumper as well. It is all pitted from road debris now. The film was removed in september '14 when i had the car wrapped in satin pearl vinyl. Looking at the chips that show in the top color coat, im glad that the vinyl is there, otherwise the chips would be in the paint! Ive already met with the shop that did my vinyl for a quote on protection film for the full hood, bumper, mirrors and door handle cups as well as black vinyl for the roof. Im also getting 45% tint on windshield and 32% tint side and rear all for $2000.
Old 05-11-15, 01:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,963 Posts

Originally Posted by Drtbk4ever
A couple more questions regarding the clear bra.

We just brought our Nebula Pearl Gray NX home on Saturday and we opted for the clear bra on the mirros and on the leading edge of the fender and, I thought, the entire hood. Although I see it is just the first 15 to 20 inches of the hood is covered. I can see the line, but not an issue for me.

But DAMN, I think we got scammed. When we discussed the clear bra with the sales guys, I mentioned the $551 price from the Lexus.ca. He told us it was just for the front edge of the hood. The entire hood, mirrors and leading edge of the fender was $1388. At least I think he said it was the entire hood?? Regardless, that is a steep premium over the $551. I'm gonna call them regarding this.

Secondly, I see now the plastic bumper has large areas of vertical space that will be prime targets for rock chips etc. I am wondering if we should have gotten the bumper done as well. Thoughts?
If you paid $1,388 that should include the full hood and fenders. Its a big jump priceless from the 24" hood and fenders for several reasons. One being it requires a lot more product, and the product isn't cheap. The bumper and short hood kits have a computer pattern which saves wasted material. The full hood and fenders need to be cut freehand, so there is more loss and it takes a much larger piece of material. It also takes more skill.

I'm about ready to have my LS done, full hood, fenders, bumper, headlights, mirrors for $1,400, and thats $100 off because I am a repeat customer.
Old 05-11-15, 02:02 PM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mwl7698
I agree, paint protection film is a must have. I got it on my 2is but it was only 25% of the hood and fenders, back of mirrors and the door handle cups. They didnt do the bumper. I certainly wish i had done the front bumper as well. It is all pitted from road debris now. The film was removed in september '14 when i had the car wrapped in satin pearl vinyl. Looking at the chips that show in the top color coat, im glad that the vinyl is there, otherwise the chips would be in the paint! Ive already met with the shop that did my vinyl for a quote on protection film for the full hood, bumper, mirrors and door handle cups as well as black vinyl for the roof. Im also getting 45% tint on windshield and 32% tint side and rear all for $2000.
Thanks for confirming what I was thinking mwl.

Originally Posted by SW13GS
If you paid $1,388 that should include the full hood and fenders. Its a big jump priceless from the 24" hood and fenders for several reasons. One being it requires a lot more product, and the product isn't cheap. The bumper and short hood kits have a computer pattern which saves wasted material. The full hood and fenders need to be cut freehand, so there is more loss and it takes a much larger piece of material. It also takes more skill.

I'm about ready to have my LS done, full hood, fenders, bumper, headlights, mirrors for $1,400, and thats $100 off because I am a repeat customer.
That sounds more reasonable.
Old 05-12-15, 07:30 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got xpel put on the front clip and the entire hood of the NX.
Old 05-12-15, 06:41 PM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

I just talked to the dealer.
The Lexus.ca website has hood and fender clear bra at a price of $551. This stuff is guaranteed for 7 years.

My Lexus dealer uses only Xpel (sp?) which is apparently a much better product. So price for Xpel is $1398 for hood, fender, and mirrors. Guaranteed for LIFE.

It will be an extra $500 to get the bumper covered. We will proceed with that next week.
Old 05-13-15, 08:58 AM
Buddy888
Driver School Candidate

The F Sport model we purchased already had the 3M pre-installed on the vehicle so that cost 795$ was able to negotiate the addition of 3M to the front bumper for 300$ more Original price of 400$. Total amount for full 3M 1100$ not to bad I guess...
Old 05-13-15, 10:30 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have 3M on my Camaro, and compared to the xpel on the IS and NX, its overly thick, and overall subpar. The fitment isn't as good. It shows MUCH more. It doesn't have the healing capabilities of the xpel, and the 3M holds blemishes.

If you have the choice, I'd go xpel every time.
Old 05-18-15, 08:45 AM
twitte
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Clear bra on NX200T F Sport

My dealer wouldn't offer the clear bra so I went to Clear Pro in Temecula, CA (I use him for all my cars). He installed Xpel on the entire front end of my car, which includes front bumpers, full hood, mirrors, head lights but not the black grill. He charged me $1,400 and it took about 5 hours for the install. There is no way you can tell the car has a clear bra on the car, it looks really great.

I had the clear bra on my 2006 Lexus IS350 and when I sold it (about a week ago) the paint on the car looked like it was brand new. It had 118K miles on it too.

Old 05-18-15, 08:48 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

Over the weekend I noticed some marks on the front of the vehicle that were from hitting bugs while driving on the highway. I also noticed a small scratch (probably from a rock or other item on the highway). The self healing paint did not fix the small scratch so I will have to get touch up paint. I may be looking at one of the paint film protections down the road.
Old 05-18-15, 11:03 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

anybody know how they cut these to fit? Do they just score it and pull, or do they run the risk of cutting into the clearcoat? I'm just amazed between the first and second picture!
Old 05-18-15, 11:16 AM
twitte
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts
Default clear bra installation

Originally Posted by typocl
anybody know how they cut these to fit? Do they just score it and pull, or do they run the risk of cutting into the clearcoat? I'm just amazed between the first and second picture!
For some areas, such as the large hood, they cut the material slightly larger and wrap it under the hood so no edges are shown. They secure the edges underneath by using a heat gun. Some other areas may not be secured this way and may show edges. They smooth out the material and remove bubbles with a small plastic tool which you may see in some photos.
Old 05-18-15, 05:22 PM
brendaman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you who has it installed on the mirrors, do you hear any whistling/wind noise after install? There have been some posts regarding this (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-mirrors.html).
Old 05-18-15, 05:27 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

If it snows regularly where you live, and the municipality/state uses sand/gravel, paint protection film is definitely worth it. I was quoted $950 for full hood, bumper, fenders and mirrors for XPEL Ultimate.
Old 05-18-15, 05:34 PM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Originally Posted by computerwi
If it snows regularly where you live, and the municipality/state uses sand/gravel, paint protection film is definitely worth it. I was quoted $950 for full hood, bumper, fenders and mirrors for XPEL Ultimate.
Was this price from the dealer?
Old 05-18-15, 05:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,963 Posts

Originally Posted by brendaman
For those of you who has it installed on the mirrors, do you hear any whistling/wind noise after install? There have been some posts regarding this (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-mirrors.html).
My 4GS had it installed on the mirrors, no noise. Haven't had it installed on the LS yet. I will have it done on the mirrors and post my findings.

Quick Reply: is paint film protection worth it for hood and bumper