I appreciate your input.
I also have one on order from Kendall....Thanks nigel821
Old 02-08-18, 07:29 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 769 Likes on 479 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by d8168055
If you are installing yourself, a word of warning: Instructions say to line the center of the X to the hatch latch:

DO NOT DO IT!!! It will be OFF CENTER with the bumper! Below is a pic of my bumper protector, the X is slightly off to the left. This will give proper alignment to the edges of the bumper.

I was able to remove the protector because the double sided tape had not adhered fully, and readjusted. PHEW!
VERY good information to know!! Thank you. I wonder why Lexus would state directions like that unless they think the "LEXUS" should be center with the hatch latch which really wouldn't matter... I'd think just as you stated you'd want the bumper cover to be center within the actual bumper. MY OCD would have driven me nuts if I would have followed their directions then later to find out that the rest of it was off center with the bumper...arg!

Do you have any futher away shots of it. How has it been holding up?

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 02-09-18, 09:56 AM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

The Lexus logo center point is not the center of the X, so it is best to line up with your eyes. I used the lock cavity to line up (see yellow lines)

Here is also a further away shot. It is holding up quite well. My only complaint is that it holds water in between the bumper and protector, so make sure to wipe it off (like after a carwash or rain)
The following users liked this post:
crankshaft (02-09-18)
Old 02-09-18, 07:49 PM
nigel821
Racer

Excellent thank you for the information!

Kendall shipped the bumper cover, should have it next week! Can't wait to install it.

I'll post pics once done so people can see what it looks like on a black nx.

-Nigel
Old 02-20-18, 03:11 AM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

I received the rear bumper cover last week from Kendall Lexus dealer in FL. I would highly recommend NOT using them. They shipped it in the original box with no other packaging so it of COURSE got bent. See pictures. I emailed them and zero response. Typical as I figured this much.I was able to fix it with a heat gun and make it perfectly flat again. Should be installing this and the illuminated cup holders once they come in and get my truck done. Then I can do everything in the garage here in a couple weeks. Since my wife doesn't use the boot often it's not a huge concern for me to install yet.

-Nigel
Attached Thumbnails Rear Bumper Protector-20180212_180116_resized.jpg   Rear Bumper Protector-20180212_180120_resized.jpg   Rear Bumper Protector-20180212_180131_resized.jpg   Rear Bumper Protector-20180212_180149_resized.jpg   Rear Bumper Protector-20180220_060818_resized.jpg  

Rear Bumper Protector-20180220_060855_resized.jpg  

Last edited by nigel821; 02-20-18 at 03:17 AM.
Old 02-20-18, 06:29 AM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
I received the rear bumper cover last week from Kendall Lexus dealer in FL. I would highly recommend NOT using them. They shipped it in the original box with no other packaging so it of COURSE got bent. See pictures. I emailed them and zero response. Typical as I figured this much.I was able to fix it with a heat gun and make it perfectly flat again. Should be installing this and the illuminated cup holders once they come in and get my truck done. Then I can do everything in the garage here in a couple weeks. Since my wife doesn't use the boot often it's not a huge concern for me to install yet.

-Nigel
Sorry to hear that.....I also received mine last week from Kendall, the improvised packaging did hold up,
The one end of the protector was curled up a bit but I was able to flatten it out. Now all of a sudden I'm having problems sending pics.
I'm still waiting for my car delivery.....should be any day now!
Old 02-20-18, 10:06 AM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Originally Posted by crankshaft
Sorry to hear that.....I also received mine last week from Kendall, the improvised packaging did hold up,
The one end of the protector was curled up a bit but I was able to flatten it out. Now all of a sudden I'm having problems sending pics.
I'm still waiting for my car delivery.....should be any day now!
OK...here is a pic of my bumper protector....I also put a coat of VRT to bring out the lustre color.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Bumper Protector-dsc02272.jpg  
Old 02-27-18, 04:14 PM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Originally Posted by crankshaft
OK...here is a pic of my bumper protector....I also put a coat of VRT to bring out the lustre color.
Now installed....wallpaper roller came in handy too!
Attached Thumbnails Rear Bumper Protector-dsc02297.jpg  
Old 02-28-18, 08:47 PM
dvdmull
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Order the protector for the RX with chrome insert as seen in the Canada show room and use a heat gun to bend and it will fit perfectly.
Old 03-19-18, 07:07 AM
winglesss
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO it is a really dumb design feature to have this finish painted ledge between the cargo area and the exterior on a utility vehicle. Stuff is going to get dragged across the paint and scratch the paint.

The wife's SAV (different brand) also has this painted ledge that has gotten scratched during usage. We recently paid to have this damage repainted and have the original appearance restored.

An acceptable work around for this poor design is to apply a scuff plate to receive the damage.
Old 03-19-18, 10:08 AM
nigel821
Racer

^ Totally agree. I don't think they were thinking on certain things. I immediately knew there would be future problems when I dropped my wife and her sister off at the airport and I said I will get the bags. It was too late and they were already dragging them out of the trunk and didn't lift them... just slid them. They both looked at me weird when I said next time lift UP on the luggage and don't slide it...lol

I like that metal piece that is in the trunk. That's super robust and looks awesome. I wonder why Lexus/Toyota didn't extend that to the back somehow. Would have looked a lot better.

-Nigel
Old 03-19-18, 10:48 AM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nigel821
^ Totally agree. I don't think they were thinking on certain things. I immediately knew there would be future problems when I dropped my wife and her sister off at the airport and I said I will get the bags. It was too late and they were already dragging them out of the trunk and didn't lift them... just slid them. They both looked at me weird when I said next time lift UP on the luggage and don't slide it...lol

I like that metal piece that is in the trunk. That's super robust and looks awesome. I wonder why Lexus/Toyota didn't extend that to the back somehow. Would have looked a lot better.

-Nigel
Old 03-20-18, 05:39 AM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

Originally Posted by dvdmull
Order the protector for the RX with chrome insert as seen in the Canada show room and use a heat gun to bend and it will fit perfectly.
This one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-RX350...-/112539323135

I do like how that has silver bits. Looks nice. I wonder how much molding is required to make it fit. It looks like the NX/RX rear end is very very similar in terms of general curve.
I'd be half tempted to buy that but don't want to waste $135 if it doesn't fit.

-Nigel
Old 03-20-18, 06:08 AM
crankshaft
Intermediate

I would call the dealership & ask them if it would fit the NX?
Old 03-21-18, 06:17 AM
nigel821
Racer

I'm almost positive they would give the blanket statement of "this only fits the Lexus RX, model years X-Y.."...lol Now if a dealer had this part local and in stock I wouldn't mind driving to them and explaining what I wanted to do just to see if it fit... but, no one has it here so for now at least the NX specific one is fine, even though the RX one with the chrome strips looks pretty nice. I wonder why they didn't make the NX one look nicer? Well, I probably know, after a while the chrome pieces would probably look like *** after things get dragged across it.

-Nigel

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper Protector