NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Black Trim Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-15, 04:27 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Black Trim Maintenance

Question in regards to maintaining the body of the car.

I am OCD when it comes to maintaining a car, both inside and out.

While I have sealants, polishes, and waxes, I haven't really had to deal with black trim. My camaro has a little, but since its driven maybe 2000 miles a year, I don't really have to deal with color fading.

But what about the NX? This car is going to be my daily driver, and as such, the black trim over the fenders is going to be subjected to the conditions of being parked in the driveway, out in the sun, the rain,and the snow/salt.

So my question, what do you recommend to apply on that black trim to make sure it stays black? i am thinking Adam's VRT (http://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-supe....html?___SID=U), but I worry about the longevity of the product. I occasionally use Mother's Back to Black on my camaro if something changes color slightly, but that is one rain storm and gone.

Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Last edited by Swacer; 01-16-15 at 04:34 AM.
Old 01-16-15, 07:09 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I don't have a recommendation but over on the Detailing forum, there's always a lot of discussion on the topic. I would think the trim would require minimum maintenance.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...detailing-122/

Last edited by LexBob2; 01-16-15 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-16-15, 07:19 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, I'll take a look over there. I sometimes forget all the sub forums this site has.
Old 01-16-15, 08:08 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Thanks, I'll take a look over there. I sometimes forget all the sub forums this site has.
You can try glass coating/car coating such as Car Pro DLUX, Polish Angel Cosmic, or similar which will make the black trim water beading and more dirt resistant. And it will enhance the color a bit and has UV protection as well.
Old 01-16-15, 08:25 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use CarPro DLUX, Black Wow, and Aero Protectant 303 on trim. Any trim dressing with UV protection will be beneficial. The best part is you can use the same products to dress your engine bay and interior. Some products are oily and some are dry to the touch.
Old 01-16-15, 08:48 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

thank you guys. I will look into all of these. Adams got back to me, and their product for this is their Super VRT.

So I will look into all of them and pick one.
Old 01-17-15, 06:25 AM
tekbiss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you guys. I will look into all of these. Adams got back to me, and their product for this is their Super VRT.

So I will look into all of them and pick one.
Armour all should be fine but word of caution on the black trim (as I've had experience with them on another vehicle) is that when you apply wax to the body/panels to be careful not to apply on the black plastic trims especially when using Nufinish as the Nufinish wax will leave a white residue that will never come off!
Old 01-17-15, 06:35 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Turtle Wax Ice on my cars. It goes on easy and comes off easy. The best part is that it can be used on the black plastic trim and leaves no white film.
It really sheds the dirt off in the rain !
Old 01-18-15, 10:47 AM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I've heard very good results from a product called Wipe New can be bought at Walmart in the auto dept.
Excellent results in restoring faded black plastic trim on the exterior or interior....one application is suppose to last for years

For a brand new car I would just use any type of vinyl plastic cream or liquid spray on a micro pad or towel to avoid any excess over-flow.
Old 01-28-15, 11:03 AM
Mehul1456
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plasti-dip never fades!!

Question in regards to maintaining the body of the car.

I am OCD when it comes to maintaining a car, both inside and out.

While I have sealants, polishes, and waxes, I haven't really had to deal with black trim. My camaro has a little, but since its driven maybe 2000 miles a year, I don't really have to deal with color fading.

But what about the NX? This car is going to be my daily driver, and as such, the black trim over the fenders is going to be subjected to the conditions of being parked in the driveway, out in the sun, the rain,and the snow/salt.

So my question, what do you recommend to apply on that black trim to make sure it stays black? i am thinking Adam's VRT (http://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-supe....html?___SID=U), but I worry about the longevity of the product. I occasionally use Mother's Back to Black on my camaro if something changes color slightly, but that is one rain storm and gone.

Does anyone have any other recommendations?
I dunno if you want to do it but Plasti-dip is amazing. I used it on my white 07 altima to paint a few places on the bumper lips and side skirts for some flat black contrast. I put 4-5 thick coats on and it was a dream! Never ever faded even after 4 years of sun/rain and a little ice/snow, extremely durable and easy to clean (and easy to remove if you don't like it). Once you apply it all you have to do for maintenance is soap and water. It will stay black and looking new!!

I plan on using plasti-dip on all black trim the day I get my NX.