NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Remote Start with FOB

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-17, 08:01 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Thanks to this thread I tried my key fob to remote start the NX this morning and it WORKED. My Enform remote start also works but it is PAINFULLY slow and unreliable. Mine is '17 FSport AWD with NAVI
Old 01-19-17, 08:12 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

don't get all excited, unless you plan on keeping (paying) for Enform...
Old 01-19-17, 09:21 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by typocl
don't get all excited, unless you plan on keeping (paying) for Enform...
$100/year and I may keep it....more than that...nah...

a good 2 ways remote starter is about 500-600 bucks and it's much more reliable but you need to carry a second fob.
Old 01-19-17, 09:26 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
$100/year and I may keep it....more than that...nah...

a good 2 ways remote starter is about 500-600 bucks and it's much more reliable but you need to carry a second fob.
Its $249.99/year (when 2 years signed up) to get Enform Remote after the trial, but it also includes Safety Connect and Service Connect.

A bit expensive IMO.
Old 01-19-17, 12:21 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Just paid $349.90 for renewal. Probably not worth it, but i like the remote functionality.
Old 02-15-17, 01:09 PM
TomasEduar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start with Key Fob

I was another one of the unlucky few. Didn't work for me either. By the way, the dealer Tech Manager said the same thing as Dennis.
Old 02-16-17, 07:53 PM
NXblue
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for this forum on news like this! My dealer never said this either. I went out just now to try this & WOW! It works. My Enform
program also is spotty, at best. Most the time, it didn't start the car. FOB worked the first time. If this is tied to the Enform program,
that is sad of Lexus to shanghi a nice feature into a paid program. There is /going to be apps that someone will make this work!!
NXowner.. how's your programming skills going?
Old 03-12-17, 07:03 PM
DrewF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car starter

Isn't the car starter mine? I mean, didn't I pay for it? I can understand that Lexus owns the technology to remote start the vehicle, but don't I own the hardware that I should be able to start with the FOB?
Old 03-13-17, 09:18 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewF
Isn't the car starter mine? I mean, didn't I pay for it? I can understand that Lexus owns the technology to remote start the vehicle, but don't I own the hardware that I should be able to start with the FOB?
I agree completely. I don't know if they call out this feature as tied to Enform subscription. It's a shame they're taking a page out of the software vendor books, "oh, here's a code to unlock this feature, oh, here's a code you can purchase to unlock this other feature"

As I understand it, this FOB start was a "free" feature on earlier cars and also on Toyota's.
Old 03-14-17, 03:04 PM
Kretek234
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Remote start with key fob

Originally Posted by dchar
No way around it unless you want to get in your car without opening a door or unlocking the doors...which is a bigger pain in the ***.
Mine is 2017 NX F sport no navi, to start the car with keyfob work, what actually the purpose of this because when you open the door the engine stop. So we open the door,get in than have to restart the car.
Old 03-15-17, 06:05 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 2016 GX Remote Starter

My Subscription expired and the FOB remote starter stop working. Is this correct?
Thanks
Old 03-15-17, 07:20 PM
hadiguy05
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just bought my CPO NX200T last month. My salesman tells me I get a year of enform for free. Go to set it up have only 2 months left as previous owner had used it. Call salesman back and then he back peddles on the year commitment. Shame on him and shame on me for not getting it in writing.
Old 03-15-17, 07:30 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by angelslex
My Subscription expired and the FOB remote starter stop working. Is this correct?
Thanks
Unfortunately, yes, this is correct per the Lexus design.
Old 03-16-17, 06:38 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

It might be helpful to have a bit of history about remote starts on Lexus vehicles.

A number of years ago, Lexus was using the Remote Engine Start (RES). It was a about a $500 option, and it allowed for remote starting only with the key fob.

Around 2014 (varies by Lexus model), Lexus replaced the RES system with the RES+. It was about a $700-800 option, and it allowed for remote starting with either the key fob or a smart phone app. It also came with an $80 per year subscription. With the subscription, the car could be started with either the fob or the smart phone app. Without the paid subscription, key fob starting still worked, but the smart phone app starting was disabled.

Around 2015 (again, varies by model), Lexus replaced the RES+ system with the currently used Enform Remote Start. With the Enform Remote Start, Lexus began to include the hardware for the system on all vehicles at no extra charge, but it requires a paid subscription (after the first free year), to use remote start with either the fob or the smart phone app.

So, regardless of which of the 3 systems is being used, the vehicle owner has to pay to use the system. With the RES system, there was the $500 up front charge for the option. With the RES+, there was the $700 or $800 up front charge for the hardware plus the $80 per year subscription required to use the smart phone app to start the car. And, with the current Enform Remote Start, there is no charge for the hardware, but there is the $250 subscription that is required to use it.

If you had a Lexus vehicle with the RES+ system and if you kept it for, say, 5 years, the cost of using the system with both the key fob and the phone app would have been around $1100-1200 ($700-800 for the hardware option in the vehicle plus $400 for the 5 years worth of subscription to use the phone app). For the current Enform Remote Start, the cost to use the system for 5 years would be around $1000 (first year free plus $250 per year for the subscription for years 2-5). If you only want to use the fob option, with RES or RES+, you would have had to pay for the option when you bought the vehicle. With the Enform Remote Start, there is no cost when you buy the car, but you need the subscription to use the remote start.

So, the bottom line is that, regardless of which system, the cost over several years was going to be similar. The main difference is related to whether the cost is up front cost when you buy the car or whether it is distributed over several years via the subscription.

Last edited by lesz; 03-16-17 at 07:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Hubs (03-16-17)
Old 03-16-17, 02:54 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by hadiguy05
Just bought my CPO NX200T last month. My salesman tells me I get a year of enform for free. Go to set it up have only 2 months left as previous owner had used it. Call salesman back and then he back peddles on the year commitment. Shame on him and shame on me for not getting it in writing.
We were in a similar situation. We bought a dealer demo and was told we would have one year free. After 6 months it quits and we found out the dealer activated it and used the first 6 months. 😡😡

Quick Reply: Remote Start with FOB