NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Lexus drops the ball wrt information support

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-15 | 05:39 AM
HamIsh1028

Default Lexus drops the ball wrt information support

Lexus produces a high quality product. However, they do not provide to the Canadian market all features that they provide to the US or other markets. Whereas some features may not be provided on a particular model in Canada, there are more models and options offered in the US market. As an example, the NX in the US is available in FWD or AWD. In Canada, it only comes with AWD. Based on my experience since purchasing the vehicle, neither the dealers nor Lexus Canada has detailed information with respect to which features are or aren't provided. The owners manual is even more disappointing in that it lists every available option and leaves it up to the customer or dealers to figure out which options any particular vehicle has or does not have. Often at the cost of considerable time and effort. If one were able to know which features were or weren't provided on any particular vehicle before purchasing, they could make an informed decision as to whether or not to buy it. But neither the dealers know the whole story nor does there appear to be a resource for them to get this information from Lexus Canada. One can only assume that this situation exists in all their markets. For products of this value, Lexus' policy is unacceptable and shameful.
Old 01-26-15 | 06:43 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

No disrespect intended, but as a consumer you have the option of walking away. There are other choices out there if not satisfied.
Old 01-26-15 | 06:46 AM
leej865
Driver

You have to understand that owner's manuals are written to explain every feature available for any particular model. All auto manufacturer's do this. Anyone who builds anything will do this...televisions, stereos, etc. No manufacturer is going to write a manual JUST for the way your particular model is built. This is why you simply look at your sticker for the vehicle you bought...take note of the features/packages it was delivered with, and learn how to operate those features by going to the particular page in your manual to reference.

How many manuals for products do we see regularly that say things like 'this information is for models built with this particular feature and these model numbers'...well, auto manufacturers do the same.

I own an Infiniti M37s...it came with a 600 page manual. You can buy an M37-M56 for anywhere from the high 40s to the low 70s...it can be configured a myriad of ways. Nissan is not going to write a separate manual for every possible configuration. It is my responsibility as the purchaser to understand what I have purchased, how it is equipped (clearly outlined on the buildsheet from the manufacturer), and then find the reference to thos items in the manual. Todays manuals are available online and are completely searchable, so it is easy to find information.

My min point is that your complaint is for something not confined to Lexus, but really the way that anyone functions today...in fact, in the 40 years I have been buying cars, this is the way all owner's manual have always been written.
Old 01-26-15 | 07:01 AM
doomdealer
Driver School Candidate

While I do understand where your complaints are coming from, I do not agree that they are significant enough to conclude that Lexus had 'dropped the ball', so to speak.

Manual: Like other posters have said, other vehicles (including ones that I own currently) have a US/CDN shared manual. It's often up to the owner to figure out if a particular optional feature is applicable to his/her vehicle.

Lack of Info from Dealer: This most likely has to with the NX being still very new to the line-up. When I went to my dealer back in 2014 to put down a deposit, I knew more about the NX than the dealer simply from following the forums here and from reading Corrado's posts.

I personally don't mind the dealer not having the information, since Corrado's posts have been so complete and informative! Also, I consider this to be part of the 'growing pains' of buying a 1st gen vehicle at release.
Old 01-26-15 | 07:09 AM
HamIsh1028

Default Two wrongs don't make a right

Yes, I too have been buying cars for many years. And yes, every owners manual is the same. However, in the age of computers, if they can produce ten different vehicle types, there's no reason why they can't produce an owners manual specifically for each type. And the "sticker" doesn't list every feature cars come with. But more importantly, after having been told by the dealer that a particular feature was included and I couldn't get it working, I called Lexus Canada customer support and was told that that particular feature is not included and given completely inaccurate information regarding another feature. This is inexcusable.
Old 01-26-15 | 09:18 AM
DenM54
Rookie

Originally Posted by doomdealer
While I do understand where your complaints are coming from, I do not agree that they are significant enough to conclude that Lexus had 'dropped the ball', so to speak.

Manual: Like other posters have said, other vehicles (including ones that I own currently) have a US/CDN shared manual. It's often up to the owner to figure out if a particular optional feature is applicable to his/her vehicle.

Lack of Info from Dealer: This most likely has to with the NX being still very new to the line-up. When I went to my dealer back in 2014 to put down a deposit, I knew more about the NX than the dealer simply from following the forums here and from reading Corrado's posts.

I personally don't mind the dealer not having the information, since Corrado's posts have been so complete and informative! Also, I consider this to be part of the 'growing pains' of buying a 1st gen vehicle at release.
Same here, when I bought mine I kept mentioning the Triple Beam LED's, the salesperson had no ide what that even meant. If it was for the forum (corrado), I would probably wouldn't have even bought the vehicle because of the lack of published info.
Old 01-26-15 | 10:00 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DenM54
Same here, when I bought mine I kept mentioning the Triple Beam LED's, the salesperson had no ide what that even meant. If it was for the forum (corrado), I would probably wouldn't have even bought the vehicle because of the lack of published info.
Keep in mind, most salesmen aren't worth their weight in bubble gum. They are relatively worthless. You have to do the research yourself. I am yet to meet a salesman that knew more about the car i was purchasing than I did. Heck, I had my build list, thanks to this forum, with all the codes, and half the dealership couldn't figure out how i knew them.
Old 01-26-15 | 10:34 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by HamIsh1028
Yes, I too have been buying cars for many years. And yes, every owners manual is the same. However, in the age of computers, if they can produce ten different vehicle types, there's no reason why they can't produce an owners manual specifically for each type. And the "sticker" doesn't list every feature cars come with. But more importantly, after having been told by the dealer that a particular feature was included and I couldn't get it working, I called Lexus Canada customer support and was told that that particular feature is not included and given completely inaccurate information regarding another feature. This is inexcusable.
In the age of computers, inventory and printing costs still matter and stocking a different manual for every feature variation makes no sense. Would you rather have a nicely printed manual which contains information that won't apply to all vehicles, a hastily printed manual from the dealer specific to your car, an app that you will be forced to download, or an increase in the car's price to deal with the additional costs associated with exact manuals because you know they won't just absorb that cost.
Old 01-26-15 | 10:35 AM
leej865
Driver

Originally Posted by Swacer
Keep in mind, most salesmen aren't worth their weight in bubble gum. They are relatively worthless. You have to do the research yourself. I am yet to meet a salesman that knew more about the car i was purchasing than I did. Heck, I had my build list, thanks to this forum, with all the codes, and half the dealership couldn't figure out how i knew them.
This is exactly right...salespeople are there to close a deal. I would never rely on one to tell me how my vehicle was equipped, and if the dealership could not validate that a vehicle I wanted to buy was equipped with something I specifically wanted, I would not buy the vehicle. And if you wait until after you buy it to validate how it's equipped, it's too late.

Dealerships can provide build lists. I have purchased new models by viewing build sheets at the dealerships in their systems to show me which vehicles were expected to be delivered in the future and how they were equipped. The everyday salesperson is not the person to work with to get this information...it is better to work with a sales manager. I don't know how dealerships are set up in Canada, but I have done this in various cities in various states in the US over the years, and it has always worked fine.
Old 01-26-15 | 11:21 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by leej865
This is exactly right...salespeople are there to close a deal. I would never rely on one to tell me how my vehicle was equipped, and if the dealership could not validate that a vehicle I wanted to buy was equipped with something I specifically wanted, I would not buy the vehicle. And if you wait until after you buy it to validate how it's equipped, it's too late.

Dealerships can provide build lists. I have purchased new models by viewing build sheets at the dealerships in their systems to show me which vehicles were expected to be delivered in the future and how they were equipped. The everyday salesperson is not the person to work with to get this information...it is better to work with a sales manager. I don't know how dealerships are set up in Canada, but I have done this in various cities in various states in the US over the years, and it has always worked fine.

Build list from dealership is useful. My salesman has been helpful and he let me take a look at the build list.

Another tip is to take a glance at the actual owner's manual, spend some time to verify what is in each package before any purchase commitment.

Lexus did not drop a ball. It is up to Lexus of each country/region to present correct and clear information to the customers.

Example -- if you take a look at the actual brochure from Lexus Japan, you will be impressed how much information is presented in the brochure.

Honestly, I find the brochures from Lexus Canada subpar in recent years, compared to its competitors (eg. BMW). Ironically, the brochures from Toyota Canada are much better in terms of information presentation. At least there is not much confusion.

And to OP --- NX FWD is not available in Canada for the same reason why RX FWD has never been available in Canada. It is market driven. On the other hand, AVS and HUD are available in Canadian market but not in US.

Last edited by AndyL; 01-26-15 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-26-15 | 04:49 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

There is a plethora of information on specs including the Lexus Canada website on specifics about what comes with the car and what are the option packages, for any buyer to make an informed decision.

http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/automobiles/nx

For convenience, it's attached in this post.

In short, everything that can be said to respond to the OP has been said respectfully and as such, this thread is now closed. Thank you all.
Attached Files