NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Official NX Roof Rack Options (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-18, 01:03 PM
Jerryt75
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retrofit 2017 RX roof racks on 2017 NX200t F-Sport

with a little altering I was able to fit them perfectly on the NX and I have to say that they look 1000 x’s better than the NX OEM .

Last edited by Jerryt75; 04-15-18 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Pictures
Old 04-15-18, 03:39 PM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Can you post a side view pic?
Old 04-15-18, 04:18 PM
Jerryt75
Driver School Candidate

Old 04-24-18, 02:37 PM
siaurchin
Driver School Candidate

Nice looking car .How did you modify the lexus rx roof rack to fit your NX ? I have a lexus nx 300 f-sport. And does it make any noise when your driving in the highway?
Old 04-24-18, 09:52 PM
Jerryt75
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by siaurchin
Nice looking car .How did you modify the lexus rx roof rack to fit your NX ? I have a lexus nx 300 f-sport. And does it make any noise when your driving in the highway?
Congrats on the new car. I’m jealous that the 2018 has the adaptive cruise and sudden stop detection. I couldn’t find a 2017 with it equipped on the 4x4 model. Weird quirks that Lexus has.

I cut 1 inch off each side of the rear crossbar (just on the back side of the river) and just drilled a new hole. Picked up some locking nuts and bolts from Ace hardware. The front already fit perfectly.

Just the normal amount of wind noise but I’m sure it exists with any roof rack that you put on it. Not terribly loud but you know they are there when you go above about 70mph.

Last edited by Jerryt75; 04-24-18 at 09:55 PM. Reason: spelled out inch
Old 04-26-18, 11:46 AM
siaurchin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jerryt75

Congrats on the new car. I’m jealous that the 2018 has the adaptive cruise and sudden stop detection. I couldn’t find a 2017 with it equipped on the 4x4 model. Weird quirks that Lexus has.

I cut 1 inch off each side of the rear crossbar (just on the back side of the river) and just drilled a new hole. Picked up some locking nuts and bolts from Ace hardware. The front already fit perfectly.

Just the normal amount of wind noise but I’m sure it exists with any roof rack that you put on it. Not terribly loud but you know they are there when you go above about 70mph.
Thank you for the Info. I will have to think hard if it is worth it to install the roof rack since i drive almost al least 2 hour everyday and i have to take the Highway for at east 45 minutes one way and the roof rack might make too much noise that I would not be able to enjoy listening to music. But that roof rack you have installed in your car really looks very good .
Old 01-17-19, 08:16 AM
cwonglex
Driver School Candidate

Can anybody give advice on length of bike rails that can fit on the Lexus NX without hitting the rear hatch when fully opened?

I'm looking at the Rocky Mounts Switchhitter, its around 58" according to Amazon. However, a lot of reviews say its very long and hits the back of their hatch (varies by car model). Any help/advice is much appreciated, thanks!
Old 01-17-19, 08:37 AM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by cwonglex
Can anybody give advice on length of bike rails that can fit on the Lexus NX without hitting the rear hatch when fully opened?
I had the Thule 594XT Sidearm and had no problems hitting the hatch. It measures 59" (according to Amazon). Take a look:

The following users liked this post:
cwonglex (01-20-19)
Old 01-17-19, 10:08 AM
Jerryt75
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by siaurchin
Thank you for the Info. I will have to think hard if it is worth it to install the roof rack since i drive almost al least 2 hour everyday and i have to take the Highway for at east 45 minutes one way and the roof rack might make too much noise that I would not be able to enjoy listening to music. But that roof rack you have installed in your car really looks very good .
I was riding with a friend who had the ugly NX factory roof racks installed and mine are actually quieter. Just thought I would update you on it.

Old 01-17-19, 12:18 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

IIRC, there is an adjustment on the center screen to adjust how high the rear door opens. If you have a bike rack that hit or is very close to hitting, that adjustment might help.
Old 02-18-19, 09:32 PM
Suspendmix
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbug
Tried to get my salesman to throw in a major discount for Lexus Cross Bars with my CPO NX200t AWD purchase Wednesday. I had already gotten a good discount on an extra key, so he couldn't do it. Then I saw these on eBay for $115 in black and ordered them. Got here today and they are nice to be a straight from China product, and an easy install.

I'll try them out for wind noise this afternoon. Wind noise test passed! Just the faintest noise heard at 70mph, but with music playing it couldn't be heard.

Update: I tested today with sunroof open and pretty noisy, so moved them back so front is just behind the sunroof. Much better! No wind noise with sunroof open. I'll try to update photos tomorrow.

What did you think of the ebay crossbars? I saw some that looked exactly the same as yours and thinking about getting them as I'm balking at OEM price. Plan on getting a roof rack to occassionally haul 4 snow boards up into the mountains. Thanks!
Old 03-30-19, 05:28 AM
trudeljb
Driver School Candidate

Default Ebay link for Lexus Crossbars?

Jimbug, I realize I'm about 2 years too late on this... but I just got my 2015 Lexus NX 300h in November and am just now getting around to buying a roof rack for my bikes! You said you'd gotten your rack on Ebay for ~$115? Can you do a quick look to see if you can locate the same or similar item now? You seem quite happy with what you got and the price seems significantly better than the $375 Lexus wants to charge for a product that is likely identical. Please let me know!

Originally Posted by jimbug
Tried to get my salesman to throw in a major discount for Lexus Cross Bars with my CPO NX200t AWD purchase Wednesday. I had already gotten a good discount on an extra key, so he couldn't do it. Then I saw these on eBay for $115 in black and ordered them. Got here today and they are nice to be a straight from China product, and an easy install.

I'll try them out for wind noise this afternoon. Wind noise test passed! Just the faintest noise heard at 70mph, but with music playing it couldn't be heard.

Update: I tested today with sunroof open and pretty noisy, so moved them back so front is just behind the sunroof. Much better! No wind noise with sunroof open. I'll try to update photos tomorrow.

Old 03-30-19, 10:17 AM
Suspendmix
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You can find those rails pretty easily on ebay with "Lexus NX200 crossbars" for as cheap as 130 from what I remember. I ended up going with the Brightlines version that I picked up off of Amazon. A bit more at $189 but I wanted the security of Amazon's CS in case of problems fitting the bars on:
Amazon Amazon

As it was, it was easy to put on, about 20-30 minutes and most was spent on the first bar. Very sturdy, holds up a FatCat Evo 6 ski rack. A bit of added wind noise even without ski rack but is not significant. Here's a few pics

Last edited by Suspendmix; 03-30-19 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Missing reply
Old 04-07-19, 05:39 PM
Danny200t
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

OEM Lexus roof racks with Thule Sidearm 594XT Bike carriers
Old 04-13-19, 06:24 AM
tolheiser
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mjfavs
1. Went back out and checked, the rubber stripping is located closer to the front of each bar, but also checked the graphics on the side of the bars. There are arrows which clearly point to which side of the car and location that specific point belongs, and I lucked out and had them aligned.
2. I'm hoping this was just a step from previous builds, whereas the newer cross bars already have this slot filled in and completed for you. The instructions I printed were from the 2015 manual.
3. Still no clicks for me. I unwound everything and restarted just to be safe, and no clicks. The dials physically stopped turning, and everything is super tight, but no noise.
Hi - did you figure out how to get a click? I am struggling BIG TIME to get the cross bars to click...started and restarted the process multiple times and still no click - and by started and restarted, I mean I completely took the cross bars off, put them back on and tried turning the **** to get a click (first on passenger side, then drivers side, as per instructions). What in the world am I doing wrong???

Quick Reply: Official NX Roof Rack Options (Merged Threads)