NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Official NX Roof Rack Options (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-15, 10:21 PM
Fordrick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the Lexus roof racks and love the utility of carrying surfboards on top. I've noticed a lot of noise coming from the bars when I'm driving past 50 mph. More specifically it's a humming/whistling sound. Any suggestions? I've triple checked the instructions and they're installed right.
Old 08-29-15, 11:23 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I had the same issue with my 2002 RAV4 when I picked it up from the dealership (roof racks already installed).

Turns out the cross bars were installed backwards. They have a curve that if installed backwards, caused that noise. I removed them and flipped them over and reinstalled - noise went away.

I don't know if that's the same issue (or even possible to install backwards).
Old 08-30-15, 09:19 PM
Fordrick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by typocl
I had the same issue with my 2002 RAV4 when I picked it up from the dealership (roof racks already installed).

Turns out the cross bars were installed backwards. They have a curve that if installed backwards, caused that noise. I removed them and flipped them over and reinstalled - noise went away.

I don't know if that's the same issue (or even possible to install backwards).
I'll try switching them around. I noticed there are holes at the bottom of the bars by the footers. They're most likely the cause of the noise, I just have to find a way to plug them that's not an eye sore from looking up through the sunroof.
Old 08-31-15, 06:58 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fordrick
I'll try switching them around. I noticed there are holes at the bottom of the bars by the footers. They're most likely the cause of the noise, I just have to find a way to plug them that's not an eye sore from looking up through the sunroof.

Yes there are holes on the bottom and my set came with rubber to put in there after you have fitted them on the roof. I have not done it, but I don't notice any wind noise either, and I took it on a 4+ hour trip at 65 MPH+ a while back.

Phil
Old 08-31-15, 08:46 PM
wchen
Driver School Candidate

Anyone know when lexus may refresh the NX model? I want to buy the lexus roof rack for my NX but am afraid they will become obsolete with the next NX refresh. Thule does not offer anything for the NX currenty and I don't want to buy something I wont be able to use after my lease is up
Old 09-01-15, 07:16 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wchen
Anyone know when lexus may refresh the NX model? I want to buy the lexus roof rack for my NX but am afraid they will become obsolete with the next NX refresh. Thule does not offer anything for the NX currenty and I don't want to buy something I wont be able to use after my lease is up

The NX line just came out in 2015, I wouldn't expect a refresh after the 1st year, it usually takes 4-5 years from what I have seen in the past, but I could be off on that. Regardless I feel safe in saying it won't happen after year #1.

Phil
Old 09-01-15, 03:43 PM
wchen
Driver School Candidate

Can anyone provide some dimensions of their roof rack? The width and the clearance it gives?
Old 09-03-15, 06:30 AM
ClaudeNX
Rookie

Here is my NX with canoe, getting rear hitch next week so that I can secure canoe to hitch in rear
Drove 85 MPH to test and no vibrations so this works

Old 09-10-15, 09:12 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by StockTsi
Did anyone find any good cargo mats for the NX - Weathertech or otherwise?
I'm interested, too.
Old 09-10-15, 10:15 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Lexus makes a cargo mat, and I like it. WeatherTech also make's one now, but I haven't seen it, though I love their floor mats.

Phil
Old 09-10-15, 11:25 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StockTsi
Did anyone find any good cargo mats for the NX - Weathertech or otherwise?
On my previous 2 RX's I used the WeatherTech cargo mats.
However with my NX I found the Lexus mat much better. It's thicker and more rubbery to keep objects from sliding around. It also has the ridge around the outside to keep any spills contained.
I suggest you check it out at your Lexus dealer before making any purchase.
Old 09-10-15, 12:28 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Question

Originally Posted by 4482
...I found the Lexus mat much better. It's thicker and more rubbery to keep objects from sliding around. It also has the ridge around the outside...
Are you saying that the WeatherTech cargo mat for the NX does not have the side lip/ridge to contain liquid?
Old 09-10-15, 01:36 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
Are you saying that the WeatherTech cargo mat for the NX does not have the side lip/ridge to contain liquid?
No I never said anything about the WeatherTech which does have a lip/ridge also.
All in all I said I had the WeatherTech cargo mats in two RX's and think the cargo mat Lexus makes for the NX is better in my opinion.
Old 09-10-15, 01:50 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by 4482
No I never said anything about the WeatherTech which does have a lip/ridge also.
All in all I said I had the WeatherTech cargo mats in two RX's and think the cargo mat Lexus makes for the NX is better in my opinion.
After going back to re-read it, it makes sense now. I mis-read it originally.
Old 09-12-15, 12:01 PM
Tonyy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PizzZak

I would buy the OEM crossbars, they are pricey, but very easy to take on and off. I also believe they are Thule crossbars branded with the Lexus logo. I have Thule bike racks that fit with no problem and here is a pic with the Thule Force (medium) cargo box.
When ordering the crossbars, do they come with the feet to attach to the rails?

Tried doing the Buyer's Guide on the Thule website and shows nothing for the NX.

Quick Reply: Official NX Roof Rack Options (Merged Threads)