NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Ownership Experience - 200t Premium vs Regular Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-18, 01:56 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Premium, per the sticker. If it said "Premium Recommended", I would experiment with the three grades to see if there is a mileage/power difference, but it doesn't, so I'll stick with what is required.
Old 04-23-18, 08:11 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

You don't want to run with the knock sensor always retarding timing...it's not good for the engine long term.
The following users liked this post:
lexus114 (04-24-18)
Old 04-24-18, 08:15 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Agreed no1SomeGuy and especially when it is forced induction like these motors are.
no1SomeGuy (04-24-18)
Old 04-25-18, 07:18 AM
Bdwg22
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been using mid-grade fuel the past 2 years after using only premium the first year. Haven't noticed any difference. It's about 30 cents per gallon difference in NJ.
Old 04-25-18, 04:10 PM
Exzachly
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

87 only. That's what it calls for, so that's what it gets.
Old 04-25-18, 05:17 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Exzachly
87 only. That's what it calls for, so that's what it gets.
Uh no, it calls for 91.
Old 04-25-18, 06:03 PM
Exzachly
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy
Uh no, it calls for 91.
Not for the hybrid -- it only calls for 87. This is what I've been told directly from Lexus and is what I ran exclusively in my 2010 HS250h, without issue.

As someone else mentioned, run whatever makes you happy. I'm sticking to 87.
Old 04-25-18, 07:57 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Should have specified you had a hybrid.
Old 04-28-18, 01:08 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 225 Likes on 202 Posts

Ok, so I am the frugal one. So I DID run a tankful of 87.
And it's not worth it. Not that there was any performance decrease or noises or whatever. Aaahhh, maybe just a bit more sluggish.
But mpg dropped down. With that in mind, I figured I'd rather go back to 92. Trying to think... On 2nd only 92 octane tank... Mpg jumped up to 30.1 from 28.3. I'd say, I hit less traffic last few drives, that surely committed to better mpg yet...
As tempted as I am to save few bucks, I say I'd pass.
Old 04-28-18, 02:21 PM
Boomer1966
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Premium

My vote is for premium. I use Chevron 94, so far so good!
Old 04-28-18, 04:46 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,015 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Ok, so I am the frugal one. So I DID run a tankful of 87.
And it's not worth it. Not that there was any performance decrease or noises or whatever. Aaahhh, maybe just a bit more sluggish.
But mpg dropped down. With that in mind, I figured I'd rather go back to 92. Trying to think... On 2nd only 92 octane tank... Mpg jumped up to 30.1 from 28.3. I'd say, I hit less traffic last few drives, that surely committed to better mpg yet...
As tempted as I am to save few bucks, I say I'd pass.
For better or for worse, any judgments made after switching fuel grades for one or two tankfuls are meaningless.

First, it takes at least 4 or 5 tankfuls with a different fuel grade before the variable valve timing will have changed anything at all with regard to how the engine is burning fuel. Additionally, there are so many other factors that have an effect on fuel economy, including traffic conditions, outside temperature, average speeds driven, and the type of terrain over which the car is being driven. The only value of any conclusions made from driving for one or two tankfuls with a different fuel grade might be that they could serve as a confirmation bias if the fuel economy changes in a way consistent with what one already thinks it should change.

The reality is that there could well be a difference in fuel economy when using premium fuel compared to fuel economy using regular grade fuel, but, if the observed differences are greater than a few tenths of a mile per gallon, those differences are the result of something other than the change in fuel grade.
Old 04-30-18, 04:44 AM
sarhento
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What is so noticeable to me is the sluggishness of the response when using 89 as opposed to the highest premium grade. Saving as a result of using regular is even way down my consideration list. I just want the enjoyment/fun I experience when driving using premium.
lexus114 (04-30-18)
Old 04-30-18, 11:12 AM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
For better or for worse, any judgments made after switching fuel grades for one or two tankfuls are meaningless.

First, it takes at least 4 or 5 tankfuls with a different fuel grade before the variable valve timing will have changed anything at all with regard to how the engine is burning fuel. Additionally, there are so many other factors that have an effect on fuel economy, including traffic conditions, outside temperature, average speeds driven, and the type of terrain over which the car is being driven. The only value of any conclusions made from driving for one or two tankfuls with a different fuel grade might be that they could serve as a confirmation bias if the fuel economy changes in a way consistent with what one already thinks it should change.

The reality is that there could well be a difference in fuel economy when using premium fuel compared to fuel economy using regular grade fuel, but, if the observed differences are greater than a few tenths of a mile per gallon, those differences are the result of something other than the change in fuel grade.
Unfortunately, you’ve got it wrong. Variable valve timing has nothing to do with fuel grade.

The difference between 87 and 93 is not just in specific detergents to maintain fuel injectors but, more important, in resistance of gasoline, mixed with air, to ignite spontaneously under compression. This is early and uncontrolled ignition - explosion.

Ignition process takes time, vs explosion that is almost instant. Explosion in the cylinder causes hard shock through piston to wrist pin, to connecting rod, to crank shaft, etc. If left for long enough, this can destroy the engine.

Different engines have different compression ratio. Some designed for 87, others for 93. To prevent early ignition, there is engine knock sensor. It detects spontaneous explosion that results in knocking, as result of incorrect fuel type. The sensor sends the signal to ECU (engine computer) to adjust timing to compensate for this, thus preventing engine damage. However, this compensation results in reduced power. Since the driver does not want to feel sluggish acceleration, he presses gas pedal harder, reducing MPG. So, when using 87 in engine designed for 93, you will see instantaneous MPG drop and, on the long run, risk the engine damage.

I did not include many details not to make that post way to long, but there is ton of articles about this, just do the search.
no1SomeGuy (04-30-18)
Old 04-30-18, 01:15 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by sarhento
Do you only use premium fuel?
When I owned the NX, I tried 87 and a 89 a couple of times but found it was not worth it. Slight loss of power and slight decrease in fuel economy.

But I know where you're coming from since, in Canada, 91 octane is close to 20 cents more per liter or >12$ more per tank! It adds up.
Old 04-30-18, 03:33 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,015 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
Unfortunately, you’ve got it wrong. Variable valve timing has nothing to do with fuel grade.

The difference between 87 and 93 is not just in specific detergents to maintain fuel injectors but, more important, in resistance of gasoline, mixed with air, to ignite spontaneously under compression. This is early and uncontrolled ignition - explosion.

Ignition process takes time, vs explosion that is almost instant. Explosion in the cylinder causes hard shock through piston to wrist pin, to connecting rod, to crank shaft, etc. If left for long enough, this can destroy the engine.

Different engines have different compression ratio. Some designed for 87, others for 93. To prevent early ignition, there is engine knock sensor. It detects spontaneous explosion that results in knocking, as result of incorrect fuel type. The sensor sends the signal to ECU (engine computer) to adjust timing to compensate for this, thus preventing engine damage. However, this compensation results in reduced power. Since the driver does not want to feel sluggish acceleration, he presses gas pedal harder, reducing MPG. So, when using 87 in engine designed for 93, you will see instantaneous MPG drop and, on the long run, risk the engine damage.

I did not include many details not to make that post way to long, but there is ton of articles about this, just do the search.
I don't disagree with anything that you have said, but what you have said is not related to the key point of my post, which is that there are multiple factors that have an effect of fuel economy, and any conclusions related to an increase or a decrease in fuel economy that are based on one or two tankfuls of a different grade of fuel are meaningless, and that is true regardless of the fuel grade with which the engine was designed to perform optimally.

Quick Reply: Ownership Experience - 200t Premium vs Regular Fuel