NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Features that are available on NX internationally but not in US

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-15, 07:18 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

To the OP, also missing on top of the others listed above:

- Leather F Sport seats (and with ventilation)
- Auto engine Start/Stop on the 200t
- Different wheel options
Old 02-16-15, 08:32 PM
ghylxdw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
To the OP, also missing on top of the others listed above:

- Leather F Sport seats (and with ventilation)
- Auto engine Start/Stop on the 200t
- Different wheel options
Thank you Corrado! Oh yes I know the real leather is not provided in the US, but I don't know that the F Sport seat is not even ventilated? And we cannot add an optional package to make the F sport seats ventilated?... Why Lexus USA is making so many options unavailable on F Sport model?..

Thanks!
Old 02-17-15, 12:01 AM
dunebuggy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ghylxdw
Hi dunebuggy,
Thank you so much for the detailed information from Australia
By the way, can you have both F sport and luxury package in Australia? (It's impossible to have both features from F Sport package and luxury package here in US, which is something I don't understand either)
No problem
And so, the packages in Australia....

Luxury
This is the base model, which is still more luxurious and incredible than the top model of any cheaper SUV. You can add 1 enhancement pack to it (Moonroof), but that's all. But even so, this is a killer vehicle with so many toys, that it's the dream of anyone buying a top line sub-luxury SUV. So we should always remember how lucky we are to be considering NXs in the first place really Hence the very reason why the BASE model is called LUXURY.

F-Sport
"F-Sport" is "Luxury" + all the sporty stuff. Most importantly, the stuff that changes how the car drives - "Sport S+" and AVS.
You can upgrade F-Sport further via 2 enhancement packs. Between them they add Mark Levinson, Moonroof, HUD, and all the remaining electronic nanny aids.
The only feature that you absolutely CANNOT get in F-Sport, is the power folding rear seat.

Sports Luxury
This includes most of the features you get in F-Sport + enhancement packs. Plus adds power folding rear seat.
However, here's a surprise. It does NOT include:
- "F-Sport" badges
- "F Sport" seats (as far as I can tell)
- Probably other F-Sport things
- Boost Meter
- G Force Meter

"Sports Luxury" is not "Everything from F-Sport + more stuff". Sports Luxury is designed to be more plush than rush. There are no enhancement packs for Sports Luxury.
The lack of fun toys like the G Force Meter, drew my child-like attention straight back to the F-Sport

Conclusion
I suspect that in Australia, the Sports Luxury will be the least popular config.
Firstly because it's the dearest.
Secondly because F-Sport + packs = better (IMHO)
And thirdly because even the base model Luxury includes so many toys in a car like this. It gets to the point where most rational people will ask themselves "Do I really need...?"

The most worthwhile upgrade here is "F-Sport" itself, without a doubt. All other packs are non essential unless you really must have a moonroof, mark levinson or HUD for literally thousands of extra dollars.
And the problem here is:
- People hardly ever use their moonroofs
- HUD isn't as impressive (at least to me) as I was expecting. My wife's words were literally "Oh, is that it?". And it doesn't do anything the other digital displays don't do.
- Mark Levinson pack is waaaay dearer, for...slightly better sound? Plus you could fit your own audio/speakers upgrade for less, later, if you want.

Originally Posted by Pesttt
I can tell you for the little over 2 weeks that I've had it, the AVS makes a big difference when driving in "Sport +" mode. Minimizes body roll on cornering, stiffer suspension when needed (on road imperfections). In the end, it makes the F Sport that much more fun to drive...and in Montreal there are a lot of imperfections on the roads.
This is awesome to hear

DB.

PS. Any errors in the above, please correct me.

Last edited by dunebuggy; 02-17-15 at 12:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
astinus4 (04-16-17)
Old 02-17-15, 01:25 AM
Nights
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ghylxdw
Hi dunebuggy,

Thank you so much for the detailed information from Australia

Yeah I understand these features will cost me more money, but what I don't understand is why Lexus doesn't put them as options, rather than making them unavailable in US

By the way, can you have both F sport and luxury package in Australia? (It's impossible to have both features from F Sport package and luxury package here in US, which is something I don't understand either)

One more question, what's the driving experience with the AVS? Is it significantly helpful?

Thanks!
You can get a fully loaded F Sport that has every possible NX option on it (other than the power rear seats) in Australia.

I have an F Sport, and the AVS is quite nice - feels very similar to the 3IS F Sport imo. I didn't test drive the non F Sport though, so not sure what the base suspension is like.
Old 02-17-15, 01:33 AM
Nights
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dunebuggy
No problem
And so, the packages in Australia....

Luxury
This is the base model, which is still more luxurious and incredible than the top model of any cheaper SUV. You can add 1 enhancement pack to it (Moonroof), but that's all. But even so, this is a killer vehicle with so many toys, that it's the dream of anyone buying a top line sub-luxury SUV. So we should always remember how lucky we are to be considering NXs in the first place really Hence the very reason why the BASE model is called LUXURY.

F-Sport
"F-Sport" is "Luxury" + all the sporty stuff. Most importantly, the stuff that changes how the car drives - "Sport S+" and AVS.
You can upgrade F-Sport further via 2 enhancement packs. Between them they add Mark Levinson, Moonroof, HUD, and all the remaining electronic nanny aids.
The only feature that you absolutely CANNOT get in F-Sport, is the power folding rear seat.

Sports Luxury
This includes most of the features you get in F-Sport + enhancement packs. Plus adds power folding rear seat.
However, here's a surprise. It does NOT include:
- "F-Sport" badges
- "F Sport" seats (as far as I can tell)
- Probably other F-Sport things
- Boost Meter
- G Force Meter

"Sports Luxury" is not "Everything from F-Sport + more stuff". Sports Luxury is designed to be more plush than rush. There are no enhancement packs for Sports Luxury.
The lack of fun toys like the G Force Meter, drew my child-like attention straight back to the F-Sport

Conclusion
I suspect that in Australia, the Sports Luxury will be the least popular config.
Firstly because it's the dearest.
Secondly because F-Sport + packs = better (IMHO)
And thirdly because even the base model Luxury includes so many toys in a car like this. It gets to the point where most rational people will ask themselves "Do I really need...?"

The most worthwhile upgrade here is "F-Sport" itself, without a doubt. All other packs are non essential unless you really must have a moonroof, mark levinson or HUD for literally thousands of extra dollars.
And the problem here is:
- HUD isn't as impressive (at least to me) as I was expecting. My wife's words were literally "Oh, is that it?". And it doesn't do anything the other digital displays don't do.
- Mark Levinson pack is waaaay dearer, for...slightly better sound? Plus you could fit your own audio/speakers upgrade for less, later, if you want.

This is awesome to hear

DB.

PS. Any errors in the above, please correct me.
Nice summary DB

Although I must say, the EP2 is worthwhile if you want the safety/convenience gizmos ie. LKA, PCS, ACC, AHB etc. And I must admit, whilst I've been driving my wife's NX, with the new HUD, I rarely look at the normal instruments anymore given that it displays radio/media/sat nav/gear/power etc all at once.

They are just gadgets though, so depends on what you value. The standard kit list is already very long, and imo the F Sport visual package and suspension alone are worth the upgrade over the non F Sport (not to mention they come with the triple LEDs, pano camera and the better looking wheels).
Old 02-17-15, 03:43 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

And the problem here is:
I use mine in all my cars all the time. If its above 40F, my roof is either tilted or entirely open.

What exactly did you expect it to show? A heads up was created to allow you to not need to look down at your speedo and tach. It was a track oriented design that Chevrolet has been using on the better side of 10 yrs in their corvettes. Its just people with daily drivers said "oh, thats a cool thing...I want it", so then it appeared in the average daily driver. It came factory in my camaro and I never turn it off. Its so much easier to look at the HUD when doing a full pull than taking your eyes off the road to look down.

Agree.
Old 02-17-15, 01:32 PM
dunebuggy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nights
Nice summary DB

Although I must say, the EP2 is worthwhile if you want the safety/convenience gizmos ie. LKA, PCS, ACC, AHB etc. And I must admit, whilst I've been driving my wife's NX, with the new HUD, I rarely look at the normal instruments anymore given that it displays radio/media/sat nav/gear/power etc all at once.
Cheers I hope I got most of the details right. I may have left out that Sports Luxury interior somehow also offers "more leather" and even "wood grain".

And yes, I think if we had the option to pick and choose individual features, there are a couple of those extras I *may* have added. Maybe even the HUD, despite my wife's impression (and based on what you guys have said about it here).

I do sometimes wonder though whether some of the assistance features are softening driver skill, despite offering convenience. Others will disagree I am sure.
Old 02-24-15, 02:20 PM
starbai
Intermediate

Gotta save SOME stuff for the MMC no?
Old 02-24-15, 07:16 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Lexus has a bad reputation for leaving available features off the list on first and second model years of a new generation of cars. For example, 2013 Lexus GS does not have power trunk and auto folding mirrors but the 2014 does, but then again the 2015 GSs have birds eyeview navigation and reverse backup lines with trajectory lines that the 2014 did not get. All while other countries may have almost all these extra features but not available to USA.
Id say if an option is available internationally then it should also be availble in USA and vice versa.
Old 03-02-15, 06:29 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

-Surround view. Why they forgot this one is beyond me? Unless of course their is a camera shortage but still a couple years ago I`d understand stand but now eh?
-8 Speed. 6 Speed in this class is poor offering. they need to bump up those 2 gears up.
Old 03-03-15, 04:02 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
-Surround view. Why they forgot this one is beyond me? Unless of course their is a camera shortage but still a couple years ago I`d understand stand but now eh?
-8 Speed. 6 Speed in this class is poor offering. they need to bump up those 2 gears up.
Not trying to contradict you, but these are my thoughts on the following:

Surround View - Why? Its a small car and you should be capable of parking it with a combination of your moving head and a backup camera. We have become far too dependent upon technology and are losing basic skills.

8 speed tranny - Relatively unneeded. Furthermore, if they gave it an 8 speed, people would then begin to complain that that car was "always shifting". I'd rather have a tried and true 6 speed than being a "tech curve" leader with an 8 speed. The IS-F guys bellyache all the time about the 8 speed.

Last edited by Swacer; 03-03-15 at 04:54 AM.
Old 03-03-15, 05:24 AM
athiker
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re: Surround View I have mixed feelings. I test drove a Rogue with it and thought it was cool as heck. I spent nearly 20 years in Chicago, much of it living and working in the city, so trust me I know how to parallel park...but its still pretty nice.

To Swacer's point I sometimes wonder if back up cameras, blind spot monitoring, surround view, etc. will slow the learning curve and true awareness of new drivers...like my kids. Will they ever learn to use their mirrors correctly or get a true "feel" for the dimensions of their vehicles.

We got our first vehicle with rear view camera about 6 months ago and I'm still unsure when backing out where I'm supposed to look...my mirrors or the camera! I kind of prided myself on easily backing out of long twisty driveways using my mirrors before...still getting used to using/trusting/blending in the use of a camera.

Things don't stand still though and cameras/tech in all forms on vehicles are not going away, I'd rather have more choice than less when it comes to available features. We also have BSM on our latest vehicle and I think its great (and yes, I know how to adjust and use my mirrors so that there is no true "blind spot").
Old 03-03-15, 06:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Some of these features, especially the 8 speed transmission are things that can be added at the mid cycle refresh.
Old 03-03-15, 06:59 AM
paul29
Driver School Candidate

It will not be long and the outside mirrors will be cameras, with no blind spot on the interior screen. This will also cut down on air drag and wind noise. What's taking so long for this to appear?
Old 03-03-15, 12:04 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I do agree that relying solely on tech is asking for trouble, but 2 points in order of importance:
1) It's convenient to have a backup mechanism when the drive is hectic or at the end of a busy workday.
2) when Lexus is out to out to capture the market dominated by the Germans specially as tech laden as say an x3 it needs to match the flexibility and tech they offer. They do this in other markets just not here for some reason.

In regards to the 8 speed true the transmission isn't perfect but they have plenty of options nowadays. Take for instance the 8 speed from ZF which has gathered rave reviews. If its gonna take a LCI for them to get it right ehh? Same with the acc, without full speed range.

The active suspension Would also be nice but when I did a comparo between a f sport and a dhp x3 the only times I felt a big enough difference was
in sport + for the dhp x3 (x3 was on rails vs the f sport)
and
comfort mode for dhp (x3 was less firm then then f sport)

Quick Reply: Features that are available on NX internationally but not in US