NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

The Unofficial Aftermarket Wheel Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-17, 11:01 AM
PK Auto Design
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Renaeis250
Does anyone know if 20x9 offset 32 will work on the NX ?
Depending on the style yes

If you need any help let me know I would be happy to help you out.
Old 11-29-17, 09:34 AM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey guys, I want to share my experience with you guys about tires and balancing.

I had installed a new set of wheels and A/T tires (I know, I know, most of you wont do this type of tires on your NX) in August this year (2017). It is a very reputable local shop with high Yelp reviews and word of mouth recommendations. I felt a very slight vibration at 70mph+ in the beginning, but I thought it was negligible. About 2500-3000 miles later, the vibration at highway speeds got worse and you can feel it shaking throughout the cabin.

I took it back to the shop, and had them rebalance it twice, but still the same. Frustrated, and not going to take it to the shop a THIRD time, I contacted Toyo Tires. They provided a solution: the tires should be match mounted on the rims and balanced on a Road Force machine at speed. The little yellow dot should line up to the valve stem to minimize the amount of weights needed to balance the wheels. Took it to America's Tire to do the service and voilà! PROBLEM SOLVED! Smooth ride and fast driving and no vibrations!

Here is a link to the TSB TOYO TIRES TSB (.pdf)

The yellow dot may rub off when cleaning or using the tire gloss, so I drew in the arrows to point out the circle.
The following 3 users liked this post by d8168055:
HI2TX (11-06-20), ltsr (05-28-19), PK Auto Design (11-29-17)
Old 01-03-18, 03:39 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking for someone that tried a wheel bigger in outside diameter than factory, which is 28.5" on my NX. Anyone?
Old 01-03-18, 04:33 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by d8168055
Hey guys, I want to share my experience with you guys about tires and balancing.

I had installed a new set of wheels and A/T tires (I know, I know, most of you wont do this type of tires on your NX) in August this year (2017). It is a very reputable local shop with high Yelp reviews and word of mouth recommendations. I felt a very slight vibration at 70mph+ in the beginning, but I thought it was negligible. About 2500-3000 miles later, the vibration at highway speeds got worse and you can feel it shaking throughout the cabin.

I took it back to the shop, and had them rebalance it twice, but still the same. Frustrated, and not going to take it to the shop a THIRD time, I contacted Toyo Tires. They provided a solution: the tires should be match mounted on the rims and balanced on a Road Force machine at speed. The little yellow dot should line up to the valve stem to minimize the amount of weights needed to balance the wheels. Took it to America's Tire to do the service and voilà! PROBLEM SOLVED! Smooth ride and fast driving and no vibrations!

Here is a link to the TSB TOYO TIRES TSB (.pdf)

The yellow dot may rub off when cleaning or using the tire gloss, so I drew in the arrows to point out the circle.
Wait.. had to say something.
Ok, this "rim matching" shouldn't be a "technical service bulletin", as if it's some odd bit of rare information that a tech or engineer stumbled upon one day by accident, and it happened to solve an otherwise unsolvable problem, and they had to release a TSB to fix this type of thing lol. It's a SUPER ULTRA WIDELY known fact, that the yellow dot has a reason, and that even the lowliest tire "demount/remount" monkey at a tire shop knows this on their first day of work. And if they tried to rebalance it TWICE without trying this, I would have RUN FULL BORE in the opposite direction never to return to this shop again. I mean REALLY?? They tried twice without suggesting this to you? And their road force machine didn't find this shimmy or tramp on the first try and they let you out of the shop like that day one? Very disturbing.... The lack of pride and integrity in the local shops is a let down... (which is why my father went to the local trade school to learn it himself, and why I went to college for auto technology; because of this very reason. noone gives a crap about doing anything right any more.)

Last edited by Buddiiee; 01-03-18 at 04:53 AM.
Old 01-08-18, 04:14 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddiiee
Wait.. had to say something.
Ok, this "rim matching" shouldn't be a "technical service bulletin", as if it's some odd bit of rare information that a tech or engineer stumbled upon one day by accident, and it happened to solve an otherwise unsolvable problem, and they had to release a TSB to fix this type of thing lol. It's a SUPER ULTRA WIDELY known fact, that the yellow dot has a reason, and that even the lowliest tire "demount/remount" monkey at a tire shop knows this on their first day of work. And if they tried to rebalance it TWICE without trying this, I would have RUN FULL BORE in the opposite direction never to return to this shop again. I mean REALLY?? They tried twice without suggesting this to you? And their road force machine didn't find this shimmy or tramp on the first try and they let you out of the shop like that day one? Very disturbing.... The lack of pride and integrity in the local shops is a let down... (which is why my father went to the local trade school to learn it himself, and why I went to college for auto technology; because of this very reason. noone gives a crap about doing anything right any more.)
According to the shop I used that has a Road Force ELITE machine the -yellow dot - is just a reference point. The rim still has to be matched up. I know my truck a local shop put my tires on and balanced them. The truck shook at 60mph. I went to Hunter's site and found a Road Force elite machine which was also close by they rebalanced them the guy told me the other shop put WAY too much weight on them. Truck is smooth as butter now only one tire has the yellow dot lined up. I also bought wheels and tires for my NX and do not have all the boxes open but I'm pretty sure they are not lined up either. - Maybe he will chime in here on the yellow dots , btw there is also a red dot on each tire too. - I highly recommend always getting tired road force balanced if not make sure they are at least using Hunter equipment. BTW Hunter RFB machines are not new....

What is a red dot on a tire?
The overall light static balance point of the tire. In other words, it's as though the tireis a bit lighter in the area where the yellow dot is located. The Red dot on your tireside wall indicates: it's a way of indicating where the centrifugal force tending to pull the rotating tire away from the wheel is greatest.

Yellow dot : This will help minimize the amount of weight needed to balance a tire and wheel assembly. So usually, whenever you see a yellow dot, match it up with the valve stem. This is always true except in cases where a red dot also appears in the lower sidewall.
Old 01-08-18, 09:35 AM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom59
I went to Hunter's site and found a Road Force elite machine which was also close by they rebalanced them the guy told me the other shop put WAY too much weight on them. Truck is smooth as butter now only one tire has the yellow dot lined up.
Yes, my first shop did this as well.. they had put a strip of ~10 weights and then another 6 ON TOP of that. The shop did not have a Road Force Elite machine, nor did they line up the yellow dot, and hence the vibration and the excessive amount of weight.
The following users liked this post:
Tom59 (04-08-19)
Old 02-02-18, 04:28 PM
jdt
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I plan on getting the 20 inch rx 350 f sport wheels on my nx once the winter finishes. Will they be a direct swap without any adjustments or extras? Also what tire size should I get for no rubbing. I also have mud-flaps installed so not sure if that will affect overall size. Thanks.
Old 02-02-18, 04:50 PM
datpimp007
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jdt
I plan on getting the 20 inch rx 350 f sport wheels on my nx once the winter finishes. Will they be a direct swap without any adjustments or extras? Also what tire size should I get for no rubbing. I also have mud-flaps installed so not sure if that will affect overall size. Thanks.
RX350 F Sport wheels won't fit. Please don't. Thanks!
Old 02-02-18, 04:52 PM
datpimp007
Driver

@jdt just kidding. It's not a direct swap as you'll need different size tires. Search the thread and you'll see it's been done. Pretty sure I was the first then one or two members followed suit. Like they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
The following users liked this post:
jdt (02-02-18)
Old 02-02-18, 05:22 PM
jdt
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by datpimp007
@jdt just kidding. It's not a direct swap as you'll need different size tires. Search the thread and you'll see it's been done. Pretty sure I was the first then one or two members followed suit. Like they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Saw your posts and it looks amazing! Mind me asking if the wheel spec is 20x8.5 with +35 offset? How is the ride compared to the oem 18s?
Old 02-02-18, 06:11 PM
datpimp007
Driver

Originally Posted by jdt
Saw your posts and it looks amazing! Mind me asking if the wheel spec is 20x8.5 with +35 offset? How is the ride compared to the oem 18s?
No difference. Feels like the same ride as before. But also have a bike rack and the Apexi exhaust so it's not a quiet stock feel. Also I'm reaching 40 so my senses may be off.
Old 02-04-18, 12:27 PM
kukudm
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by datpimp007
No difference. Feels like the same ride as before. But also have a bike rack and the Apexi exhaust so it's not a quiet stock feel. Also I'm reaching 40 so my senses may be off.
Do you remember approximately how heavy those RX f-sport wheels are? Maybe comparing it to the OEM NX wheels, how much heavier they are? I'm interested in RX 20" F-sport wheels too, but just concerned about unsprung weight.
Old 02-04-18, 01:15 PM
datpimp007
Driver

Originally Posted by kukudm
Do you remember approximately how heavy those RX f-sport wheels are? Maybe comparing it to the OEM NX wheels, how much heavier they are? I'm interested in RX 20" F-sport wheels too, but just concerned about unsprung weight.
No clue really. CorradoMR2 would be the best person to ask. He's the resident wheel guru and was the one who guided me on fitment questions.
Old 02-27-18, 06:55 PM
F350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will this work 20x8.5 +45 ? tires will be 255/45/20 , im just afraid it might hit the suspension parts or the inner wheel well

car will not be lowered
Old 05-15-18, 09:01 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,165 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by badkulo
Hi, just got my Nebula grey Fsport two months ago and wanted to share my wheel setup with you guys.

Wheels:
AMR Dark Stainless 20X8.5 et+30mm

Tires:
Yokohmama Parada Spec X 245/50/20
I know it's 3.5% bigger than oem but tire rack had a sick deal on the for $131 each so I took a gamble.

Suspension :
RSR down Springs lowering the car about 1.5 in. No rubbing.

Inspirational. I like this a lot. This makes me really want an NX. Well done. This has a nice balance to it visually. Not too weak, not too strong and overpowering. Just perfect. And the tires look great too.

Quick Reply: The Unofficial Aftermarket Wheel Thread