NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Lexus tops Consumer Reports once again

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-15, 12:48 PM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lexus tops Consumer Reports once again

Lexus is ranked #1 again by Consumer reports. Guess they did not fuss too much abou the 2015 NX test vehicle loaned to CR crapping out on them (electrical issues).

ARTICLE: https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...174501201.html

and

'Consumer Reports' brand rating: Lexus best, Fiat worst
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...fiat/23910563/

GRAPHIC:
Old 02-24-15, 01:10 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the outlier that shocks me is Scion.

I wonder what brings that portion of Toyota down so far. I miss our tC, was a great quality car for the price.
Old 02-24-15, 01:49 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
I think the outlier that shocks me is Scion.

I wonder what brings that portion of Toyota down so far. I miss our tC, was a great quality car for the price.
Yeah, I'm surprised too. My dad had an '11 Scion tC and apart from the high noise levels, was well built and reliable.

Mazda surprises me since several owners that I know including family has had some issue or another from electrical to engine piston misfires in their 4-5 year old 3s and 6s.

Audi is definitely upping their game. If they had the same reliability as Lexus, they'd be number 1.
Old 02-24-15, 01:50 PM
Rdcrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chrysler is running ads comparing their cars to Japanese and German luxury brands and saying that they make reliable cars - yet 4 of the bottom 6 are Fiat/Chrysler brands.
Old 02-24-15, 02:10 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Yeah, I'm surprised too. My dad had an '11 Scion tC and apart from the high noise levels, was well built and reliable.

Mazda surprises me since several owners that I know including family has had some issue or another from electrical to engine piston misfires in their 4-5 year old 3s and 6s.

Audi is definitely upping their game. If they had the same reliability as Lexus, they'd be number 1.
Add me to that list of mazda owners. Have a 2006 mazda 3 with 110k miles and it's absolute junk. I count the days till the NX arrives so I can dump it.

If I wasn't handy, this thing would have cost thousands in the 3 yrs I have owned it.

Where is my Lexus??
Old 02-24-15, 02:11 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I bought a new '06 tC in late 2005. While it was a fun car, I had it in the shop for warranty repairs 16 times in less than 2 years. Granted that was almost 10 years ago. I always assumed I got a rather "unique" one and it was not representative of the brand.
Old 02-24-15, 02:21 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Rdcrow
Chrysler is running ads comparing their cars to Japanese and German luxury brands and saying that they make reliable cars - yet 4 of the bottom 6 are Fiat/Chrysler brands.
It's too bad Chrysler just can't get out of this hole more so than Ford or GM who have shown better reliability improvements. The expectation that FIAT would revive the brand has come through from a product lineup perspective, but clearly not in reliability. Fix It Again Tony !

Add me to that list of mazda owners. Have a 2006 mazda 3 with 110k miles and it's absolute junk. I count the days till the NX arrives so I can dump it.

If I wasn't handy, this thing would have cost thousands in the 3 yrs I have owned it.

Where is my Lexus??
My brother had the 2.3L 4cyl entirely replaced in his 5-speed 3 GT at 87k km due to a piston seized. It was a fun to drive, very nimble car though!

Originally Posted by JDR76
I bought a new '06 tC in late 2005. While it was a fun car, I had it in the shop for warranty repairs 16 times in less than 2 years. Granted that was almost 10 years ago. I always assumed I got a rather "unique" one and it was not representative of the brand.
Wow, what were some of the more serious issues?
Old 02-24-15, 02:27 PM
dunebuggy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Go Jeep!

It's good to see Jeep still going so well. I have known about their "quality" for quite some time.

Here's a fun Jeep story...

About 10 years ago, a friend of mine had a brand new Jeep Cherokee. She was a horsey girl and her hobby was horse "show jumping", so the Jeep was both her plush ride to horse events and something to hitch the horse trailer to. She told me how one day she parked the Jeep at a horse show venue, and it was a particularly hot day in summertime. The car was parked on grass.

At the end of the day she returned to the car, to find that both the driver's and passenger's side window were...missing. Then she spotted the windows - lying on the grass beside the car. Neither window was broken. Both windows had literally fallen out of the car door frames due to the heat of the day.

The incident later happened to her again, while parked at another horse show on another hot day. Quality.

Then, on a third hot horse show day, her vehicle literally caught fire...

OK, I made that up. But the window stuff is a 100% true story. She just used to laugh about it - mainly because she'd actually won the Jeep as a prize in a competition. At first I was envious, but later, less so I suspect she'd have felt pretty differently if she'd bought the car with her own cash.
Old 02-24-15, 02:55 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ I was going to say that pic above is a Wrangler/TJ !
Old 02-24-15, 03:03 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Where is my Lexus??
Mazda may have improved things in recent model years. I had a 2011with zero issues in 4+ years. Only routine maintenance. No warranty or TSB work. Great car, we still miss it.
Old 02-24-15, 03:21 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Wow, what were some of the more serious issues?
Lots of nagging little issues. Some of them include:

Headlight moisture
Rattling sunroof
Rattling liftgate
Buzzing dashboard
Stuck engine thermostat
Stereo display went out

Not factory related, but I had the dealer install a TRD Supercharger and that was replaced for bad bearings.

It was a shame because I really enjoyed the car otherwise.
Old 02-24-15, 03:35 PM
dunebuggy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cb80923
Btw...
Does anyone else find it strange the Yahoo article bangs on about Tesla being "top", when that only refers to model itself - not the brand?

Surely the bigger story is which brand is the best overall? Lexus isn't even mentioned in the headline.
Old 02-25-15, 04:14 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Mazda may have improved things in recent model years. I had a 2011with zero issues in 4+ years. Only routine maintenance. No warranty or TSB work. Great car, we still miss it.
The more Mazda has separated themselves from Ford, the more success they have had.

From most people I know who have or had mazdas, their sweet period is the first 5 years. Then it starts going down hill apparently. Most traded in at that point or had their lease come up as issues started to appear.

Mine is a 2006 Mazda 3s hatch, and at 9 yrs old, she's showing A LOT of wear and tear in spaces it shouldn't.

Comparison, before my wife's tC was totalled last fall by some jackass, we had a running comparison between the 2006 Mazda3 and 2006 tC. At almost equal miles, you almost couldn't compare them. People thought they were several years apart. The Mazda has rust issues, rattles inside all the time, has interior LEDs out, CD changer is holding 6 of my cds hostage, eats brakes and rotors, clutch and transmission are terrible, eats wheel bearings and other parts (such as the purge valve) constantly. The tC, at 104k miles when she died, had no rust to speak of, was yet to require any work outside of normal maintenance. That little Toyota was a dream.

Lets just say, if I'm going to go Japanese, i shall not return to mazda ever again.

My other gripe with mazda is that they feel they are "luxury" in some way. And they openly charge you labor based on that. On Christmas eve of 2013, i got a CEL, and after getting gas, the car wouldn't restart. After doing some research, i found it was the purge valve and was an epic mazda fail on these cars. So I called mazda to get a price point and they wanted $450 to do the work. So I said hell with that, bought the part on an OEM mazda site for $75, and installed it in 15 mins. Crooks.

Last edited by Swacer; 02-25-15 at 04:21 AM.
Old 02-25-15, 05:05 AM
IgorUA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunebuggy
It's good to see Jeep still going so well. I have known about their "quality" for quite some time.

Here's a fun Jeep story...

About 10 years ago, a friend of mine had a brand new Jeep Cherokee. She was a horsey girl and her hobby was horse "show jumping", so the Jeep was both her plush ride to horse events and something to hitch the horse trailer to. She told me how one day she parked the Jeep at a horse show venue, and it was a particularly hot day in summertime. The car was parked on grass.

At the end of the day she returned to the car, to find that both the driver's and passenger's side window were...missing. Then she spotted the windows - lying on the grass beside the car. Neither window was broken. Both windows had literally fallen out of the car door frames due to the heat of the day.

The incident later happened to her again, while parked at another horse show on another hot day. Quality.

Then, on a third hot horse show day, her vehicle literally caught fire...

OK, I made that up. But the window stuff is a 100% true story. She just used to laugh about it - mainly because she'd actually won the Jeep as a prize in a competition. At first I was envious, but later, less so I suspect she'd have felt pretty differently if she'd bought the car with her own cash.
I totally agree with old jeeps the quality wasn't something you would expect from a jeep. However, now jeep makes some great cars, well at least they are trying. My father leases a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and i love that damn car. With the NY winter this year i haven't touched a shovel once to try to get out of snow. The car is comfortable, drives great and it looks awesome inside out.
Old 02-25-15, 05:24 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

The more Mazda has separated themselves from Ford, the more success they have had.

From most people I know who have or had mazdas, their sweet period is the first 5 years. Then it starts going down hill apparently. Most traded in at that point or had their lease come up as issues started to appear.

Mine is a 2006 Mazda 3s hatch, and at 9 yrs old, she's showing A LOT of wear and tear in spaces it shouldn't.

Comparison, before my wife's tC was totalled last fall by some jackass, we had a running comparison between the 2006 Mazda3 and 2006 tC. At almost equal miles, you almost couldn't compare them. People thought they were several years apart. The Mazda has rust issues, rattles inside all the time, has interior LEDs out, CD changer is holding 6 of my cds hostage, eats brakes and rotors, clutch and transmission are terrible, eats wheel bearings and other parts (such as the purge valve) constantly. The tC, at 104k miles when she died, had no rust to speak of, was yet to require any work outside of normal maintenance. That little Toyota was a dream.

Lets just say, if I'm going to go Japanese, i shall not return to mazda ever again.

My other gripe with mazda is that they feel they are "luxury" in some way. And they openly charge you labor based on that. On Christmas eve of 2013, i got a CEL, and after getting gas, the car wouldn't restart. After doing some research, i found it was the purge valve and was an epic mazda fail on these cars. So I called mazda to get a price point and they wanted $450 to do the work. So I said hell with that, bought the part on an OEM mazda site for $75, and installed it in 15 mins. Crooks.
Yeah, our Mazda ownership experience was completely different. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. When we bought our current car I briefly looked at the Mazda6 but wanted to go in a different direction this time. I wouldn't rule out a Mazda 3, 6 or CX-5 in the future depending on our needs etc.

Quick Reply: Lexus tops Consumer Reports once again