NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Tiny scratches in windshield

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-15, 05:37 AM
Rdcrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tiny scratches in windshield

The left side of my windshield has a number of tiny scratches. They're not deep - you can't feel them with a fingernail. I really only notice them at night when light hits them. But they are annoying. I'm not sure what could cause these as I haven't run any kind of brush or anything over the windshield. When it's covered in snow, I clean it off by hand. When there's ice, I let the defroster melt it off.

I know these can probably be buffed or polished out but I don't feel as if a one month old car should be getting these scratches.
Old 02-26-15, 06:40 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Your windshield wipers did it. It happens to ALL cars. You probably ran the wipers when there was something on the wiper blade and it dragged it across the glass.

Modern windshields are being made with cheaper and cheaper glass, so they scratch and chip much easier.

Just the nature of your car being built by the lowest bidder sadly.
Old 02-26-15, 09:24 AM
Rdcrow
Driver

Originally Posted by Swacer
Your windshield wipers did it. It happens to ALL cars. You probably ran the wipers when there was something on the wiper blade and it dragged it across the glass.

Modern windshields are being made with cheaper and cheaper glass, so they scratch and chip much easier.

I thought that the wipers may have done it, but the scratches are vertical and most are in areas not touched by the wipers.
Old 02-26-15, 09:30 AM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are glass polishing kits (I've used Diamondite). A good detailers should be able to improve or fix it.
Old 02-26-15, 12:11 PM
athiker
Rookie

Originally Posted by Swacer

Interesting observation, not a great trend. One of the vehicles I looked pretty closely at was the Mazda CX-5. Numerous complaints about how easily the windshields of most have cracked and even unexplained no known impact cracking. Problem seems to especially appear in models equipped with their city braking option which is somehow mounted to/in windshield.

Very mixed reports on Mazda dealers response re: who pays for repair/replacement.

In over 30 years of driving I have never had a windshield crack...well other than cracking one from inside out by jamming a 2 x 10 on the dash and trying to close the tail gate on my Trooper! That didn't work out so well... But until just recently by newest car was a 2005.

Last edited by athiker; 02-26-15 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-28-15, 11:50 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove through a sand storm in Vegas years ago and it pitted/scratched the hell out of my windshield.