NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Noises, Squeaks, Rattles and Solutions Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-15, 08:39 AM
benny56
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes ! lexus so called field person with persuasive comments about how its a normal characteristic sound of the suspension to make a squeaking sound! i live in nyc the road is rough and really bring out any defect if any by any vehicle . i will post a video of it! I'm trying to get a go pro camera to attached near front rims of vehicle to get best sound of annoying squeaking like the suspension is already old!

Last edited by benny56; 12-12-15 at 08:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-12-15, 09:26 AM
benny56
Driver School Candidate

check my my post on suspension noisy
Old 12-12-15, 03:59 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

New suspensions don't squeak unless there's missing lubrication... it's possible a joint somewhere is missing it.
Old 12-16-15, 05:55 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default Tap noise driver's side lower door or footwell

I've had this for a couple months now. This occasional tap (almost "clunk-like" at times) on the driver's side near the footwell that happens more commonly over undulating roads where suspension travel is pronounced.

I jacked up the car, tightened some clips holding the panels underneath, to no avail. Also checked for suspension looseness and everything is tight. Same with my dealer - they found nothing.

Made this video to record the issue. Anyone with this noise?

Old 12-17-15, 09:13 AM
chandlervt
Driver

Originally Posted by gdcheng
I have noticed a clunk in the front end when first starting out and then stepping on the brakes. sound like lower control arms or steering linkage.
Geoff
That sounds like hill-assist. Manual says thats normal. It should happen when you release brakes and are starting from stop. If its happening when you apply brakes, then its something else.
Old 12-17-15, 06:43 PM
skabei
Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I've had this for a couple months now. This occasional tap (almost "clunk-like" at times) on the driver's side near the footwell that happens more commonly over undulating roads where suspension travel is pronounced.

I jacked up the car, tightened some clips holding the panels underneath, to no avail. Also checked for suspension looseness and everything is tight. Same with my dealer - they found nothing.

Made this video to record the issue. Anyone with this noise?
Corrado,

You seemed to have experienced all of the noises, squeaks and rattles that have been posted in this thread plus all of the ones that you reported.

I noticed a few one-off rattles here and there that I don't really give a second thought once I notice it because they normally go away. Are you exploring and examining every sound you hear in your car? There's no way that your car can be that faulty.
Old 12-18-15, 01:08 PM
NXdriver
Driver School Candidate

Default Wind noise, rattle, squeak

I also noted the excessive wind noise on the driver's side, along with a rattle just below and behind the driver seat which would happen around 40 mph. Took it to the dealer yesterday and they said it was a known issue and that they would have a fix by the next day. I was very happy to know I wasn't loosing my mind and that they were going to resolve it. Still waiting to get it back, and will be interested to see if it is both the wind noise and the rattle that are addressed.

Also, there was an infuriating (although admittedly soft) squeaking coming from somewhere around the console that I could not pinpoint. Then one day my daughter figured out that if she put her hand on that little leather rectangle that sits behind the touch pad, the noise stopped. I guess I can live with it as long as I know what it is.
Old 12-18-15, 08:49 PM
skabei
Driver

Originally Posted by NXdriver
I also noted the excessive wind noise on the driver's side, along with a rattle just below and behind the driver seat which would happen around 40 mph. Took it to the dealer yesterday and they said it was a known issue and that they would have a fix by the next day. I was very happy to know I wasn't loosing my mind and that they were going to resolve it. Still waiting to get it back, and will be interested to see if it is both the wind noise and the rattle that are addressed.

Also, there was an infuriating (although admittedly soft) squeaking coming from somewhere around the console that I could not pinpoint. Then one day my daughter figured out that if she put her hand on that little leather rectangle that sits behind the touch pad, the noise stopped. I guess I can live with it as long as I know what it is.
Please do let us know if the wind noise is lessened. I would very much like to fix this.
Old 12-19-15, 06:44 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by skabei
Corrado,

You seemed to have experienced all of the noises, squeaks and rattles that have been posted in this thread plus all of the ones that you reported.

I noticed a few one-off rattles here and there that I don't really give a second thought once I notice it because they normally go away. Are you exploring and examining every sound you hear in your car? There's no way that your car can be that faulty.
I have a low tolerance for squeaks and rattles so it's more "me" than "the NX". I've built about 10 years experience tackling these on several Lexus vehicles as well as others so I'm automatically sensitive to noises and hone in on them.

The NX is pretty tight but like all cars, temp extremes will temporarily create more squeaks/rattles which I'm ok with. But some noises like the rear armrest and a door tapping noise, both video recorded above, are hard to dismiss since they occur regularly regardless of temperature variations in my specific NX.

PS. My NX has been at the dealer for two days already for the tapping noise. The dealer is stumped and still cannot find the source though they have acknowledged the noise with me in the two test drives and will keep at it - all suspension and brake components are tight. They will continue to work on it today into Monday and update me then. Of course they know me very well over the years and if they see me for a noise issue, they know it's because I couldn't figure it out and they're in for a tough one!
Old 12-19-15, 03:40 PM
skabei
Driver

I have a low tolerance for squeaks and rattles so it's more "me" than "the NX". I've built about 10 years experience tackling these on several Lexus vehicles as well as others so I'm automatically sensitive to noises and hone in on them.

The NX is pretty tight but like all cars, temp extremes will temporarily create more squeaks/rattles which I'm ok with. But some noises like the rear armrest and a door tapping noise, both video recorded above, are hard to dismiss since they occur regularly regardless of temperature variations in my specific NX.

PS. My NX has been at the dealer for two days already for the tapping noise. The dealer is stumped and still cannot find the source though they have acknowledged the noise with me in the two test drives and will keep at it - all suspension and brake components are tight. They will continue to work on it today into Monday and update me then. Of course they know me very well over the years and if they see me for a noise issue, they know it's because I couldn't figure it out and they're in for a tough one!
How do you feel Lexus cars are in general with rattles, squeaks and etc? I was actually expecting a more or less flawless car before picking up my NX but I now realize that that was a completely unrealistic expectation. I'm very happy with the NX, but some details could have been improved. I guess this is also what I get for buying a first year first gen.
Old 12-19-15, 06:39 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by skabei
How do you feel Lexus cars are in general with rattles, squeaks and etc? I was actually expecting a more or less flawless car before picking up my NX but I now realize that that was a completely unrealistic expectation. I'm very happy with the NX, but some details could have been improved. I guess this is also what I get for buying a first year first gen.
My personal experience with these from worse to good and regarding main squeaks/rattles listed:

"Solidity" score, 1 being a rattle trap, 10 bank vault solid

4/10 - 2013 RX F Sport (rear door hatch, rear seat, front passenger seat, B-pillar ticking, grab bar handle, door window trim, door latch, brake pad shift click on reverse)

6/10 - 2008 IS (center stack, grab bar handle, window trim, dash vents, brake pad shift click on reverse)

7/10 - 2011 CT (front passenger seat, center console side trim, grab bar handles)

8/10 - 2015 NX (rear seat center arm rest, center stack cover, door/footwell tapping, grab bar handles, rearview mirror, brake pad shift on reverse)

8/10 - 2007/2005 RX (dash board clips, dash vents, rear door hatch, brake pad shift on reverse )

8.5/10 - 2014 IS (B-pillar trim, grab bar, driver's door latch, brake pad shift on reverse)

'13 RX by far the worst one while the NX is considerably more solid. The above looks pretty bad I know from the long list of specifics, but most people including my wife don't notice them or go looking for them like I do. You'll hear some creaks here and there in winter more than summer but it's temporary so don't sweat it.

Compared to other brands in my experience:

- Toyota and Hyundai are worst offenders like the Camry, RAV4, Venza, and Elantra models I've experienced as rentals or from family members. A Ford Fusion I had last month for a week was surprisingly very tight. I'd put Lexus upper mid-pack while I hear the Germans are more solid these days. Then again, I'll take a couple of squeaks which I can probably fix on my spare time versus a major mechanical or electrical issue leaving me stranded somewhere.
Old 12-26-15, 10:16 AM
skabei
Driver

My personal experience with these from worse to good and regarding main squeaks/rattles listed:

"Solidity" score, 1 being a rattle trap, 10 bank vault solid

4/10 - 2013 RX F Sport (rear door hatch, rear seat, front passenger seat, B-pillar ticking, grab bar handle, door window trim, door latch, brake pad shift click on reverse)

6/10 - 2008 IS (center stack, grab bar handle, window trim, dash vents, brake pad shift click on reverse)

7/10 - 2011 CT (front passenger seat, center console side trim, grab bar handles)

8/10 - 2015 NX (rear seat center arm rest, center stack cover, door/footwell tapping, grab bar handles, rearview mirror, brake pad shift on reverse)

8/10 - 2007/2005 RX (dash board clips, dash vents, rear door hatch, brake pad shift on reverse )

8.5/10 - 2014 IS (B-pillar trim, grab bar, driver's door latch, brake pad shift on reverse)

'13 RX by far the worst one while the NX is considerably more solid. The above looks pretty bad I know from the long list of specifics, but most people including my wife don't notice them or go looking for them like I do. You'll hear some creaks here and there in winter more than summer but it's temporary so don't sweat it.

Compared to other brands in my experience:

- Toyota and Hyundai are worst offenders like the Camry, RAV4, Venza, and Elantra models I've experienced as rentals or from family members. A Ford Fusion I had last month for a week was surprisingly very tight. I'd put Lexus upper mid-pack while I hear the Germans are more solid these days. Then again, I'll take a couple of squeaks which I can probably fix on my spare time versus a major mechanical or electrical issue leaving me stranded somewhere.
I'm very surprised about your '13 RX. I guess it was just a lemon?

With my previous TL, I got rattles that were all known and addressed through TSBs but I still got the occasional rattle that annoyed me. I was expecting better with Lexus and that's pretty much what I got, though I still hear the occasional rattle when it's cold (I'm hearing a rattle with the middle seat belt for the back seat). I now realize that my TL actually wasn't that bad, but since it was only my second car I had no idea. My first car, a 2013 Accord Coupe, had only 1 very occasional rattle in the dash on the absolute coldest days, but other than that I remember it being more rattle free than my NX.

I feel that hearing noises inside the cabin is simply more of a thing with SUVs because you can hear everything in your trunk, from things sliding around to the zippers on your gym bag.

Rattles is also the primary reason I didn't even walk into an Infiniti dealership to look at the QX50. I cross shopped primarily between the 2016 RDX and the 2015 NX.
Old 12-27-15, 05:26 AM
coooolwhip
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by benny56
im also having a problem with lexus nx 200 t F . The suspension continues to make squeaking noisy when going over bumps and some rough roads. its began sounding more frequent after the 1,000 mile on the road. lexus have test the nx on the road and have claim its a normal characteristic sound the vehicle makes. i taking them to lemon law court to fight the case> please help with any information to help with case. thank you
My 2016 NX200T also makes the squeaking noise. It mostly sounds like it's coming from the drivers side but both rear and front and happens when I go over bumps. It's actually two different squeaks. The first squeak is when I run over a bump and the second type of squeak is when the car is bouncing up and down after the bump.
Old 12-27-15, 10:03 AM
jdt
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Steering noise

So I've recently noticed that everytime i pull out from my garage and make a 90 degree turn onto the drive way, I would hear a single "cracking" noise. It happens when I go from having the steering wheel turned about 3/4 of the way in either direction back to normal. Anyone else have a similar issue? Could it be from the rust spray I got at an after market place or is it just that the car is still relatively new (has 1700km on it so far).

I also had my rear suspension checked because of a squeaky noise. Dealer said it was due to the rust spray going onto my suspension and if I wanted the noise to go away I would have to pay them to remove the spray.
Old 12-27-15, 12:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^Some noises as you describe do occur with me as well under the same conditions, but was from day 1 and it's normal. Now, yours may or may not be different so if you have a video, post it and let's see (hear) for other opinions.

Quick Reply: NX Noises, Squeaks, Rattles and Solutions Thread