NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Noises, Squeaks, Rattles and Solutions Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-16, 05:34 AM
1halifax
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chandlervt
It was not metal on metal rattle.. more like plastic on plastic. It felt like some clip is loose. The leaves I found were big dried leaves..

halifax

My rattle seemed similar to yours but cause seems to be different. Did you open the hood and check the area I am mentioning? Once few small acorn seeds fell in to the cowl below wipers on my corolla and it annoyed me to no end. Won't hurt to check there. I would have never guessed to look in to that area because to me the sound was coming from the left of driver or to the back left.

Now only if I can figure out the annoying rattle I am getting in my new 15'RX from cargo/rear seat.
Its freezing cold here today, so I will wait until I get it home in the garage tonight and check. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 01-05-16, 09:22 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Oddly, its January in PA, and this was the first time I have driven the NX in below 25F weather.

About 1/2 way to work (car sits in a garage that is usually 40-60F during the winter), the roof started making the worst sounds. It was sounds of sheet metal smacking and hitting, plastic being hit with something, and just various amounts of slamming. I am sure this is just thermal contraction, but mother of god.....

For $50k, I expected better. This is worse than my wife's '06 tC was in the coldest points of winter.
Probably sunroof rattle
Old 01-05-16, 01:09 PM
chandlervt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I did find some loose leaves a week ago in the cowl area but didn't look really deep in crevices. Was your noise consistent? Mine only occurs sporadically like a handful of times in a 15 minute drive.

RX - My past RX's rear seat rattled like there was no tomorrow. If it doesn't rattle with people seated, that's your issue. Also could be the removable small cover attached on the hatch that is creaking, something under your subfloor loose, etc. Check the RX forum there are a few threads we put up on this.
NX-It was not consistent and definitely nothing if speed was below 40mph. Above 40mph, I would get it some times. I guess it all depends on the angle of air hitting the leaves. Everytime I would try to move my head to get closer to the sound it would go away. It was so annoying. I drove from La to TX and would get it randomly.

RX - I think its the tonneau cover for privacy (the one that folds - not sure if I got the name right). I usually keep it folded. Today, I pulled it and engaged it in to the slot after going through the threads you mentioned. The rattle is definitely not there. Drove all the way to work and couldn't hear it. If its not going there while back home, then I am just going to remove that cover from the car althogether. I don't need it. I noticed the small cover attached to the rear door as well but it seems to snug and no play. Thanks for the update on it.
Old 01-05-16, 06:27 PM
Dafast1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It was sounds of sheet metal smacking and hitting, plastic being hit with something, and just various amounts of slamming. I am sure this is just thermal contraction, but mother of god.....
For $50k, I expected better
. This is worse than my wife's '06 tC was in the coldest points of winter.
...that's IT...but I wouldn't attribute our slamming to thermal contraction; our garage is not heated, the outside temp difference night to day has been very small. Service appointment scheduled for next week (I can't convince her to trade it quickly for an RX...yet)
Old 01-06-16, 02:00 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

UPDATE: Got a call from my SA today. DarthNX has been at the dealer for three days straight, they still cannot isolate the source of the tapping/rattle. I know it's a tough one since I've spent hours trying to isolate it to no avail. I have an ES loaner in the mean time which I will have as long as it takes them to find the issue which could be days more...
So I got the NX back last night after a week at the dealer, and through process of elimination, they believe the tap/rattle is coming from the damper. They're not 100% sure but everything else that is externally validated checked out fine. They've put an order for the AVS damper (~$1K). All under warranty of course. No ETA.
Old 01-06-16, 08:43 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

So I got the NX back last night after a week at the dealer, and through process of elimination, they believe the tap/rattle is coming from the damper. They're not 100% sure but everything else that is externally validated checked out fine. They've put an order for the AVS damper (~$1K). All under warranty of course. No ETA.
So, they attributed the noise to bad shocks?
Old 01-07-16, 04:45 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Depending on how many miles you have on the car, I would suggest to them that they replace both sides at once. Otherwise you run the risk of having the car sit uneven, which is bad for the suspension and tires.
Old 01-07-16, 04:52 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by NXOwner
So, they attributed the noise to bad shocks?
through process of elimination, but not a smoking gun determination. I'll only know once it's replaced and hopefully it's gone. It is possible since one or two other international members posted elsewhere they had a thump or rattle noise with their AVS damper and they got it replaced I believe. My dealer will also changing the entire boot and stopper at top just in case.

Depending on how many miles you have on the car, I would suggest to them that they replace both sides at once. Otherwise you run the risk of having the car sit uneven, which is bad for the suspension and tires.
19k km... 12k miles... not too high?
Old 01-11-16, 04:37 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

They replacing springs or damper only. Springs settle a shade......damper not so much.

"At the rear, a newly devised trailing arm double wishbone rear suspension system optimizes agility,
stability and ride comfort. Separating the coil springs and damper units also minimizes suspension
component intrusion into the luggage compartment and allows for the lowest possible load space floor."
Old 01-12-16, 06:29 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

through process of elimination, but not a smoking gun determination. I'll only know once it's replaced and hopefully it's gone. It is possible since one or two other international members posted elsewhere they had a thump or rattle noise with their AVS damper and they got it replaced I believe. My dealer will also changing the entire boot and stopper at top just in case.

19k km... 12k miles... not too high?
Never hurts to try lol
Old 01-29-16, 03:08 PM
KL5123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear the tap/rattle noise coming from front driver area while driving slow/high speed or even making turn while backing up from parking space. So I believed it's from the driver side damper. I have scheduled a dealer visit tomorrow and I'll post update later.
Old 01-30-16, 03:49 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by KL5123
I hear the tap/rattle noise coming from front driver area while driving slow/high speed or even making turn while backing up from parking space. So I believed it's from the driver side damper. I have scheduled a dealer visit tomorrow and I'll post update later.
I'm getting mine back today after the damper replacement. Will update later today.
Old 01-30-16, 05:19 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Got the damper replaced.

I heard a tap once on my drive back home and another one later in the day while running errands. Prior to the replacement, I'd hear it several times during a commute. Improvement yes, but don't believe this has resolved my particular issue. I'll keep "an ear" on the situation as the week progresses.
Old 02-01-16, 04:33 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 613 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by skabei
Please do let us know if the wind noise is lessened. I would very much like to fix this.
Was this fixed? I noticed it a few days ago when it was very windy. Most likely it will not be replicable the day I bring it into the dealer. It's better to be able to tell them the area of problem.
Old 02-01-16, 07:21 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^No fix unfortunately at this time. Best to report it to your dealer and have them open a case with corporate so it's recorded.

Quick Reply: NX Noises, Squeaks, Rattles and Solutions Thread