NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Noises, Squeaks, Rattles and Solutions Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-16, 06:50 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Was driving to work this morning and as I tried to turn my radio up, I found that neither my steering wheel buttons or the **** changed my volume. It took about 10 minutes of driving before I regained control over the volume...

Then, about 30 minutes into my drive, I started picking up a weird high pitched sound. Muted the radio and I could only hear it if I turned my face toward the screen. I turned the radio back up, and then the high pitched sound volume would change with radio volume. Same pitch, just louder. So then I shut the entire radio off, and the sound went away. Waited 2-3 minutes, turned the radio back on and its gone.

My car was built on a Friday, I'm sure of it. I shall not miss this car at all.
Old 02-02-16, 05:02 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Was driving to work this morning and as I tried to turn my radio up, I found that neither my steering wheel buttons or the **** changed my volume. It took about 10 minutes of driving before I regained control over the volume...

Then, about 30 minutes into my drive, I started picking up a weird high pitched sound. Muted the radio and I could only hear it if I turned my face toward the screen. I turned the radio back up, and then the high pitched sound volume would change with radio volume. Same pitch, just louder. So then I shut the entire radio off, and the sound went away. Waited 2-3 minutes, turned the radio back on and its gone.

My car was built on a Friday, I'm sure of it. I shall not miss this car at all.
Keep the power/volume **** pressed and the system reboots in 5-10secs. All good. No drama, no hysterics.
Old 02-02-16, 05:33 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by miop4000
Keep the power/volume **** pressed and the system reboots in 5-10secs. All good. No drama, no hysterics.
You do realize that has nothing to do with the high pitched sound from the speaker, right?
Old 02-03-16, 07:57 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
You do realize that has nothing to do with the high pitched sound from the speaker, right?
Swacer, since the entire system - radio included - is controlled by a microprocessor, it's entirely possible that a "hang" may cause a false tone to be emitted by the speaker. That said, I wasn't there so this is merely a thought.
Old 02-04-16, 11:40 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Could your mobile phone have fallen back to using Edge (aka early 3G or Enhanced GPRS) speed? I remember back in the day of Edge, that whenever the phone would be syncing my email and such, it would interfere with radios. When 4G came out (which was a step or two above Edge), the interference went away. Rarely will my phone fall back from from 4G to Edge/3G, which always seemed to produce interference.
Old 02-05-16, 04:30 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
Swacer, since the entire system - radio included - is controlled by a microprocessor, it's entirely possible that a "hang" may cause a false tone to be emitted by the speaker. That said, I wasn't there so this is merely a thought.
The possibility may exist as it crossed my mind. I worried more about a bad ground.

Haven't had it since though, so that's good. The subwoofer has sounded like crap all winter. Sounds like cheap rattling plastic like the hatch of our tC and I have bass at the middle setting....

if I was keeping it longer, I would have to follow MR2's lead and tear that hatch open and sound proof it. Otherwise I would go nuts. MR2, what did you use to soundproof? I was going to apply it to the inside of the doors on the 4R to get rid of the hollow sound. PM me, thanks!
Old 02-09-16, 11:29 AM
KL5123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Got the damper replaced.

I heard a tap once on my drive back home and another one later in the day while running errands. Prior to the replacement, I'd hear it several times during a commute. Improvement yes, but don't believe this has resolved my particular issue. I'll keep "an ear" on the situation as the week progresses.
Can you still hear the tap? I got a call from the dealer today and my car is ready to pick up. They said it was the bolt that hold the rain wiper motor was loose. They tighten the bolt and the rattle noise is gone. I'll pick up my car this Saturday and see if this really fixed the issue.
Old 02-09-16, 01:09 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by KL5123
Can you still hear the tap? I got a call from the dealer today and my car is ready to pick up. They said it was the bolt that hold the rain wiper motor was loose. They tighten the bolt and the rattle noise is gone. I'll pick up my car this Saturday and see if this really fixed the issue.
It's far more sporadic than it was. Honestly inconclusive. It's not bothering me as much now but I will look into the wiper motor. Thanks for posting! Do you know where it is and how to access it?
Old 02-09-16, 02:16 PM
KL5123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
It's far more sporadic than it was. Honestly inconclusive. It's not bothering me as much now but I will look into the wiper motor. Thanks for posting! Do you know where it is and how to access it?
Not sure how to access it. I can try to find the service guy and ask when I pick up my car on Saturday.
Old 02-10-16, 04:48 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by KL5123
Not sure how to access it. I can try to find the service guy and ask when I pick up my car on Saturday.
Sure thanks. I'll poke around too later this week as my wife's been driving it. It might be at the firewall in the engine bay. Not sure...
Old 02-18-16, 01:04 AM
miop4000
Intermediate

Damn! I've started hearing the tap.
Mine's an fsport turbo with adaptive dampers and at 4500kms.
Occurs usually at low speed when there's a torsional load on the chassis.
Hard to pinpoint whether it's front or back! Definitely on the driver's side however.
Suspect suspension component.
Seems to be a number of owners starting to have the problem.
Old 02-22-16, 07:43 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 583 Likes on 389 Posts

It was windy a few days ago and it was rattling and the day after it didn't happen. A few days later driving about 120km/hr, I hear it rattle again, so I was looking at all the clips and stuff and I think I found the cause. Want other NX owners to see if it's similar on yours.

Under the driver side/door, there is this panel that covers some tubes/cables. It gets a bit loose and could rattle on the frame. if it gets too windy.

Underneath the driver side/door, there is this plastic cover which covers some tubes/cables. If you press up a bit it's a bit loose.
Old 02-22-16, 03:00 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Lots of loose panels underneath. Noise much more significant than a panel tap. Rav 4 forums highlight this issue. Suspect TSB will eventually be released for NX.
Old 02-23-16, 02:42 AM
miop4000
Intermediate

Ok, the tap has become a clunk and definitely from the rear. Checked the RAV4 forums and found this specific TSB.

REAR SUSPENSION
Date Reported
DECEMBER 20, 2013
NHTSA Reference
TSB Reference
#TSB-0187-13
Description: TOYOTA: THERE IS A CLUNKING NOISE HEARD COMING FROM REAR OF VEHICLE AND ONE OR BOTH REAR STABILIZER LINKS ARE DAMAGED. MODEL 2006-2012 RAV4. *PE
Old 02-23-16, 09:36 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

To conclude my problem listed on the previous page, the high pitch sound keeps returning. However, while driving home yesterday I decided to shut my HVAC fan off (as the sound remained after the radio was turned off), and as the fan shut off, the sound went away. Turned the fan back up (to level 2), sound returned. Off, sound disappears. I then turned the fan up to its highest speed, the sound got loud and louder, then all of a sudden silent. I turned it back down to 2 and there is no noise.

Leads me to believe that something is funky in the blower fan.

Quick Reply: NX Noises, Squeaks, Rattles and Solutions Thread